News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #450 on: April 03, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
Estimates indicate that 25% of Corona-infected people are asymptomatic, yet can spread the disease without knowing it.
Our complete lack of testing in the United States creates a situation where we each have to act as if we're already infected.
Please just stay home, stay safe, and don't assume you aren't carrying the disease.   My gawd, we golfers can be a frigging self-entitled bunch.   

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #451 on: April 03, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
Please just stay home, stay safe, and don't assume you aren't carrying the disease.   My gawd, we golfers can be a frigging self-entitled bunch.
And you recommend exactly the same for everyone going on walks around their neighborhood? Or going to the park? Or doing some of the other things that preserve a little bit of normalcy? If you do, great. If not, why not? Golf is, IMO, safer than those activities.

I've played twice since March 13, and none in about the past two weeks since PA closed courses. About nine holes each time. Over those ~18 holes I was within 50 yards or less of precisely one other person: my daughter, who was playing with me, and who lives with me. I wasn't violating any orders or anything at the time we played.

How was I being irresponsible or endangering anyone?

I get that not everyone is in my situation, or would behave as I have, etc. But there are people capable of playing golf safely in these times, IMO.

P.S. There's an upside to 25%+ of people being asymptomatic too. It means the disease is not nearly as deadly as earlier estimates. It means we're closer to a herd immunity type status. There are downsides, but upsides, too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:53:44 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tim Martin

« Reply #452 on: April 03, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
And you recommend exactly the same for everyone going on walks around their neighborhood? Or going to the park? Or doing some of the other things that preserve a little bit of normalcy? If you do, great. If not, why not? Golf is, IMO, safer than those activities.

I've played twice since March 13, and none in about the past two weeks since PA closed courses. About nine holes each time. Over those ~18 holes I was within 50 yards or less of precisely one other person: my daughter, who was playing with me, and who lives with me. I wasn't violating any orders or anything at the time we played.

How was I being irresponsible or endangering anyone?

I get that not everyone is in my situation, or would behave as I have, etc. But there are people capable of playing golf safely in these times, IMO.

P.S. There's an upside to 25%+ of people being asymptomatic too. It means the disease is not nearly as deadly as earlier estimates. It means we're closer to a herd immunity type status. There are downsides, but upsides, too.

Erik-“Safer” is different than safe. Everybody knows where you stand by now so why not give it a rest? ::)  I would think a PGA professional would take a bit more of an enlightened stance or at the very least not challenge every poster who wishes to err on the side of caution.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #453 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »
I would think a guy who gave lessons for a living would understand the unpredictable nature of the flight of a golf ball. Anything can happen at anytime.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
Erik-“Safer” is different than safe. Everybody knows where you stand by now so why not give it a rest? ::)  I would think a PGA professional would take a bit more of an enlightened stance or at the very least not challenge every poster who wishes to err on the side of caution.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm asking a question because I'm curious why a few people feel the need to make sweeping statements about how unsafe and selfish it is for everyone who chooses to play (if they're allowed, which we are not). Because the majority of states are allowing golf, and it's been understood by many to be safe. Because no activity is ever "perfectly safe," but one must consider the balance of safety versus sanity and the other benefits. This time, specifically, I'm curious what Mr. Cirba thinks given his last post.

And John, anything can happen at any time - and I'm less safe - getting my exercise by walking around my neighborhood. So… yeah.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:51:23 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Lou_Duran

« Reply #455 on: April 03, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »
Bogie,

If having a close relationship to Barney as you have mentioned has not rubbed off on you, thanks?  I will send you what I had started to post here but thought better of it to spare Barney and a few others who are not disciplined to read in the intended context or otherwise able to skip my comments altogether.

Tim,

Might you consider that where you live and your political identity might be weighing heavily in your thinking?  I suspect that your reality in the northeast (I have you in the NY metro area, right?) is very different than mine.  Also, your circle of friends and influences are probably unlike mine.

My city of nearly 200k, Frisco, has 52 reported Covid- 19 cases, but still issued a shelter-at-home order and closed all golf courses not already covered by the Denton County order (including our little 9-hole community course). A larger part of Frisco is in Collin County (one million pop) which has a total of 227 cases and two deaths to-date, and less onerous restrictions.  My club in Collin County, but in the town of Prosper, has some 600+ total members (420+ golf) and we know of only one member testing positive, and he has not been to the property in months.

