News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #950 on: May 14, 2020, 04:39:41 PM »
Contacted Bandon Dunes Resort regarding their practice of cart usage for medically challenged golfers (caddie drives cart for golfer).  They have ordered plastic dividers, which will hang from the roof, mid-cart.

Beats a bottle of Scope.

MCirba

« Reply #951 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »
Riverfront, in Suffolk, VA, has shut down the interior food service and put up a plexiglass sheet at the cash register.
This is not the problem.
The problem, like most things, is the 1 percent of the people who are not distancing.  If inspected, the state could shut it down.

Reminds me of 9th grade homeroom, where the tiniest minority spoils it for everyone else.

I've seen the same.  The courses have their stuff together big time.  But 20% of people are self-entitled morons who are going to ruin it for others.  The latest is the parking lot post-round drinking party sans masks and social distancing.

Were we always this stupid as a country?  I sense not.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #952 on: May 14, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
20% social distance. At most. Weigh the risk and play.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #953 on: May 14, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »

Slavery, women's suffrage, rampant racism, Cop Rock, war after war after war...I sense so.

MCirba

« Reply #954 on: May 14, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »

Slavery, women's suffrage, rampant racism, Cop Rock, war after war after war...I sense so.

Well, there's that.  Point taken.

But I do see 80% following guidelines, John.  I'm not so worried about getting infected on the course as I only play with others who are following.  Worried about the idiots getting us all shut down again.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #955 on: May 14, 2020, 05:33:48 PM »
You can't win, you can only try to survive. Yesterday I made a long birdie putt and my partner without hesitation picked my ball out of the hole and tossed it to me. It was just one of many violations of protocol that are inevitable over 4 hours in a competitive match. Honestly, I would put the likelihood of any one foursome completing 18 holes without a single instance of violating the most simple rule of 6' distancing at 2%.

It's no better at any venue but what woke me up was the waitress who hadn't worked for 2 months and had three kids at home. Is the oft chance of me getting sick and dying more important than her kids going to bed hungry. I think not. Eat up, play up, pay up..we've got lives to live and little time left to do it.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #956 on: May 14, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
The biggest COVIDiots in Pennsylvania are not golfers having a beer in a parking lot, they're the Governor and Secretary of Health.  My aged mother lives in a congregate setting in a PA county where 83% of COVID fatalities have been in such settings.  I'm keeping a pretty close eye on it, even though like many I can't visit.  Ordering homes to accept infected people was utterly reckless and fatal on a catastrophic scale.  Even as the Secretary's own mother was removed from long term care to a hospital.  Appalling. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #957 on: May 14, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
The biggest COVIDiots in Pennsylvania are not golfers having a beer in a parking lot, they're the Governor and Secretary of Health.  My aged mother lives in a congregate setting in a PA county where 83% of COVID fatalities have been in such settings.  I'm keeping a pretty close eye on it, even though like many I can't visit.  Ordering homes to accept infected people was utterly reckless and fatal on a catastrophic scale.  Even as the Secretary's own mother was removed from long term care to a hospital.  Appalling.

Cuomo did the same. Mind boggling to me.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #958 on: May 19, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »
I believe golf has now re-opened for play in Northern Ireland.
Not Scotland yet though.
atb

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #959 on: May 19, 2020, 07:16:51 AM »
Thomas
Received notification today from Portrush indicating NI courses to open on May 20th. They are awaiting confirmation and clarification from the Golfing Union of Ireland.

Ari Techner

« Reply #960 on: May 19, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
Nothing official for Scotland yet. Expecting an announcement Thursday.

archie_struthers

« Reply #961 on: May 19, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »
 8)

NJ opening for foursomes and practice facilities this Friday. NO caddies and have yet to see any other restrictions and or protocols. But golf is now  open for all intents and purposes otherwise.

Tim Martin

« Reply #962 on: May 19, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
8)

NJ opening for foursomes and practice facilities this Friday. NO caddies and have yet to see any other restrictions and or protocols. But golf is now  open for all intents and purposes otherwise.

Archie-Best of luck At Greate Bay with the reopen. :) 

Bernie Bell

« Reply #963 on: May 19, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Nothing official for Scotland yet. Expecting an announcement Thursday.

Possibly not opening in the home of golf until May 28?  Any reasons given? 

jeffwarne

« Reply #964 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:51 AM »
So as of now the geniuses running the show, in New York have announced new guidelines
Announced on a Saturday night no less....when we have been required to operate with one "security guard" on site, and no other staff.
We will be implementing next Thursday.

