News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:07:06 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Sven Nilsen

Re: Bandon Dunes Caddies Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
Dr. Grieve,

Thanks for posting this.

Here's an article from GolfWeek penned by Tom Dunne discussing the effort:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/04/13/bandon-dunes-kiawah-island-caddies-go-fund-me/

Any help in getting word out about this fund drive would be greatly appreciated.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

William_G

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »
no worries Sven

350 caddies in need

thank you
It's all about the golf!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
Thanks for posting. Contribution made. Just of course so unfortunate that there are so many in need in so many walks of life.

Ira

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 07:50:29 AM »
William,
Nice of you to post this.  It goes without saying it is such a bad situation everywhere.  My wife has been writing checks constantly trying to help where we can.  Most of our caddies back here have other jobs but many count on that income to live.  You have to wonder how long it will take for remote places like Bandon to recover.  Who is going to feel safe to jump on an airplane and/or travel all the way to play there for the foreseeable future ???   Long road ahead for many :'(

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »
Mark:

Thanks for you post and thoughts.

Part and parcel to the fundraising effort, we are also trying to anticipate what caddying is going to look like when we get to the new normal.  The thought is to establish practices and procedures that address the safety not only of the guests, but the caddies as well. 

The great thing about Bandon is that many guests and the caddies have built relationships over a long number of years.  There's a loyalty that works both ways here.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
Sven,
I think you would agree, that golfer/caddie relationship is the same all over at many home clubs.  Those of us lucky enough to have a caddie program have our favorites and we know those caddies are hurting not getting any loops.  I don't know what it will be like going forward but it will have to come down to testing otherwise you are rolling the dice that one or both of you might have or be able to pass on the virus.  Some people don't care because they are young and/or think they will be fine if they get it.  But that is the big problem.  They have to realize they might not develop symptoms and/or can pass it on to someone else who might not be in the same risk profile.  A caddie by definition can't practice social distancing with their golfer.  They have to be passing clubs, balls, towels, ...back and forth constantly.  I just don't know  :(
Mark

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
 ::) :'(

I'm worried about the guys on the bag drop too. They really are so important to many operations and will likely be frowned upon by those who don't like the service as a rule. Pretty easy to see them as expendable by many!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »

I'm worried about the guys on the bag drop too. They really are so important to many operations and will likely be frowned upon by those who don't like the service as a rule. Pretty easy to see them as expendable by many!

Not so fast. Forget the dirt, clean that virus. Cleanliness after visiting a public space has never been more important.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »
Is the resort maint staff working? If so, couldn't they add some temp staff right now?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »
Sven,
I think you would agree, that golfer/caddie relationship is the same all over at many home clubs.  Those of us lucky enough to have a caddie program have our favorites and we know those caddies are hurting not getting any loops.  I don't know what it will be like going forward but it will have to come down to testing otherwise you are rolling the dice that one or both of you might have or be able to pass on the virus.  Some people don't care because they are young and/or think they will be fine if they get it.  But that is the big problem.  They have to realize they might not develop symptoms and/or can pass it on to someone else who might not be in the same risk profile.  A caddie by definition can't practice social distancing with their golfer.  They have to be passing clubs, balls, towels, ...back and forth constantly.  I just don't know  :(
Mark

Mark:

I wasn't trying to differentiate Bandon from private clubs with caddie programs.  If anything all I was saying is that for a resort/public course, it is truly special that these types of relationships develop.

It is those kind of relationships that might help to dull the future effect on caddying.  I've received a great number of messages from guests who are indicating they are committed to taking caddies when they return.  I hope we will be in a place where I can go out and carry a bag free of any concerns for their safety.

There are practices that can be put in place to make the player/caddie relationship safer.  There is a core group of caddies out here who are committed to working with the resort to make sure we have done all we can before we reopen to adapt to our changed world. 

Hope this helps clarify what I was trying to say above,

Sven

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »

Not so fast. Forget the dirt, clean that virus. Cleanliness after visiting a public space has never been more important.

Before we closed there were hand sanitizing stations put up all over the resort.  I actually got to shake Patrick Mahomes hand out here during the second week of March.  I regretted my imposition instantly, but was glad to see that he took advantage of the hand sanitizer available right inside the Pac Dunes clubhouse.

Sven

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
Is the resort maint staff working? If so, couldn't they add some temp staff right now?

The courses are being maintained.  As the crew now has a good deal more daylight to work with, the projects don't have to be confined to off-tee sheet times.  This may have messed with some of the guys sleep schedules, but maybe that's a good thing. 

We're hoping Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails are going to be in as good a shape as ever if/when the US Amateur is contested out here in August.

Sven

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »

The courses are being maintained.  As the crew now has a good deal more daylight to work with, the projects don't have to be confined to off-tee sheet times.  This may have messed with some of the guys sleep schedules, but maybe that's a good thing. 

We're hoping Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails are going to be in as good a shape as ever if/when the US Amateur is contested out here in August.

Sven
I thought it was supposed to be Bandon Dunes and Sheep Ranch?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »

Sven
I thought it was supposed to be Bandon Dunes and Sheep Ranch?

That would be news to me, and to a bunch of other people out here.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
One quick update on this.  We cracked the 170K barrier today, which sounds like a lot but will be spread out over 350 caddies and their families.

Thanks to any of you that have donated or helped to spread the word.  Every little bit helps.

Sven

https://www.gofundme.com/f/q33nw-bandon-caddie-relief-fund

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
For anyone that is interested, Bandon launched a collection of items this morning on their online store the net proceeds of which will be contributed to the Bandon Caddie Relief Fund.  A number of these items highlight the Greater Than Golf concept which the caddies have created as a mantra for the fundraiser and as part of an ongoing campaign to recognize the generosity shown during this campaign and pay it forward.

https://bandondunesgolfshop.com/collections/caddie-relief

As the fundraising effort winds down, there is still time to contribute directly to the fund itself.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/q33nw-bandon-caddie-relief-fund

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »
Auction tonight for a FlagBag Bandon themed carry bag - [/size]https://go.rallyup.com/flagbag

Wasn't someone just looking for something like this?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back