Simply, we all face different risks.  The medicine or solution (with my apologies to Professor Crockett for my imprecision) should fit the disease or problem, don't you think?  If it gives anyone solace, I rotated my hips too abruptly on Wednesday in an effort to get a fairway wood up in the air from a tight lie and pulled some muscle right below the front of my hip bone,  I played horribly yesterday and am taking the next two days off.  I am already going nuts being home for more than 29 straight hours and counting (my wife is in the living room having a virtual cocktail party with some of her friends- she is typically more fun than me).

MKrohn

« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »

I have no issue with Erik or anyone else playing golf in groups of two (for exercise) which is our advice in Australia. All clubs are operating under strict protocols on the course, can only hope they are being observed.

It's the car park and clubhouse concourse area where I am 100% confident we will have some/not all congregating. The press (Murdoch) are wandering around my suburb (near the beach) taking photos for clickbait that show people exercising in a bad light. Anti-golf residents will also be around.

Whilst I have made my own decision not to play, I hope someone from the club is down there today to keep the arrive-play-depart happening.

Tim Martin

« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2020, 07:04:17 PM »
Bogie,

If having a close relationship to Barney as you have mentioned has not rubbed off on you, thanks?  I will send you what I had started to post here but thought better of it to spare Barney and a few others who are not disciplined to read in the intended context or otherwise able to skip my comments altogether.

Tim,

Might you consider that where you live and your political identity might be weighing heavily in your thinking?  I suspect that your reality in the northeast (I have you in the NY metro area, right?) is very different than mine.  Also, your circle of friends and influences are probably unlike mine.

My city of nearly 200k, Frisco, has 52 reported Covid- 19 cases, but still issued a shelter-at-home order and closed all golf courses not already covered by the Denton County order (including our little 9-hole community course). A larger part of Frisco is in Collin County (one million pop) which has a total of 227 cases and two deaths to-date, and less onerous restrictions.  My club in Collin County, but in the town of Prosper, has some 600+ total members (420+ golf) and we know of only one member testing positive, and he has not been to the property in months.

Simply, we all face different risks.  The medicine or solution (with my apologies to Professor Crockett formy imprecision) should fit the disease or problem, don't you think?  If it gives anyone solace, I rotated my hips too abruptly on Wednesday in an effort to get a fairway wood up in the air from a tight lie and pulled some muscle right below the front of my hip bone,  I played horribly yesterday and am taking the next two days off.  I am already going nuts being home for more than 29 straight hours and counting (my wife is in the living room having a virtual cocktail party with some of her friends- she is typically more fun than me).

Lou-I don’t know what kind of thought process would lead you to believe someone that takes the opposite side of an argument from you on a message board would take joy in your injury. When I asked people to lay off the politics I didn’t make reference to a political preference but it appears you think because of where I live you know what my political identity is and what kind of friends I have. I have steadfastly stayed away from politics and religion when on this board and have hoped that others would follow same. I have learned that was a foolish assumption. This site is the full extent of my social media participation as I am not on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. nor do I follow a single person on any of same. Further I would rather jab a sharp stick in my eye than go on Facebook and argue about politics. I really don’t give a shit where anyone lines up as far as politics but I think it’s poor form to beat the same horse to death on every thread because this is as far as I know a golf course architecture forum. If you think I was less annoyed listening to A.G. rather than you despite being on opposite sides of the spectrum that’s another faulty assumption. I hope your hip feels better and that you are back in action soon.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:24:57 PM by Tim Martin »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »
Ouch Tim!  I was not thinking that "anyone" would take joy in my injury, but maybe some comfort in the knowledge that I wouldn't be on a golf course where I could be infected and become a carrier.  Talk about making unfounded assumptions!

