News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2020, 07:23:12 PM »
Swine Flu infected approx 60 million in the US, killing 12,500, a .02% death rate.

Covid-19 infections to date in the US is 335,000 with 9,500 deaths, a 2.86% death rate. 

Its a significantly worse scenario, currently at 136X the death rate of Swine Flu.

What is the value of such a post?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
Swine Flu infected approx 60 million in the US, killing 12,500, a .02% death rate.

Covid-19 infections to date in the US is 335,000 with 9,500 deaths, a 2.86% death rate. 

Its a significantly worse scenario, currently at 136X the death rate of Swine Flu.

The value is a counter point to the prior posts about infection rates per capita.

Whats worse? A virus that infects tens of millions and kills relatively few or one that infects far less but kills a higher % by order of magnitudes?

Sean_A

« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »

Why single out this post?  The entire thread should be whacked.  It has long since served its purpose.  Unqualified folks are essentially make guesses with incomplete evidence. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »

The value is a counter point to the prior posts about infection rates per capita.

Whats worse? A virus that infects tens of millions and kills relatively few or one that infects far less but kills a higher % by order of magnitudes?

What's worse is intentionally spreading false information. I would say criminal.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2020, 07:31:03 PM »
Why single out this post?  The entire thread should be whacked.  It has long since served its purpose.
Ciao
Agreed.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kalen Braley

« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »
Hilarious John,

Unless you think the CDC is full of shit?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
The current numbers are not reliable enough to calculate a death rate. But even if they were, some people will still only believe what they see with their own eyes in their own backyard. And unfortunately, while walking around carelessly, they will kill.

You have to realise that every diagnosed case of Covid 19 is a person, who has walked around for at least five days - sometimes longer - without knowing he was infected, but at the same time infecting everyone they got close to.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #482 on: April 05, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
Kalen, I am confident that you don't believe that the 335,000 infections number is accurate. You have been calling for better and more testing from day 1. I am curious for your motivation to now be spreading misinformation.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #483 on: April 05, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
I thought we tried to put a wooden stake through this thread's heart a week ago.  I assume the 335,000 infections is an accurate number. But that number is derived from tests. We have tested less than 2 million out of a population of 340 million. I would posit that there are a lot of non-diagnosed cases that we could come in contact with, of which we need be aware.

Tim Martin

« Reply #484 on: April 05, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
Why single out this post?  The entire thread should be whacked.  It has long since served its purpose.
Ciao
Agreed.

If you look at the initial series of replies they directly answered the question without an op-ed and a pile of statistics attached. If restrictions are in place in specific areas and or clubs that is certainly useful information to this board.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #485 on: April 05, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »

If you look at the initial series of replies they directly answered the question without an op-ed and a pile of statistics attached. If restrictions are in place in specific areas and or clubs that is certainly useful information to this board.
I agree, but the conversation has gone off the rails and turned into a statistical and political debate. I tried bringing it back on topic, but no one seems to be interested in discussing how the virus stands to impact the golfing industry as a whole - both short term and long term. I hate it when threads go off-topic and wish moderators would reprimand the offending parties when it happens and or close down the thread if it's reached the point of no return.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #486 on: April 05, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
Mike -
The trouble is there's nothing 'off topic' when everyone is their own most favourite topic!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #487 on: April 05, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
I wish I could get all these replies to my Fowler thread.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Tommy,

You were the OP and made an interesting edit.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
Tommy,

You were the OP and made an interesting edit.

OP? 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Bodo

« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:51 PM »
Mike -
The trouble is there's nothing 'off topic' when everyone is their own most favourite topic!
LOL! Isn't that the truth. Love you guys!  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2020, 11:12:55 PM »
OP - Original Poster

Sean_A

« Reply #492 on: April 06, 2020, 03:44:04 AM »

I agree, but the conversation has gone off the rails and turned into a statistical and political debate. I tried bringing it back on topic, but no one seems to be interested in discussing how the virus stands to impact the golfing industry as a whole - both short term and long term. I hate it when threads go off-topic and wish moderators would reprimand the offending parties when it happens and or close down the thread if it's reached the point of no return.

I don't mind off topic threads. Some great stuff can comes from these threads. Unfortunately, this thread is not an example of such. The original question is now moot.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:45:39 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2020, 03:47:09 AM »
May I suggest this entire thread be deleted.
atb

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
On Long Island, Middle Bay reopened for the season on Saturday.
The Town of Huntington announced Crab Meadow GC is closed until further notice, effective today.  This following being closed originally, then opening last week.

Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #495 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
Please talk to your children. The following thread exposes just how ignorant the future of golf appears to be.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/covid-playing-closed-golf-courses/24234/701

Mike Bodo

« Reply #496 on: April 06, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Interesting article in Golfweek regarding golfing at Streamsong in the age of COVID-19.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/04/03/playing-golf-during-coronavirus-pandemic-streamsong/

I know courses that are still open are handling the situation differently, but I like concept of upside down hole cups and having tees sprinkled about the first tee for those in need. As with the author, I'm by no means an epidemiologist, but I would reckon that playing golf is safer than taking a walk in my congested neighborhood, which I am still allowed to do.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #497 on: April 06, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
Many of us have golfed with our friends most of our lives. Me - 51 years now. In that time we have also ripped some memorable farts. What would you estimate the travel distance and linger time to be on those epic ones that still fill our memory banks? It ain't six feet.

I still remember clearing out a diner on a high school golf trip. The image of a now deceased buddy standing at the door frantically fanning the door trying to disperse the smell was a happy moment in my life. We got in trouble but nobody died. These are different times.

Golf if you must but don't call buddies to join you.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #498 on: April 06, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
Interesting article in Golfweek regarding golfing at Streamsong in the age of COVID-19.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/04/03/playing-golf-during-coronavirus-pandemic-streamsong/

I know courses that are still open are handling the situation differently, but I like concept of upside down hole cups and having tees sprinkled about the first tee for those in need. As with the author, I'm by no means an epidemiologist, but I would reckon that playing golf is safer than taking a walk in my congested neighborhood, which I am still allowed to do.

It is also interesting that Winter Park is closed and this guy and two of his friends drove 180 miles to play golf. My wife is quarantining in his home town and now has three guys who took an unnecessary risk out and about in the community. I sincerely hope they got comped.

He didn't say...are the caddies still being payed cash?

Mike Bodo

« Reply #499 on: April 06, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
He didn't say...are the caddies still being payed cash?
That's a good question. I know the majority of public courses that are open currently are not accepting cash payment. It's all electronic. I would suspect the same applies at Streamsong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back