News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Junior Design Challenge 2020
« on: March 29, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
A nice program to get kids thinking about golf design. A great idea from designer Jay Smith (Florida), that was ramped up by ASGCA as a way to give kids something fun to do while staying at home during COVID-19. Our nieces and nephews are busy thinking up some clever golf holes!

Link to site with submission form:

https://asgca.org/great-junior-golf-design-challenge-2020/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:01:06 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

Re: Junior Design Challenge 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
That's a nice idea.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »
No fair submitting Tom! But I am sure you may have some followers who could come up with a few ideas.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 04:01:07 PM »
No fair submitting Tom! But I am sure you may have some followers who could come up with a few ideas.

My kids are too old, and my grandkids are (mostly) too young.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
If you have a local high school coach or league organizer, put it in her/his hands. I run our school's league, so I passed it along to the coaches of the other schools.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:23 PM »
A lot of high school and middle school interest — great idea.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Buck Wolter

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:01:49 PM »

My son is going to use this as a basis for a HS graphic design
class
final project (not often he thinks one of my ideas is worthwhile).

Thanks for sharing.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
Buck — It may well be one of the greatest joys of parenthood...having your adolescent listen to you!
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
Buck — It may well be one of the greatest rarest of rare joys of parenthood...having your adolescent listen to you!

Fixed that for you, Forrest. ;)   I asked HQ if grandpa could help at all, and they suggested I call my clients......ouch.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
You get a pass Jeff. Ass past presidents do  ;D
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 09:35:15 PM »
What a nice thing to do Forrest. Good on ya. I drew golf holes in all my math classes. I loved the one by a young fellow that drew a spike wheel and said, "If your golf ball touches one of them it will turn to ash!"
They do like water hazards.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 12:18:29 AM »
There is a lot more creativity and risk taking by many of these young people than I detect in "real world" golf design. What a shame.

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Matthew Rose

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 01:01:00 AM »
Carson from Mullen, NE clearly has Sand Hills on his mind :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
It is the interesting "story telling" that catches my attention. Many of the entries are accompanied by words, arrows and "instructions" that are from the heart and with great thought. In our "real world" of golf design the "grown ups" have lost the ability, for the most part, to think outside the box and propose new ways of attacking the great steeple chase of the golf. I truly think many of these young enthusiasts have no worry of par, yardage or traditional formats. They're just creating and exploring. Very, very refreshing.

Frankly, I think we could learn more from them than the other way around. These fresh minds are just thinking and asking "what would be interesting?" as they put pencil to paper.

Another remarkable lesson the teach us is that golf design begins with the ability to articulate thought to paper — at scale or nearly so — and only after that design phase, where we have something to consider, does the process of building begin. The ability to think from mind to paper is an essential ability. The notion that "it all happens on the ground with soil, machine and shaping" has long been pushed as a "method" where in reality it is a "continuation" of the full process.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:11:30 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
Carson from Mullen, NE clearly has Sand Hills on his mind :)

Not as much as Matthew from Ottawa!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »

Forrest,

It shows that lots of kids, if exposed to golf, think about becoming golf course architects.  It kind of reminds me of a youngster from AZ, who in the 1970's printed and distributed an architecture newsletter, and many architects actually subscribed.  Wonder what ever happened to that kid? ;)   But, if it plays out like our generation did, the vast majority of these kids will not go into architecture, some losing interest or thinking the dream is impossible, others steered away from it by well meaning (?) parents and counselors, or just graduating into a crappy job market, as the class of 2020 will find out, I think.

As to the value of plans, yeah I agree.  For thousands of years, designers of all types knew they needed to figure things out ahead of construction/manufacturing, production, etc. And, those here poo pooh 3D and CAD but it seems like it does nothing but confirm or improve the ability to visualize your design (or for members)  And as to the oft spread notion that those who draw plans don't fiddle on site (i.e., your continuation) is just false for most of us.  As is the idea that CAD somehow can only spew out standard designs.  Yes, garbage in, garbage out, but the input is still human driven.

Not to mention, while I agree that it is a waste to produce reams of plans, in fact, CAD allows those grassing, clearing, drainage, etc. separate sheets to be done with a few clicks of a button, once set up.  It does not waste time that the architect could have spend designing, not anymore.

The romantic notion of doing it all in the ground is more marketing than design, and I am always surprised at how many love that notion.  In reality, golf architecture becomes more scientific all the time, and you need very accurate plans for wetlands, ADA, etc. on many projects.  Sure, we would all love dream project after dream project, a la Sand Hills, and it has obviously happened that way for a few, but it is not real life, even if that is what participants here always dream of being involved in.

I
t makes sense that there would be an "equal and opposite" reaction among many. In reality, and IMHO, I think the reaction is to the more standardized finished products after WWII, and not necessarily the planning method. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »
It is quite heartening to see so many girls participate. I wish more women were active on gca.com.

Ira

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »
Maybe a good thread Ira.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back