[/size]Things seem to get "political" when they veer from one's POV.   The president can be accused relatively early in this thread of taking his eye of the ball while playing too much golf, or being rightfully impeached for the content of a phone call with a foreign leader or in the future not doing enough on the pandemic.  No admonishment from you until well after when I jumped in.  That's ok.  I am not on Facebook or any other social media and I certainly don't need this nonsense.  It is not a problem at all for me to add you to the small but growing list of those I simply ignore. ;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
Ouch Tim!  I was not thinking that "anyone" would take joy in my injury, but maybe some comfort in the knowledge that I wouldn't be on a golf course where I could be infected and become a carrier.  Talk about making unfounded assumptions!

Things seem to get "political" when they veer from one's POV.   The president can be accused relatively early in this thread of taking his eye of the ball while playing too much golf, or being rightfully impeached for the content of a phone call with a foreign leader or in the future not doing enough on the pandemic.  No admonishment from you until well after when I jumped in.  That's ok.  I am not on Facebook or any other social media and I certainly don't need this nonsense.  It is not a problem at all for me to add you to the small but growing list of those I simply ignore. ;)

Lou-Thanks for helping to make my point by going right back to politics. ::)  As far as ignoring me I don’t recall ever sending you a private message but it’s a nice hedge. ;)

Daryl David

« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
All golf courses in Riverside County, including Palm Springs/Coachella Valley, closed through mid-June.

Well that is true that the county issued an order prohibiting play on golf courses. However, there was at least one very upscale private that was very busy today.  Golfers galore. Rules don’t apply to everyone.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #461 on: April 04, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
Bogie,

Tim,

Simply, we all face different risks.  The medicine or solution (with my apologies to Professor Crockett formy imprecision) should fit the disease or problem, don't you think?  If it gives anyone solace, I rotated my hips too abruptly on Wednesday in an effort to get a fairway wood up in the air from a tight lie and pulled some muscle right below the front of my hip bone,  I played horribly yesterday and am taking the next two days off.  I am already going nuts being home for more than 29 straight hours and counting (my wife is in the living room having a virtual cocktail party with some of her friends- she is typically more fun than me).

Lou-I don’t know what kind of thought process would lead you to believe someone that takes the opposite side of an argument from you on a message board would take joy in your injury. When I asked people to lay off the politics I didn’t make reference to a political preference but it appears you think because of where I live you know what my political identity is and what kind of friends I have. I have steadfastly stayed away from politics and religion when on this board and have hoped that others would follow same. I have learned that was a foolish assumption. This site is the full extent of my social media participation as I am not on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. nor do I follow a single person on any of same. Further I would rather jab a sharp stick in my eye than go on Facebook and argue about politics. I really don’t give a shit where anyone lines up as far as politics but I think it’s poor form to beat the same horse to death on every thread because this is as far as I know a golf course architecture forum. If you think I was less annoyed listening to A.G. rather than you despite being on opposite sides of the spectrum that’s another faulty assumption. I hope your hip feels better and that you are back in action soon.
I'm not sure how I got caught in the crossfire between you two. 

I went back thru the entire thread, and unless I missed something, the only time I've responded to a post by Tim, or him to one of mine, was almost a week ago when we fundamentally agreed that the optics of people playing golf were not great when so many other things are shut down, regardless of the relative safety of golf.   If Tim and I disagree on politics, this is the first I've known of that; it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's happened on THIS thread, at least.

And Lou?  You brought up scarcity, not me.  You've called me a pedant, which I probably am (just ask my wife!), and (sarcastically) "Professor Crockett", which I clearly am not.  Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever called you anything but Lou in all these years.  My relative advantage when it comes to being called names is that, after four decades as a public school teacher and a coach, you probably won't live long enough or have enough imagination to call me anything worse than I've already been called. So have at it if it helps.  I'm here for you!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:26:04 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #462 on: April 04, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
The Alamo jokes alone had to be hilarious.

Tim Martin

« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
Bogie,

Tim,

I'm not sure how I got caught in the crossfire between you two. 

I went back thru the entire thread, and unless I missed something, the only time I've responded to a post by Tim, or him to one of mine was almost a week ago when we fundamentally agreed that the optics of people playing golf were not great when so many other things are shut down, regardless of the relative safety of golf.   If Tim and I disagree on politics, this is the first I've known of that, but it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's happened on THIS thread, at least.

