News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: a Place to stand in awe
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »
Thomas, your Westward Ho! shot is destined to be my new screen wallpaper --- with your permission of course.
Very kind of you to say so.
atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
A nice lift to contemplate these beautiful photos. Thomas, your Westward Ho! shot is destined to be my new screen wallpaper --- with your permission of course.

Keep them coming...

I took that picture and have it on my desk. It's my favorite fairway in all of golf.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:57:55 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
A nice lift to contemplate these beautiful photos. Thomas, your Westward Ho! shot is destined to be my new screen wallpaper --- with your permission of course.
Keep them coming...
I took that picture and have it on my desk. It's y favorite fairway in all of golf.
I presume you mean you took a near identical photo from a nearly identical spot! :) I suspect over the years more than a few other folk have taken a photo from a nearly identical spot as well! :)
It's a magnificent location, certainly a place to stand in awe.
atb
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:34:40 PM by Thomas Dai »

Paul Dolton

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »
The 5 th tee Isle of Purbeck Golf Club.
Looking over Poole harbour.
Wish I knew how to get a photo up!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
Keep them coming...
I took that picture and have it on my desk. It's y favorite fairway in all of golf.
I presume you mean you took a near identical photo from a nearly identical spot! :) I suspect over the years more than a few other folk have taken a photo from a nearly identical spot as well! :)
It's a magnificent location, certainly a place to stand in awe.
atb

Not as good as yours but here is mine.

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
I do need to get to Australia and New Zealand again. There are a bunch of courses I have yet to play.

If you're thinking of going to NZ, you'd better plan a long trip of it. 

Sounds like a plan...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2020, 12:37:30 AM »
Now that you changed the title I would request leave to amend to the view from the 7th tee at Gullane 1 on a clear day: Muirfield, the castle, the bridge the firth plus Gullane below.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2020, 01:15:17 AM »
My favorite view in golf is looking off into the distance behind the 2nd green at Sand Hills....anyone who is fortunate enough to be there would know what I mean.  A photo wouldn't capture the feeling.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
My favorite view in golf is looking off into the distance behind the 2nd green at Sand Hills....anyone who is fortunate enough to be there would know what I mean.  A photo wouldn't capture the feeling.

I'm proud to be part of a secret brotherhood who has seen that view in the shadow of a Huckaby smile.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2020, 03:11:15 AM »
My bride has specific instructions for my ashes...15th tee at Quaker Ridge in September or October about 2 hours prior to sunset...as the sun is dropping behind the trees on the distant left.  Pure beauty.

But to me right now, the most awesome sight in golf is the view from the porch at Oakmont.

JMEvensky

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
My bride has specific instructions for my ashes...15th tee at Quaker Ridge in September or October about 2 hours prior to sunset...as the sun is dropping behind the trees on the distant left.  Pure beauty.

But to me right now, the most awesome sight in golf is the view from the porch at Oakmont.

Ashes/Quaker Ridge would seem a dichotomy.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »
As soon as the virus breaks, my brother and I will be scattering Dad's ashes at #17 at Pebble and #13 at Olympic Lake . . . . . we waited until Mom passed away.

Her Redness has instructions to cast some to the wind beneath the magic Windmill and the rest on Olympic's Ocean and Cliffs courses . . . . . oh, and few spoonfuls in the planter boxes on Burlingame Avenue - in case there is no cold beer in the hereafter.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2020, 10:18:00 PM »
A number of places at Tara Iti, such as the clubhouse or the hill by the 15th tee.
The back tee at Bandon Dunes #3 so I can say hi to Uncle Bill, or maybe at the dogleg of 4.
14th tee at Pacific Dunes, needing to rest up after 13 and before tackling 14
Along the road above 1,2,3 at Sagebrush

Thomas Dai

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2020, 12:32:48 PM »

atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »

atb

The walk from 15 to 16 is one of the best walks in all of golf. It is like cresting the hill on number nine at Royal County Down.
St. John of the Cross

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
Two types of places come to mind for me. The first is when a course starts to unfold before you and in an instant you reach a peak (literally and figuratively) and look out into a vastness that appears to go on  forever. If you are in the right frame of mind it can be what Abraham Maslow called a peak experience... a moment of the highest happiness and fulfillment. That's happened to me a few times on golf courses, reaching the fourth tee and looking back from above and the eighth at Ballyneal and reaching the fifth tee at Rosses Point.

Balllyneal twilight round #8 view from mound behind green

Ballyneal #4 from tee

County Sligo Rosses Point #5 from tee par 5 heavenly view from elevated tee

The other time I recall being awestruck on a golf course was on my first golf trip with my dad and brother. My brother and I came to golf late (in our 40's) My dad was in his 70's. We played at the Las Vegas Paiute reservation. It was our first experience on anything other than a Parkland course. To see the emerald greens  dotting the barren surrounds made us wonder how anyone ever survived the journey there in horse drawn wagons. Of course it was only later we questioned whether the city itself or golf should be there.

Paiute Sun Mtn
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:42:23 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back