News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #425 on: March 31, 2020, 06:38:34 PM »
This thread is a fate worse than death. Take me Corona before I read another post!!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
This thread is a fate worse than death. Take me Corona before I read another post!!!
could be suicide, this was your 43d reply.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #427 on: March 31, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
could be suicide, this was your 43d reply.
+1
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
I wish I could write as succinctly as you two, that exchange was funnier for its brevity. Heck, Pete used nothing but a comma!   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »
One out of ten..rings a bell.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #430 on: March 31, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »

Let's put this bad boy to bed without supper. I began the thread and will be happy to see it go.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bernie Bell

« Reply #431 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:12 PM »
Let's call that the benediction.  Go in peace!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #432 on: April 01, 2020, 12:58:40 AM »
Aye Bernie,

It's been a monstrance thread ... I mean monstrous!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »
It's about time. What I do not understand is why the police did not confiscate their clubs.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #435 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
Bethpage Red opened on schedule April 1.  Timber Point reopened April 1 after pushing back the start date -- walking only.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

jeffwarne

« Reply #436 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »
Bethpage Red opened on schedule April 1.  Timber Point reopened April 1 after pushing back the start date -- walking only.

I don't really know whether golf is a safe activity or not.(and isn't really important to this comment)
I happen to think it is-in the right circumstances following the prescribed social distancing practices, and assuming there is NO face to face contact for employees. No range, no check in(online payment only) This requires a leap of faith in customers acting appropriately-the real fly in the ointment. More practical in a private club setting where fees aren't being collected, but its the publics that are the ones staying open, often with human contact.

All of that said, this really highlights the complete lack of consistency in strategies for fighting this virus, and how many may need to be reconsidered-especially as/if we ever get on the decline of this.
Here you have courses all over the world and country closed and yet, in the epicenter of the virus, New York, state and County owned golf courses are open.

If NYC golf courses can be open, couldn't a roofer, working alone, be allowed to work? Many roofers are working on...leaky roofs-pretty essential.
If I were struggling to make rent in a "non" essential business that I deemed I could operate safely, I would be quite resentful of people playing golf 6 feet apart.

My point is we have so many businesses walking the line of what is essential and none of it actually is-but at some point, certainly on the backside of this, we need to figure out what is actually essential and more importantly safe.
There are plenty of perfectly safe activities that are banned, yet people are playing golf in the epicenter of this, and God forbid our lawns(landscaping deemed essential) go a week without someone mowing them ,arriving 4 at a time in a truck.

Which is it?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:28:33 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Buck Wolter

« Reply #437 on: April 03, 2020, 11:16:35 AM »
"Show me your papers..."
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200402/police-charge-3-from-mass-with-golfing-in--ri-in-violation-of-quarantine-order

I heard it described as the 'Facebook Stasi' -- don't piss off Karen.

Any models for the number of suicides coming due to the recession/depression? I'll bet its higher than COVID-19 deaths. How many in the Golf Industry? Probably on par with Restaurant owners though they can at least sell take-out to try and stay afloat.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mike Hendren

« Reply #438 on: April 03, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
This requires a leap of faith in customers acting appropriately-the real fly in the ointment.

Jeff, call me a skeptic when it comes to people acting appropriately.  No less than our very own stable genius, my friend Lou Duran (who has claimed that he's pretty good at evaluating risk) posted on 3/23 that his bet was that we would be turning toward normal in a few weeks.  ;)

Americans still struggle with their unrealistic optimism bias.   I wish I could go through life not thinking the world is a dangerous place.  Or, as C. S. Lewis put it "enemy occupied territory."

Bogey

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:42:01 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #439 on: April 03, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
Any models for the number of suicides coming due to the recession/depression? I'll bet its higher than COVID-19 deaths.
Original reply deleted. This is nonsense, and embarrassing nonsense at that, but this is the post where this thread jumped the shark, even for me.  I'm out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:51:27 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

jeffwarne

« Reply #440 on: April 03, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
This requires a leap of faith in customers acting appropriately-the real fly in the ointment.

Jeff, call me a skeptic when it comes to people acting appropriately.  No less than our very own stable genius, my friend Lou Duran (who has claimed that he's pretty good at evaluating risk) posted on 3/23 that his bet was that we would be turning toward normal in a few weeks.  ;)

Americans still struggle with their unrealistic optimism bias.   I wish I could go through life not thinking the world is a dangerous place.  Or, as C. S. Lewis put it "enemy occupied territory."

Bogey

Well, you still are allowed to "pack the churches on Easter" in his home state so.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #441 on: April 03, 2020, 12:09:52 PM »

Bogey

Well, you still are allowed to "pack the churches on Easter" in his home state so.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/florida-governor-ron-desantis-issuing-stay-at-home-order

Tim Martin

« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »

Bogey

Bogey-I wanted to take the other side of Lou’s bet but didn’t like the karma. Sure as shit is a new world since this thread was started.

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #444 on: April 03, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »
Don't know who wrote this.....

We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another.

Suddenly Disney is out of magic,
Paris is no longer romantic,
New York doesn't stand up anymore,
The Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mecca is empty.

Hugs and kisses suddenly become weapons,
and not visiting parents and friends becomes an act of love.

Suddenly you realize that power, beauty & money are worthless,
and can't get you the oxygen you're fighting for.

The world continues its life and it is beautiful. It only puts humans in cages.
I think it's sending us a message:

" You are not necessary. The air, earth, water and sky without you are fine.
   When you come back, remember that you are my guests,
   not my masters."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #445 on: April 03, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
Don't know who wrote this.....

We fell asleep in one world, and woke up in another.

Suddenly Disney is out of magic,
Paris is no longer romantic,
New York doesn't stand up anymore,
The Chinese wall is no longer a fortress, and Mecca is empty.

Hugs and kisses suddenly become weapons,
and not visiting parents and friends becomes an act of love.

Suddenly you realize that power, beauty & money are worthless,
and can't get you the oxygen you're fighting for.

The world continues its life and it is beautiful. It only puts humans in cages.
I think it's sending us a message:

" You are not necessary. The air, earth, water and sky without you are fine.
   When you come back, remember that you are my guests,
   not my masters."

I hope whoever wrote the above has a quick and speedy recovery.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #446 on: April 03, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
What a load of crap.  What will it take to kill this thread?  An exorcist?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #447 on: April 03, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
"Show me your papers..."
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200402/police-charge-3-from-mass-with-golfing-in--ri-in-violation-of-quarantine-order

I heard it described as the 'Facebook Stasi' -- don't piss off Karen.

Any models for the number of suicides coming due to the recession/depression? I'll bet its higher than COVID-19 deaths. How many in the Golf Industry? Probably on par with Restaurant owners though they can at least sell take-out to try and stay afloat.

Take this shit somewhere else.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #448 on: April 03, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
l.If I were struggling to make rent in a "non" essential business that I deemed I could operate safely, I would be quite resentful of people playing golf 6 feet apart.

Are these people (originally I said "you" but you weren't speaking as you specifically) resentful of people walking in their neighborhoods or in parks? Riding their bikes? Or doing other allowed outdoor activities?

https://infogram.com/covid-19-state-map-1hke60wvv1p145r

I don't know if the map updates or if this is just as of April 1, but there's a map showing the various state regulations at the moment.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:08:05 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #449 on: April 03, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »
This morning across the street from where I am staying an 84 year old woman was walking her dog next to her house. A biker spooked the dog and knocked her to the ground. Everything worked out so bike away.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back