And Lou?  You brought up scarcity, not me.  You've called me a pedant, which I probably am (just ask my wife!), and (sarcastically) "Professor Crockett", which I clearly am not.  Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever called you anything but Lou in all these years.  My relative advantage when it comes to being called names is that, after four decades as a public school teacher and a coach, you probably won't live long enough or have enough imagination to call me anything worse than I've already been called.  So have at it if it helps.  I'm here for you!

A.G.-I didn’t take a political stance in any of my comments in this thread or any other so you are correct. If you look at the sequence of posts my comment came subsequent to one by Mike Cirba and not by either you or Lou. The thread went down a rabbit hole and I was merely trying to get it back on track. I hope we can all play golf again soon. :)

MCirba

« Reply #464 on: April 04, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I didn't start this except to say that from a safety and PR standpoint things like the President spending a lot of time on the golf course as the virus invaded the US and a bunch of us carrying on playing golf while Rome burns are not things I'd advocate.

Stay safe, everyone.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #465 on: April 04, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »

According to Johns Hopkins (seemingly the go-to source for data on COVID-19) your Denton County is now at 273 cases and 6 deaths while Collin County is at 256 cases and 2 deaths.  It seems that the infection is spreading rather quickly.  Is there a number of cases where you would be more worried?  A number at which your health care system will be stressed? 

In our province of 14.5M  with almost 6M concentrated in the GTA, we have 3630 cases and 94 deaths.  I think it'd be fair to say that most everybody is concerned and pretty much adhering to self isolation directions.  Sure, I'm really concerned about catching the virus because I'm in the high risk group of dying.

Yes, our health care system is starting to stress.  No, our system doesn't seem any better prepared than yours - probably because of an aversion by tax payers everywhere to pay higher taxes to fund the necessary preparation.

And, I don't want to hear any moaning that you can't play because of injury and that 29 hours of staying at home is stressing you.  I've been quarantined for 14 days in our high rise condo and there are no golf courses open to even entice me to break the isolation directives.  So, suck it up!   :)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #466 on: April 04, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure I didn't start this except to say that from a safety and PR standpoint things like the President spending a lot of time on the golf course as the virus invaded the US and a bunch of us carrying on playing golf while Rome burns are not things I'd advocate.

In his own words:

Reply 199- There is no science that would inform such decision.  Only quackery and denial of science.

297-Suddenly people realize that they need an effective federal government.  Too bad it's been systematically, purposefully, and effectively dismantled.

311 It makes me ask wtf happened in the richest, greatest country in the world where we've reached this point after months of kowing this was coming with continual denials and obfuscation such that we're at a juncture where our leader is going on his propaganda network arguing about the exact number of tens of thousands of ventilators needed in NY state while telling folks that we'll be cramming churches just in time for the Easter Bunny.

364 Between our President's spending 80% of his time in the past three months playing golf and people acting like we are somehow entitled to go our and play a game instead of sheltering at home in this world crisis the game is not going to come out of this well.  Sorry, but that's reality.

450 Complete lack of testing .....

My comments until the last few pages were few and mostly descriptive.  I don't know what made this thread veer, but no matter how heart-felt the above remarks are, not only are they grossly inaccurate, but also highly offensive.  And to bring religion into it!  Mike, I have known and liked you for years.  I am disappointed.

A.G.- thanks for being there for me.  I am sorry that some of what you write comes across to me as pedantic.  It was not meant as a slur nor did I intend on being sarcastic when I address you as Professor.  I think I remember you saying that you taught economics in high school.  Correcting me for using the word "solving" instead of "allocating" in a supply/demand problem might have been done by a professor in Econ 101, but never in industry when analyzing pricing scenarios for various products.  And I am fine with that as I think that being more precise in communications is better than being less.  My apologies if I made you feel that I was calling you names.

Bryan- thanks for continuing to fact check.  The numbers I quoted came from a daily email coming, I think, from the City of Frisco.  The differences might be due to timing, but they are not particularly material anyways.

I am concerned and worried about the effects of the virus especially in the big, crowded cities.  Other than golf and the occasional trip to the grocery store, we are in or around the house the rest of the time.  To the best of my knowledge, the HC system is not stressed around where I live, though I fear that the southern sector of Dallas County could very well be overwhelmed as the virus appears to be having a more serious, disproportionate  effect on the poor.

