News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #725 on: April 19, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
Speaking of Governors, here's what's happening in NY:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/golf/2020/04/17/latest-clarification-allows-golfers-back-inside-gates-private-clubs/5155423002/
That's since been clarified to mean that all publics and private clubs can open. 

Conditions are there are to be no employees on site, no facilities open, and only maintenance and security permitted to be present.  Security would be in charge of letting players out and making sure distancing regulations are followed.

Phil-I had a member of a club in Suffolk County tell me that his club has never had tee times before but they are now considering it. Walk and carry or use your own trolly only.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #727 on: April 19, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/golf/2020/04/17/latest-clarification-allows-golfers-back-inside-gates-private-clubs/5155423002/
That's since been clarified to mean that all publics and private clubs can open. 

Conditions are there are to be no employees on site, no facilities open, and only maintenance and security permitted to be present.  Security would be in charge of letting players out and making sure distancing regulations are followed.

Our club in NY is open. 15 minutes between tee times, walking only, and our pro is now the Director of security.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #728 on: April 19, 2020, 08:43:52 PM »

Our club in NY is open. 15 minutes between tee times, walking only, and our pro is now the Director of security.

I resemble that remark. :)
Opened at 10 am today.  high 53 wind howling!
55 Players all walking and carrying or using their own trolleys.no carts-no caddies.
All members -playing only with people in own household, or singles-no amenities-no bathrooms-nothing.
tee sheet full 10:00-5:30  with 15 minute spacing.
probably our best day ever-happy members, no complaints no pace of play issues.
I was the only employee on property(maintenance left at 10)-mostly out of curiousity-never got within 40 feet of anybody-chipped and pitched for 5-6 hours and waved/greeted from a distance.

For perspective, despite being open for 8 hours today and being members only with zero amenities, we did more rounds today than we usually do on our entire Opening Day weekend for Friday, Saturday and Sunday-and that would include guests.
Obviously, the summer people are out here sheltering in place.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:50:35 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
Soule Park in Ojai, CA is opening on April 19 with several restrictions in place.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #730 on: April 19, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
Seeing the coastal elite catching a breath of fresh air makes a Midwesterner proud.

jeffwarne

« Reply #731 on: April 19, 2020, 09:59:27 PM »
Seeing the coastal elite catching a breath of fresh air makes a Midwesterner proud.

I know it's mid, but exactly how west is Orlando?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #732 on: April 19, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
No one is from Orlando. I’m a resident of Indiana. My point was that CNN is painting a picture of crazy red hat brown shirt wearing militia members yearning to be free. The reality is that we all just want some fresh air. I’ve even lowered my guard and taken to riding my bike a couple of hours a day. It took one lousy month for us all to crack.

jeffwarne

« Reply #733 on: April 19, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
No one is from Orlando. I’m a resident of Indiana. My point was that CNN is painting a picture of crazy red hat brown shirt wearing militia members yearning to be free. The reality is that we all just want some fresh air. I’ve even lowered my guard and taken to riding my bike a couple of hours a day. It took one lousy month for us all to crack.

I just think it's a breath of fresh air that you're willing to live in Orlando and yet pay Indiana..

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #734 on: April 19, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
Next year at this time we can only pray to owe taxes.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #735 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »
With yet another mild winter here in Utah (temp wise), and no actual restrictions, the courses never closed.

John, you could have been golfing your heart out in St. George this whole time!  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #736 on: April 20, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
With yet another mild winter here in Utah (temp wise), and no actual restrictions, the courses never closed.

John, you could have been golfing your heart out in St. George this whole time!  ;D

I think most every course where I am a member is open. I am not golfing for reasons that any person would oblige.

Just based on the thousands of people who only wish they could visit their parents I must be the luckiest guy in the world.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #737 on: April 20, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »

I think most every course where I am a member is open. I am not golfing for reasons that any person would oblige.

Just based on the thousands of people who only wish they could visit their parents I must be the luckiest guy in the world.

Every now and then John, you hit just the right notes. 

Both my parents passed a few years back, and I certainly miss the family gatherings my Mom would organize and host. Thanks for the reminder John, I do indeed miss them.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #738 on: April 21, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
I have no skin in the golf business other than spending too much money to feed my habit. It seems like Pennsylvania will be loosening some lock-down regulations at the end of April. I expect golf to be one of the businesses that will be able to have some level of resumption. If my income and family's well being was a function of the business I am sure that my opinions would likely be impacted.

