News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bernie Bell

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #375 on: March 29, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Say what you will about Trump, he has stopped playing:
https://trumpgolfcount.com/displayoutings

During his last round on March 8th he said "It's not as bad as the press is making it out to be"

That's probably still true, as Drs. Fauci and Birx are taking great pains to TRY and point out to our useless press.  It was also two days before DeBlasio tweeted "we want to encourage people to go out."  "there's very little threat here.  This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu."

"Heckuva job" as they say by ALL of those responsible to protect us, not just the "other team."

Tim Martin

« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »
If the game "is not going to come out of this well," which very much remains to be seen, it will have a lot more to do with economic effect of peoples' inability to play for the duration of the lockdown than it will with optics of people playing or trying to play.

The game is still contracting from the financial crisis of 2008. If you are not sure how the game is going to come out of this then your head is in the sand. Poor optics don’t help.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #377 on: March 29, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
Have any of the magazines asked their raters to suspend visiting courses?

MCirba

« Reply #378 on: March 29, 2020, 12:48:37 PM »
John K. - yes.

The two best, non-political things I've heard so far about the present crisis;

"We're trying to manage the avoidable so we can avoid the unmanageable."

"The best thing we can all do is act like we're already infected."

Here's the thing;   You may be asymptomatic and a carrier.   You may be in a 14 day incubation period before exhibiting symptoms.

Being asked to not play golf for a couple of weeks sucks but in the big picture it doesn't mean one flying fig.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:10:40 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bernie Bell

« Reply #379 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Spell it out for me Tim, if it's so obvious and you're certain.  I'm not. I can't see down here with my head stuck in the bunker.  How is the game going to come out?  Is there a difference between "the game" and clubs/courses?  Is it all doom and gloom, no possibility of any positive outcomes for the game itself?  You think in hindsight the greatest impact on the game in 2020 will be the economics of the lockdown or the "optics" of those who are playing or trying to?  I'm not playing and not advocating playing.  But I have a hard time getting worked up about those who are.  I don't think what they're doing is going to move the needle much if at all.

Tim Martin

« Reply #380 on: March 29, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »
Spell it out for me Tim, if it's so obvious and you're certain.  I'm not. I can't see down here with my head stuck in the bunker.  How is the game going to come out?  Is there a difference between "the game" and clubs/courses?  Is it all doom and gloom, no possibility of any positive outcomes for the game itself?  You think in hindsight the greatest impact on the game in 2020 will be the economics of the lockdown or the "optics" of those who are playing or trying to?  I'm not playing and not advocating playing.  But I have a hard time getting worked up about those who are.  I don't think what they're doing is going to move the needle much if at all.

Bernie-You implored people a number of pages ago to lay off the politics and subsequently continued to go down the road which is too bad. I’ll bet you a round and dinner that the game suffers greatly and nobody will be more sorry about that than me.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2020, 01:32:54 PM »
I’ll bet you a round and dinner that the game suffers greatly and nobody will be more sorry about that than me.
That's a no-brainer bet to take for anyone you'd offer it to. Bernie should take it in a heartbeat, especially with two chances to win. IF the game suffers "greatly" (wonder how you'd define that), there will be hundreds or thousands of people "more sorry about it" than you.

In related news, Eaglemont in Washington is closed permanently. The owners, who just bought the place two years ago or so, are looking to sell. The restaurant is a giant loser, but the course could do okay from what I understand without the F&B or with greatly changed F&B.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tim Martin

« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
I’ll bet you a round and dinner that the game suffers greatly and nobody will be more sorry about that than me.
That's a no-brainer bet to take for anyone you'd offer it to. Bernie should take it in a heartbeat, especially with two chances to win. IF the game suffers "greatly" (wonder how you'd define that), there will be hundreds or thousands of people "more sorry about it" than you.

Course closures and people associated with same are one way that the game suffers. There will be a glut of them directly resulting from the virus. Your someone that has everything invested in the game of golf no?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
Course closures and people associated with same are one way that the game suffers. There will be a glut of them directly resulting from the virus. Your someone that has everything invested in the game of golf no?
I didn't say the game wouldn't suffer, I simply said your opponent in the bet has two ways to win. First, depending on how you define "greatly," which I don't think is a given. Second, if even one person is "more sorry about it" than you.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #384 on: March 29, 2020, 01:51:23 PM »
I didn't say the game wouldn't suffer, I simply said your opponent in the bet has two ways to win. First, depending on how you define "greatly," which I don't think is a given. Second, if even one person is "more sorry about it" than you.