Carts-single riders(we are only allowing for over 70(if requested) and permanant medical disability-by reservation only)
Having only 20 carts we would run through in a hurry with single riders as our entire membership is living out here now, and we are doing peak season numbers, despite no guests.

Range-(we are only allowing 20 min warmup-4 extremely socially distanced spots 30-40 feet apart)

Caddies explicity forbidden

here's the gem-locker rooms ARE allowed to be open, yet on course bathrooms are NOT.
So instead of something easily controllable and cleanable like a bathroom on the course, one is expected to control flow in and out of a clubhouse,shower, locker area,etc. etc.
but can't service a small bathroom on the course where they actually need it.

We aren't opening our locker rooms or any other bathrooms due to this silly twist.
but I am considering designating our new locker room be located at #10 tee...

all of this amdist the backdrop of having lost my longest serving employee(Starter/heart and soul of the club) to the virus last week at his winter home in Ohio,
and being located in/near the world epicenter of the virus.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #965 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
Jeff,

The death of your starter is a tragic bring it home blow. Could you tell us more about him or post an Obit? I'm so very sorry.

jeffwarne

« Reply #966 on: May 19, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Jeff,

The death of your starter is a tragic bring it home blow. Could you tell us more about him or post an Obit? I'm so very sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.warne.92

Hopefully that gets you to my homepage
There's a tribute letter if you click
"more"
legend, good friend and more
LMK if it works
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #967 on: May 19, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »
So as of now the geniuses running the show, in New York have announced new guidelines
Announced on a Saturday night no less....when we have been required to operate with one "security guard" on site, and no other staff.
We will be implementing next Thursday.

Carts-single riders(we are only allowing for over 70(if requested) and permanant medical disability-by reservation only)
Having only 20 carts we would run through in a hurry with single riders as our entire membership is living out here now, and we are doing peak season numbers, despite no guests.

Range-(we are only allowing 20 min warmup-4 extremely socially distanced spots 30-40 feet apart)

Caddies explicity forbidden

here's the gem-locker rooms ARE allowed to be open, yet on course bathrooms are NOT.
So instead of something easily controllable and cleanable like a bathroom on the course, one is expected to control flow in and out of a clubhouse,shower, locker area,etc. etc.
but can't service a small bathroom on the course where they actually need it.

We aren't opening our locker rooms or any other bathrooms due to this silly twist.
but I am considering designating our new locker room be located at #10 tee...

all of this amdist the backdrop of having lost my longest serving employee(Starter/heart and soul of the club) to the virus last week at his winter home in Ohio,
and being located in/near the world epicenter of the virus.

Sorry to hear about your friend Jeff, awful.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

archie_struthers

« Reply #968 on: May 19, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
 :'(

Jeff , so sorry for your loss.  So often we see people in this game and line of work like your friend who are invaluable parts of a club. Loved the MaCallum story,  and I would be surprised if he didn't prepare one of the young guys to carry his methodology forward. Never to be forgotten!  :-*

Pat Burke

« Reply #969 on: May 21, 2020, 03:54:44 AM »
Nicely done Jeff.
I’m sorry for his family, friends,
Your members, staff and for you.

Sounds like one of those great guys that every great golf course has

Jeff Schley

« Reply #970 on: May 21, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »
Sounds like a wonderful man and condolences to the club and his family. Often times it is the starter/clubhouse/bartenders that give life to a club and only really can be appreciated when they are gone.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #971 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »
I sure hope curbside pickup is firmly in place going forward. If I ever have to go inside a restaurant again for takeout it will be too soon. Massachusetts recreational dispensaries have reopened with curbside pickup if you are looking to hit the hay. The times they are a changing!!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #972 on: June 18, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
Riverfront has instituted a one person per cart policy.  This has created a cart shortage and cart storage problem that management cannot solve thus the relexation of the mandatory cart requirement.
Given distancing enforcement problem with the group I play with, my play is limited to 9 hole walk 3 times a week usually as a single.
I have no interest in becoming a medical statistic.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:12:54 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #973 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
In Virginia it is nice to able to get a sandwich or a burger in the grill room.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #974 on: June 18, 2020, 09:26:18 PM »
When in Australia, nearly every restaurant I ate in you ordered at the bar and paid up front.
I loved the system-so much more efficient.

Which is now in place here due to Covid.
Such a better system-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back