News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #1025 on: June 30, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »
 It is absurd and meaningless. But that's the way it is written. You are required to wear a mask on mass transit but you can't be denied entry if you aren't wearing a mask. Huh? Meaningless. If space is available to social distance you don't need a mask.

"While face coverings are required, no one will be removed from, or denied entry to, public transit for failure to wear a face covering.“
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #1026 on: June 30, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
It is absurd and meaningless. But that's the way it is written. You are required to wear a mask on mass transit but you can't be denied entry if you aren't wearing a mask. Huh? Meaningless. If space is available to social distance you don't need a mask.

"While face coverings are required, no one will be removed from, or denied entry to, public transit for failure to wear a face covering.“
Rob,
The public transit exception to the rules that have been in place here since early March is simply an acknowledgement of the fact that here a LOT of people ride the bus to work who simply don't have the money to buy a mask, and putting them out of work isn't the answer to their problems.  I'm sure the city would prefer not to make that distinction/exception, but I understand fully why we do so.

More to the point, the fact that the city provides that public transit exception to the rules, and ONLY that exception, implies that there are NOT other exceptions, like my neighbors' backyard.  I don't think that is very complicated or especially hard to understand.
I am, however, having a little trouble with figuring out why I continue to try to explain the obvious of what the rules are in my city to a guy living up upstate NY.  But I promise not to try to explain the rules in YOUR city to you. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rob Marshall

« Reply #1027 on: June 30, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »

You are reading what fits your agenda or beliefs. not what the words actually say. Next time call the police. I'm sure they will tell you how the rule works.

“All persons in the City and County of Durham are required to wear a clean face covering any time they are, or will be, in contact with other people who are not household members in public or private spaces where it is not possible to maintain social distance."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:16:29 PM by Rob Marshall »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #1028 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »

You are reading what fits your agenda or beliefs. not what the words actually say. Next time call the police. I'm sure they will tell you how the rule works.

“All persons in the City and County of Durham are required to wear a clean face covering any time they are, or will be, in contact with other people who are not household members in public or private spaces where it is not possible to maintain social distance."
Ok, Rob, you win.  We'll go with your "interpretation" of a rule that couldn't be more clear.  And I think I'm getting a pretty clear idea of YOUR agenda and beliefs as well, and I'm glad you're where you are, far, far away from here; you wouldn't be happy here.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #1029 on: July 01, 2020, 08:25:56 AM »

Rob,
The public transit exception to the rules that have been in place here since early March is simply an acknowledgement of the fact that here a LOT of people ride the bus to work who simply don't have the money to buy a mask, and putting them out of work isn't the answer to their problems.  I'm sure the city would prefer not to make that distinction/exception, but I understand fully why we do so.

More to the point, the fact that the city provides that public transit exception to the rules, and ONLY that exception, implies that there are NOT other exceptions, like my neighbors' backyard.  I don't think that is very complicated or especially hard to understand.
I am, however, having a little trouble with figuring out why I continue to try to explain the obvious of what the rules are in my city to a guy living up upstate NY.  But I promise not to try to explain the rules in YOUR city to you.

The idea that you get a pass from wearing a mask on a city bus because you can’t afford one is a reach. Just about anyone can fashion there own mask with materials they have at home. I see members of Congress wearing bandanas.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #1030 on: July 01, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »

Ok, Rob, you win.  We'll go with your "interpretation" of a rule that couldn't be more clear.  And I think I'm getting a pretty clear idea of YOUR agenda and beliefs as well, and I'm glad you're where you are, far, far away from here; you wouldn't be happy here.

My position on safety is very clear. I stated I don't agree with what your neighbors did. My point is, and always has been that the Durham rules don't say what you think they do. I think they should be written based on your interpretation. However they are not.

Tim, I just ordered two new masks for $20. They can be found much cheaper. In Rochester they were giving them away for free.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:12:23 AM by Rob Marshall »

Tim Martin

« Reply #1031 on: July 01, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »

My position on safety is very clear. I stated I don't agree with what your neighbors did. My point is, and always has been that the Durham rules don't say what you think they do. I think they should be written based on your interpretation. However they are not.

Tim, I just ordered two new masks for $20. They can be found much cheaper. In Rochester they were giving them away for free.

Rob-I think people have to think of masks at this point in time as an essential piece of clothing. You aren’t going to be allowed on a city bus if you have no pants on and it should be no different with a mask. This isn’t a political position but rather an appeal for common sense.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #1032 on: July 01, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
Tim, Agreed.

Tim Martin

« Reply #1033 on: July 02, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
I read this morning that University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa students are attending “COVID-19 parties” where they gamble on who will get sick first. Ouch!!!!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1034 on: July 02, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
A Devils Advocate kind of question - will anyone be naughty and rich enough to just pay the £1,000 fine and not bother to quarantine? And will there be any repercussions towards them?
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1035 on: July 02, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »
In this country no one seems to mind as golfers travel from hot zone to hot zone to hot zone. It's bizarre.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1036 on: July 02, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
I read this morning that University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa students are attending “COVID-19 parties” where they gamble on who will get sick first. Ouch!!!!!

