News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Golf in UK Post COVID-19
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »
The European Union says no U.S. travelers to be allowed in the short term. Not surprising based on what is going with the virus in the U.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
Not surprising because of politics. Screw em when they want our money or need our troops. They need to learn to take the good with the bad.

Tim Martin

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Not surprising because of politics. Screw em when they want our money or need our troops. They need to learn to take the good with the bad.

It seems that reciprocity is required and the U.S. is not letting the EU in. Who blinks first?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
I had no idea this was a quid pro quo pandemic.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
Does anyone know the mechanics of flying from the US to Inverness via LHR with Dornoch as a final destination?  Is the quarantine served in Dornoch upon arrival?  What are the chances that the quarantine will be lifted by the end of July for travelers from the US?  By the end of August?

John Emerson

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »
I am seriously starting to think my May 2021 trip is in jeopardy at this point. 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

David_Tepper

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
Lou D. -  My understanding is you would be able to fly into London (Heathrow or Gatwick) and make a connecting flight to Inverness. Under the present 14-day quarantine, you will be expected to serve your 14-days in the residence you declare (be it in Dornoch or elsewhere) upon your arrival at Inverness Airport.As far as how long the 14-day quarantine will stay in effect, who knows? Since it went into effect in early June,  I would expect that it will stay in force for 6 to 8 weeks at the very least, which would take it into late July/early August. But that is just a guess on my part.  DT  p.s. Check you messages!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:02:57 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2020, 02:53:42 AM »
David,

how long the quarantine stays in place for the US will depend more on the situation in the US than anything else. At the moment it is looking pretty scary over there and that is saying something for a UK resident  :-X 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2020, 03:41:37 AM »
What are the chances that the quarantine will be lifted by the end of July for travelers from the US?  By the end of August?
That entirely depends on the status of the virus in the US.  At the moment it looks unlikely to be relaxed at any time soon.  If anything, I'd expect to see a travel ban on people coming in from countries where the virus is out of control and, I'm sad to say, the US looks like one of those at the moment.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2020, 06:43:28 AM »

JK possibly the most ridiculous willy waving post I’ve read in a long term. Your chief medical guy reckons the the USA could have 100k new infections a day in the near future. With the death rate of confirmed cases relatively high you could be looking at 2000+ deaths a day, in comparison you averaged around 10,000 a month in WW2.
Cave Nil Vino

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2020, 07:16:18 AM »

JK possibly the most ridiculous willy waving post I’ve read in a long term. Your chief medical guy reckons the the USA could have 100k new infections a day in the near future. With the death rate of confirmed cases relatively high you could be looking at 2000+ deaths a day, in comparison you averaged around 10,000 a month in WW2.

Hope not. But I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of the 8,000 people who die everyday in this country will eventually have covid in their system.

David_Tepper

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2020, 08:58:43 AM »
Jon W. & Mark P. -

Just to be clear, the 14-day quarantine applies to people entering the U.K. from any country, not just the U.S. Correct?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551

DT

Mark Pearce

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »
Jon W. & Mark P. -

Just to be clear, the 14-day quarantine applies to people entering the U.K. from any country, not just the U.S. Correct?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551

DT
Yes.  But not those with "air bridges".
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »
For those wondering what "air bridges" are. :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53221896

Kalen Braley

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »
What are the chances that the quarantine will be lifted by the end of July for travelers from the US?  By the end of August?
That entirely depends on the status of the virus in the US.  At the moment it looks unlikely to be relaxed at any time soon.  If anything, I'd expect to see a travel ban on people coming in from countries where the virus is out of control and, I'm sad to say, the US looks like one of those at the moment.

Mark,

Your post is entirely accurate.  Its mind-blowing the number of people who are throwing temper tantrums and refusing to wear a mask or social distance, including politicians at the highest levels.  Seems an outright ban from all US locations is the prudent action, for really anywhere else in the world...

Daryl David

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
I am seriously starting to think my May 2021 trip is in jeopardy at this point.

It is.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2020, 01:58:25 PM »
If your May 2021 trip is in jeopardy because of Covid we're going to have a lot bigger problems than a golf trip.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Emerson

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »
If your May 2021 trip is in jeopardy because of Covid we're going to have a lot bigger problems than a golf trip.