For myself, I am more concerned about catching the virus and unknowingly infecting other people than checking out.  Fortunately, other than with my wife, my contact with other folks is minimal and seldom within the recommended 6' minimum.  Our course has taken all the common recommended precautions and carrying my bag eliminates having to touch but a few surfaces touched by others (our supt. has installed a 2" wide sleeve of 2" pvc pipe in each cup and it makes picking the ball out of the hole without touching anything but the ball very easy).

As to whining about not playing for couple of days, well, that's what I do, whine.  And getting used to playing with some pain is a reality which won't likely get better through time.  Best of luck to you and yours (I'd have stayed in FL a few months longer!). 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:15:13 PM by Lou_Duran »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
To help get this thread back on track, with the golf season being as short as it is in Michigan and elsewhere in the Upper Midwest and East, there are two state representatives that are imploring the Governor of Michigan to exempt golf courses from the non-essential business list.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/golf/2020/04/04/state-reps-urging-governor-reconsider-shutdown-golf-courses/2947325001/

I suspect similar petitions will be made or are in the process of being made in other states where golf courses are currently shutdown due to the COVID-19 virus. Hopefully ours and other state governors will take heed and exempt golf courses from the non-essential business list so that private clubs, public course owners and operators can do their best to keep employees working and remain solvent. It's frustrating not to be out golfing today, as it's nearly 60 degrees, perfectly sunny and no wind where I live. Would have loved to walk my course today and get some much needed vitamin D in my system.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2020, 04:17:10 PM »

Lou,

I'd have stayed in FL a few months longer!

I would have stayed a few weeks longer except the Canadian government ordered us back and threatened to close the border and equally important, our travel medical provider gave us 10 days to return to Canada before they cancelled coverage.  Most importantly our kids were pressuring us to come back.

There was no way we were going to stay with no medical coverage in the country with the highest medical costs in the world even though where we were was probably safer as it was a low density gated community vs our home that is in a densely populated big city.

I hope that all those on here who propose to travel to other countries only do so when they have or can get travel medical insurance.

MCirba

« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Yes, and my posts have aged well, haven't they.

Stay safe and healthy Lou, and everyone else.   

Peter Flory

« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »
We're at the point now where about 1 in every 7,000 Americans have been infected.  Swine flu hit 1 in 5. 

So, we may have a very, very long way to go.  Hopefully states find a way to keep golf open- otherwise they will likely have to be closed for the entire season if we're waiting for an infection rate less than now. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #471 on: April 05, 2020, 05:16:48 PM »
We're at the point now where about 1 in every 7,000 Americans have been infected.  Swine flu hit 1 in 5. 

So, we may have a very, very long way to go.  Hopefully states find a way to keep golf open- otherwise they will likely have to be closed for the entire season if we're waiting for an infection rate less than now.
Assuming that is true, with undiscovered cases we are probably at 1 in every 2,000. The total US deaths for swine flu was in the 12,000 to 13,000 range, regrettably we will fly past that like a bat in the darkness.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:39:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2020, 06:13:13 PM »
Where are you seeing that?

https://covidtracking.com/data we have ~333,000 positive tests in a population of ~330,000,000. That's 1/1000. Still nowhere near 1 in 5, and maybe I'm brain farting horribly here, but 1 in 7000 would be only ~47,000 positive tests.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:18:21 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

MKrohn

« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »

Lou,

I'd have stayed in FL a few months longer!

There was no way we were going to stay with no medical coverage in the country with the highest medical costs in the world even though where we were was probably safer as it was a low density gated community vs our home that is in a densely populated big city.

I hope that all those on here who propose to travel to other countries only do so when they have or can get travel medical insurance.

I love being in the US but suspect it will be a long time before I ever set foot there again, I presume travel insurance for the States will go to prohibitive levels, its already expensive.

Fortunately as an Australian we have reciprocal health arrangements with a dozen or more countries including Ireland and the UK.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
Swine Flu infected approx 60 million in the US, killing 12,500, a .02% death rate.

Covid-19 infections to date in the US is 335,000 with 9,500 deaths, a 2.86% death rate. 

Its a significantly worse scenario, currently at 136X the death rate of Swine Flu.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back