Or who dies first.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #1037 on: July 02, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »
One person wears a shoe bomb on a plane, kills no one, and nearly 20 years later we're still taking our shoes off at the airport.

Over 100K people die, infections into the millions...and rising, and people can't wear a mask or social distance.

Nucking Futs...

Joe Zucker

« Reply #1038 on: July 03, 2020, 09:35:40 PM »
Austin has closed all city run courses indefinitely due to the increased cases in Texas.  To my knowledge the courses haven't been responsible for the spread, but the county is closing all parks and golf courses are lumped in.  A bit of a bummer.

JLahrman

« Reply #1039 on: July 03, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
Austin has closed all city run courses indefinitely due to the increased cases in Texas.  To my knowledge the courses haven't been responsible for the spread, but the county is closing all parks and golf courses are lumped in.  A bit of a bummer.

Yes Joe but we are Texans (even those of us living in the People's Republic of Austin) and therefore we are not going to do anything that anyone from the gub'ment tells us to do no matter how much sense it makes. William Travis did not die at the Alamo so that we would have to put on a mask when we go into the grocery store. Onward to our deaths, brave Texans!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #1040 on: July 06, 2020, 04:09:24 AM »
One person wears a shoe bomb on a plane, kills no one, and nearly 20 years later we're still taking our shoes off at the airport.

Over 100K people die, infections into the millions...and rising, and people can't wear a mask or social distance.

Nucking Futs...

Kalen this is ironic isn't it?

A fireman friend of mine said not wearing a mask is like going into a burning building without your oxygen tank because, "it doesn't look too bad." Take out your smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, sprinklers because the chances are low you will ever need them right?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #1041 on: July 06, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »

Nucking Futs...

A fireman friend of mine said not wearing a mask is like going into a burning building without your oxygen tank because, "it doesn't look too bad." Take out your smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, sprinklers because the chances are low you will ever need them right?

Actually, Not wearing a mask is more like flicking your still lit cigarette into a super tinder dry brush area in a Santa Anna wind with the direction being towards a major city you don't live in.
The mask isn't for you, and at some point, maybe our people will get that...while the rest of the world reopens for business safely.
And yes Mexico closed the border on us....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1042 on: August 22, 2020, 10:49:48 PM »
My clubs are still one person to a cart, but the holes are cut and the cups are installed normally. Rakes Where I live are still not in the bunkers. Masks are worn in the clubhouse but social distancing isn’t the norm.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #1043 on: August 23, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
And yes Mexico closed the border on us....

Really?  I guess that they're having a hard time enforcing the border.  A golf mate's daughter and new husband just spent their honeymoon near Cancun flying from the U.S.  I know another couple currently in Cabo for a few days with plans to return to the U.S. soon.   Perhaps the Mexican government will develop some empathy for their northern neighbors who are equally as unsuccessful.

Joel Lahrman,

One wonders why you put up with the many shortcomings of Texas and Texans.   Why not just load up your belongings and return to your more agreeable, enlightened environs of NoCal?  I think I know the answer, but certainly a man of your extraordinary abilities and keen political perceptions can find a way to earn a living in a safer, more progressive state.  ;)

I survived SoCal for two years, albeit in the then red Orange County before Sacramento rigged the elections.  Like you here, I was generally unhappy with the political situation there, but had the good sense of high-tailing back to Texas where I felt more at home.  10 years later I see the whole thing, moving there and returning, as a win-win situation for my family and both states.  I am sure that my CA friends, most of them trying to make ends meet in the private sector outside entertainment and Silicon Valley,  weren't cheery about my incessant whining against enabling a strong one-party system and the effect it would have on their quality of life.

To leave the natural beauty and great climate of coastal CA is no easy thing.  I can understand the reluctance and would counsel anyone contemplating a move to search their souls deeply before pulling the trigger.   And if they go through with it, they might brush up on their manners in preparation.  Texans are genuinely friendly and generous, but they are also practical as they are proud and they don't take kindly to people insulting them subtly or otherwise, or blowing smoke up their ass.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #1044 on: October 21, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »
It appears that all golf courses in the Republic of Ireland are being compelled to close.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #1045 on: October 21, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
It appears that all golf courses in the Republic of Ireland are being compelled to close.

This is indeed true. From midnight tonight.

It sets a horrible precedent because whilst we are going back in to some form of lockdown, it is not as strict as April with some sport and training ongoing, all construction ongoing and schools and colleges still open.

Any time we revisit this level of lockdown, golf will now be expected to close.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1046 on: October 21, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
Irish golf has been hit hard throughout this pandemic.
St. John of the Cross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1047 on: October 21, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »
For anyone who has ever complained about the high cost of golf in the U.S. please note that it is the only reason we are allowed to continue playing while so many other businesses are forced into failure.

Irish golf needs a more powerful demographic.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #1048 on: October 21, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
Hilarious John...if it were true. 

Even here in oppressive Utah the bars, night clubs, and "gentlemen's" club have all re-opened long ago!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1049 on: October 21, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »
Hilarious John...if it were true. 

Even here in oppressive Utah the bars, night clubs, and "gentlemen's" club have all re-opened long ago!

At what percentage of occupancy? Golf is full from day one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back