When the order is given I will certainly go out to play, by myself, or with my son, or some of the regular group that I consider to be reasonable people. I expect that playing with appropriate social distancing and noodle-ed cups will not change my house's risk profile in a meaningful way. It will also be very good for my mental well being.

This is a far cry from saying that I will be going to the bar afterwards, even if open, or acting like the risk is over or that the restrictions were an overreaction. Up to this point my house has been very locked down other than for occasional large grocery store trips and outside exercise like doing stuff in the yard, walking the dog, jogging or going to a local field to hit some full wedge shots.

I fully expect that there will be those (states and/or individuals) that relax too much and/or too soon resulting in renewed infection plumes and tighter localized/regional restrictions. When that happens I will follow whatever restrictions are in place at that time. Hopefully, there will be enough reasonable people that continue to behave in a manner for the marginally better aggregate numbers to continue. However, I have little doubt that many mistakes will be made along the way.

I have not visited my parents since this started. They are in their 80's and have been much more casual about the social distancing than we have in our household. Partially by choice with going shopping and the like, partially by need as they have some home health assistance coming in and out of the house. There are no good choices or certainties to be made with any of this. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #739 on: April 23, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
Hmm, the blasphemous chatter is already starting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29085873/arizona-president-says-fall-football-increasingly-unlikely-more-answers-needed

"University of Arizona president Dr. Robert Robbins said Wednesday that he does not anticipate the Wildcats [/size]playing football this fall"[/color]

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #740 on: April 23, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »

On the daily briefing from Trump they are promoting a study that indicates that the virus has a shorter life in aerosols and on surfaces in higher temperatures, higher humidities, and under UV rays (from sunshine).  If it's true and pans out, it should bode well for outside activities such as golf at least on warm, humid, sunny conditions.

jeffwarne

« Reply #741 on: April 23, 2020, 06:57:33 PM »
Yet in Florida, despite a lockdown, another 1100 people were diagnosed with Corona virus yesterday, where much of the state has been warmer than 80 degrees, and even 90 in many places  for 6 weeks.....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:05:32 PM by jeffwarne »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
Yet in Florida, despite a lockdown, another 1100 people were diagnosed with Corona virus yesterday, where much of the state has been warmer than 80 degrees, and even 90 in many places  for 6 weeks.....

It still lives where the sun don't shine.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #743 on: April 23, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
If you or a family member gets sick, should the government be required to spend unlimited $ to get you well?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #744 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
If you or a family member gets sick, should the government be required to spend unlimited $ to get you well?

I have the exact same insurance as my employees. I still have a set of three custom Vokey wedges I ordered on Feb 22nd that I haven't hit. It's looking like Mother's Day will be my return to golf.

Peter Flory

« Reply #745 on: April 23, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
Kohler was listing their new restrictions for golf and I see that they listed something like "touchless ball release mechanisms".  I'm guessing they bought that contraption that I previously linked where you lift up the lever with your putter to get the ball out of the hole.  WI courses open back up tomorrow, so will be interesting to see if that catches on.  Would definitely feel more like golf than hitting to raised cups I would imagine. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #746 on: April 24, 2020, 12:24:21 AM »

On the daily briefing from Trump they are promoting a study that indicates that the virus has a shorter life in aerosols and on surfaces in higher temperatures, higher humidities, and under UV rays (from sunshine).  If it's true and pans out, it should bode well for outside activities such as golf at least on warm, humid, sunny conditions.
Why would any intelligent human being believe anything from a Trump briefing? Wasn't Australia in the middle of their summer when it hit?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #747 on: April 24, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
WTF? As opposed to what Herr Hitler?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #748 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:50 AM »

Why would any intelligent human being believe anything from a Trump briefing? Wasn't Australia in the middle of their summer when it hit?
I for one am not joining the queue to volunteer for trial injection of disinfectant into my lungs......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #749 on: April 24, 2020, 04:05:10 AM »

I was commenting only on the suggestion that warm humid sunny weather may cause the virus to die faster on surfaces and in aerosols and that suggests that golf courses are likely safer in that the virus would be contagious on surfaces for a shorter period than being indoors in a cooler drier home out of the sun.

The guy doing the presentation looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights, constantly looking over at Trump, who of course he had to praise before he spoke.

I turned off the briefing when he finished and before Dr. Trump took it on an absurd tangent.  I saw it later and couldn't help but laugh out loud when Cuomo said something along the lines of a doctor's prescription of take two tablespoons of windex and a lightbulb and call me in the morning.  Very black humour.  One can only hope that nobody is foolish enough to try Dr Trump's crazy suggestions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back