News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #1075 on: January 04, 2021, 06:23:51 PM »
 8)  Why not name the place?  Are they going to ban you?

Sounds like price gouging, which may be illegal...  Are you going to ask all teh courses in Moore County?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dave Doxey

« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2021, 06:52:44 PM »
played a course today that displayed a "no single carts. single carts $30 surcharge" sign at the entrance and pro shop.
i booked alone so no worries but it pissed me off. Won't name the place but within 15 mins. of Pinehurst.

Not unusual.  I play in  senior league in northern Virginia that plays a wide selection of public and private courses.   In 2020, over half of the courses refused to provide single rider carts without charging extra. Most were publics.  Private courses tended to be more accommodating.

I wonder if, in the future,  cart companies will find a market for smaller, single rider carts.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #1077 on: January 04, 2021, 07:17:25 PM »
steve, didnt want to air it.
kalen, the place was EMPTY. took pics on every tee/approach. didnt see another golfer/group today.
covid bright side: never seen so many cigarette butts on a course in my life. so, lots of people are playing apparently...and still littering.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1078 on: January 04, 2021, 10:23:45 PM »
Just saw on BBC news that England and Scotland are on full lockdown til mid February. Yikes.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1079 on: January 05, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »
Just saw on BBC news that England and Scotland are on full lockdown til mid February. Yikes.
Golf still permitted in Scotland but no golf now allowed in England (nor Wales nor NI/RoI)
atb

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #1080 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »
on the bright side my club is now re-instituting club care, and sand/seed bottles are back. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1081 on: January 28, 2021, 05:03:05 AM »
After recent comments I imagine folks in England/Wales/NI will be damn lucky to be playing golfing again until at least 8th March, maybe longer.
atb

James Reader

« Reply #1082 on: January 28, 2021, 03:24:08 PM »
After recent comments I imagine folks in England/Wales/NI will be damn lucky to be playing golfing again until at least 8th March, maybe longer.
atb

I really can’t see any chance at all of a change in England before 8 March (they won’t do anything before the schools reopen) and I can imagine when they do allow golf again it’ll be very limited for a time. Two balls? Within 5 miles?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #1083 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:25 PM »
44 pages of comments.  Almost 1100 comments.  Going back to March 14, 2020.
What a horrible year!
Looking back over these comments, it seems so long ago--and yet like yesterday.
It also seems like one long nightmare from which we can't wake-up.
What will life be like for all of us a year from now?  Any golf restrictions left over?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1084 on: January 28, 2021, 11:14:47 PM »
People like me only have been inconvenienced. I have friends who have lost multiple family members to the disease. My grandchildren enrolled in an online Denver school and do ballet on ZOOM. My son has diabetes and my oldest granddaughter has a severe nut allergy. They are pretty much house bound. 2020 was just dreadful for so many. Hopefully by fall we can find life a bit more endurable and maybe even enjoyable.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #1085 on: January 29, 2021, 07:43:07 AM »
Destination clubs will continue to lag in 2021 while “home” clubs thrive. The appearance and incidence of the more virulent COVID-19 strains and the ability of vaccines against same are creating even more doubt going forward. Day trips will remain king.

Tim Martin

« Reply #1086 on: February 07, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
Yale will only allow Connecticut residents to play through the end of June when they will reassess protocols for the remainder of the season. Additionally there will be a daily fee option so that a membership isn’t required. Good for Connecticut residents and not so good for everyone else.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #1087 on: April 16, 2021, 06:04:43 PM »
Golf courses in the province of Ontario will close in 6 hours due to Covid - presumably for six weeks.  That sucks!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #1088 on: April 16, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »
Just got my second vaccine shot and am one week away from being Covid free, at least for now. Saw on the news that 3rd booster may be needed, but I am less apprehensive to leave the house and will still wear a mask if I am not around others who have been fully vaccinated. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1089 on: April 16, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
Golf courses in the province of Ontario will close in 6 hours due to Covid - presumably for six weeks.  That sucks!

