News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

A Rogue Course in New Mexico and a potential "Hidden Gem"
« on: April 28, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
Coyote Del Malpais in Grants, NM defies closure and opens

https://www.golf.com/travel/2020/04/28/new-mexico-golf-coronavirus-open

Hidden Gem?

As for the golf course in question? That would be Coyote del Malpais. The course was designed by William Howard Neff, whose credits include a number of courses in northern Utah, and opened in 1994. The course measures over 7,000 yards, but you’ll get some extra fly with your drives — Coyote sits at over 6,000 feet elevation. In the background, Mt. Taylor rises much higher (11,300 feet, high point of the San Mateo Mountains). It gets cool in the winters, but Coyote stays open year-round, weather permitting.

https://www.cityofgrants.net/coyote-del-malpais-golf-course
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

astavrides

Re: A Rogue Course in New Mexico and a potential "Hidden Gem"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »
The course is ok. A couple clunker holes. I've only seen fit to drive there once (75 min drive from me) in 6.5 years, but I could see doing it again, after the state order expires. It's usually pretty empty, which would help make me feel safer if I don't have viral antibodies.

I like the governor's analogy of the pee section of a swimming pool.

Kalen Braley

Re: A Rogue Course in New Mexico and a potential "Hidden Gem"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
I've played many of his courses here in No. Utah and while for the most part its fairly vanilla stuff, he's created a few gem holes.

Mt Ogden is his one course that I would label a regional hidden gem.  Its biggest weakness is too many narrow holes, but he made some really cool holes with interesting choices.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back