You got that right!
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

JohnVDB

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
Does anyone know the mechanics of flying from the US to Inverness via LHR with Dornoch as a final destination?  Is the quarantine served in Dornoch upon arrival?  What are the chances that the quarantine will be lifted by the end of July for travelers from the US?  By the end of August?

Lou, 48 hours before you fly you need to fill out an online form found at [size=78%]https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control[/size]

If you go to that page, you’ll see there is also a separate link for Scotland as the Rules are slightly different there than England.

You tell them where you will be quarantined and you need to go there ASAP. They can come by at any time and check to see if you are there.  If you aren’t you could be fined £1000.

If you are using public transport to get to your place of quarantine, you must where face masks.

I have a trip planned that is exactly what you specified. Since I have my own place in Dornoch I’ll be quarantined there. I’m going for 6 weeks so if I spend the first 2 locked up, it will still be worth it.

It is still unclear if the quarantine will be lifted on July 20 which is the next time it is to be reviewed but I’m not optimistic that it will. Especially since Scotland is talking about imposing it on people coming up from England.

I have to say that with he EU ban on travel for the US, this is the first time I like Brexit.

jeffwarne

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2020, 08:53:21 PM »

Lou, 48 hours before you fly you need to fill out an online form found at [size=78%]https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control[/size]

If you go to that page, you’ll see there is also a separate link for Scotland as the Rules are slightly different there than England.

You tell them where you will be quarantined and you need to go there ASAP. They can come by at any time and check to see if you are there.  If you aren’t you could be fined £1000.

If you are using public transport to get to your place of quarantine, you must where face masks.

I have a trip planned that is exactly what you specified. Since I have my own place in Dornoch I’ll be quarantined there. I’m going for 6 weeks so if I spend the first 2 locked up, it will still be worth it.

It is still unclear if the quarantine will be lifted on July 20 which is the next time it is to be reviewed but I’m not optimistic that it will. Especially since Scotland is talking about imposing it on people coming up from England.

I have to say that with he EU ban on travel for the US, this is the first time I like Brexit.

Why not simply test upon arrival, and retest again in a few days.
14 day quarantine seems quite burdensome on a tourist economy when testing could provide a faster, more accurate answer.
But then it seems the same could be said of NY and its fake quarantine.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
Jeff, why is it fake? Because there is no way to check if people are complying?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
Jeff, why is it fake? Because there is no way to check if people are complying?

nobody's checking anybody.
I guess I should've used the word voluntary.
a very small % of people arrive on plane, as far as I know the only ones they are tracking
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daryl David

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »
It seems there are three kinds of quarantine going on depending on where you are going.

1. There is the Northeast version (similar to Canada) where you promise to stay somewhere for 14 days before moving around freely after arriving. There is no follow up or tracking. All voluntary.

2. The UK version requires the 14 days be in a place that can be verified. Presumably authorities will check either in person or by phone to ensure compliance. Some counties have used tracking devices and cell phone data to check on movement.

3. The full monty such as New Zealand and Australia where your 14 days is spent in a managed facility. (Usually an airport hotel that is empty due to all the travel restrictions). You are not allowed to leave until the 14 days are completed and have had a negative test.

None of this is sustainable. The first two options leak like a colander and the third is a recipe for ending your countries tourist industry. A system that catches cases before they get in the plane combined a test after three days in country would seem to be a more effective way to open your borders.

Chris Kane

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2020, 11:19:56 PM »
3. The full monty such as New Zealand and Australia where your 14 days is spent in a managed facility. (Usually an airport hotel that is empty due to all the travel restrictions). You are not allowed to leave until the 14 days are completed and have had a negative test.

Then there is 3(a) in Victoria, where inbound travellers have been spending 14 days in a city hotel where they fornicate with security guards:
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/explosive-new-claims-made-against-private-security-at-victorias-hotel-quarantine-c-1138978

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2020, 02:05:30 AM »

Why not simply test upon arrival, and retest again in a few days.
14 day quarantine seems quite burdensome on a tourist economy when testing could provide a faster, more accurate answer.
But then it seems the same could be said of NY and its fake quarantine.

I believe in Ireland, you have an option to spend €150 and wait for 3 hours upon arrival to get a test in the airport. This can bypass the 14 days quarantine if negative.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back