Are there any other places where golf courses are closed?
St. John of the Cross

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #1090 on: April 17, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »

Ireland has had golf courses closed for more days than any other country in the world: 220ish in the last year.

From 26th April, we open up again for twoballs, members only.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1091 on: April 17, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »

Ireland has had golf courses closed for more days than any other country in the world: 220ish in the last year.

From 26th April, we open up again for twoballs, members only.

I know from my Irish friends how difficult this has been for many clubs, although there has been an influx of new members. I wonder how many courses might close because of lack of revenue.
St. John of the Cross

Rob Marshall

« Reply #1092 on: April 21, 2021, 08:34:33 PM »
I got my second shot a month ago and still wear a mask whenever I’m near other people. I’m not afraid to get it but the last thing I want is to give it to someone.

My Dentist told me the other day that his Scotland trip was postponed from 2020 to summer 2021 to fall 2021 and now is postponed to 2022. I can’t imagine what this is going to the small golf towns in Scotland and Ireland.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1093 on: April 22, 2021, 03:33:35 PM »
Curious to know if any private members clubs, ie clubs actually owned by the shareholding members themselves, kinda said “sod off” it’s our private land and just carried on playing golf on their course irrespective of any governmental/state edicts? Any country, any state etc. And did any action against them result? Genuinely curious to know.
Atb

Daryl David

« Reply #1094 on: April 22, 2021, 04:43:02 PM »
Curious to know if any private members clubs, ie clubs actually owned by the shareholding members themselves, kinda said “sod off” it’s our private land and just carried on playing golf on their course irrespective of any governmental/state edicts? Any country, any state etc. And did any action against them result? Genuinely curious to know.
Atb

Yes, there were several private clubs where I live that did say sod off. The thought being it’s our land, our homes, our decision. There were no actions taken against them.  One day the health authorities flew drones over them to document the play going on, but nothing was done about it.  And no, I’m not going to name names. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1095 on: April 22, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
I still wear my mask everywhere I go. I'm 61 and my nose hair grows exponentially without notice. I honestly hope masks become a staple of polite society.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1096 on: April 22, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Atb

Yes, there were several private clubs where I live that did say sod off. The thought being it’s our land, our homes, our decision. There were no actions taken against them.  One day the health authorities flew drones over them to document the play going on, but nothing was done about it.  And no, I’m not going to name names.

I have heard similar stories from GB&I friends. I sure don't blame them at all. However, when the courses in Maryland were closed for a bit last year I did not hear about anyone venturing out to play.
St. John of the Cross

Tim Martin

« Reply #1097 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »
I still wear my mask everywhere I go. I'm 61 and my nose hair grows exponentially without notice. I honestly hope masks become a staple of polite society.

;D

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1098 on: April 23, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
It is amazing what businesses have thrived. At the golf/ski resort where I live in Virginia golf had its best season in thirty years, mountain biking took in $150,000 more than last year, and skiing took in more than $2,000,000 more than any of the last ten years. In the last year 80 families joined the resort. It will allow us to put in a new lift and make some of the upgrades to our infrastructure. Even the restaurant, which was closed for two months, then had only take-out for four months, made money.

Houses sell in a week. People from N. Virginia want a second home whlie some are moving here full time and working from home. A friend of mine sold his house for $50,000 over his asking price.
St. John of the Cross

Jeff Schley

« Reply #1099 on: April 23, 2021, 02:15:00 PM »
Tommy, it is an odd phenomena this past year for sure. It really is surprising what has thrived I totally agree. You have some businesses that went bankrupt and restaurants going under everywhere. Then you had this huge capital injection in some areas, despite record unemployment numbers in our lifetimes, enormous bailouts and social support programs, over 500k dead; you have a stock market at record highs, housing hotter than 2007 it seems, and certainly those who had money a year ago invested with 50% more today.

More of a commentary on income inequality IMO, as with all the tragedy and suffering the well to do are even more so. Not their fault, but a litmus test in my view for changes that are needed in our system.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back