Erik-It’s not surprising that you missed the point of my post.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
Erik-It’s not surprising that you missed the point of my post.
Your first sentence complained about someone continuing to talk politics after asking others to stop. The second was a stupid bet you're lose. Don't confuse not seeing the point with not caring about or agreeing with your point.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2020, 03:37:13 PM »
Waiver denied. Oakland Hills plan for members only golf nixed by Michigan Governor:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/golf/2020/03/28/oakland-hills-country-club-gretchen-whitmer-private-courses-closed/2933980001/
And that is my question for the supers here- in a place like Michigan, what will happen to a golf course if they aren't allowed to tend to the maintenance from now until the end of April for example?  It appears as though MI courses are not allowed to have any employees report to work.  How quickly can a course get to the point of no return?
The R&A published this about golf course essential maintenance
https://www.bigga.org.uk/uploads/assets/4c64d95f-07b8-4839-aa59cee58cada202/ESSENTIAL-MAINTENANCEstatment1.pdf

Greens three times a week, other closely mown areas once a week, rough every two weekss.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »
Much of the confusion on closures is because many locales have been left to make the decision on opening or closing golf courses. It remains my opinion that in areas where quarantining has not been mandated, play at golf courses can be done safely and with great benefit to people.

Here is a letter that has been sent out to many mayors and council members to encourage openings where it may be safe and practical. It is available for use if you are so inclined.

========

Dear Hon. Mayor _________:

I am writing to express my profound concern that you help keep golf courses in our area open and available as outdoor respites during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is my believe that many do not understand the positive role golf has played during national crises, and facts concerning how golf courses can safely operate with built-in self spacing of players.

The five hundred year old sport of golf is played over a large “park” and it is very unique among outdoor recreation. The sport of golf played a crucial role in keeping people active (and yet distanced) during the Spanish Flu. Golf has also provided much appreciated outdoor recreation during both WWI and WWII. In golf we have the benefit of rules and procedures that can be adjusted for matters such as:

• 10-foot or more social distancing
            • Local rules to prevent touching the flagstick (cups raised so players do not retrieve balls)
            • Removal of all touch points (bunker rakes and ball washers)
            • Mandating walking or individual cart usage
            • Closure of the clubhouse spaces while leaving the “park” open
            • Ease of closing all food, beverage and meeting spaces

Golf is by design an individual sport. While we play in small groups, golfers do so “alone” with their own equipment and just one ball assigned to each player. Unlike most other sports, golf is a pursuit where safe distance can be maintained. With local rules, operators can adjust to the current situation on a safe basis. And, they are doing so throughout the world:

Please see:  https://www.ngcoa.org/making-your-course-social-distance-ready

People will need opportunities to be outdoors. Golf courses can provide that opportunity, keeping families and citizens active for four hours or more — but safely and per strict guidelines to better the health and benefit of the people of our local residents. Best of all, this activity is conducted outdoors and with the self spacing as noted.

Sincerely,

___________________________
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »
Meanwhile,

While perusing facebook today, i'm seeing ads by Hotels to book "stay and play" packages at courses in the St. George, UT area.  They have some pretty tempting deals right now and spring time is a mighty fine time in that area... ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »
NYC has probably recently tapped into a lot more supplies/resources.

Here in Utah, my wife has a couple of friends who have the 3 major symptoms, flu, dry cough, tiredness and are still unable to get tested.  The guidance they get when they call to come in?  Quarantine and ride it out! 

We also have a friend who is an ER doc in the Park City area, which has a large retiree population and she's calling around to scrounge up masks.  They have 13 beds with vents...total....in the only hospital in the area.  On a side note she also says the Local govt officials went thru holy hell when they closed the ski resorts, with threats and all!

Kalen,

Did your friends ever get tested? What is your ER docs opinion on tourists coming to Utah on golf trips?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
NYC has probably recently tapped into a lot more supplies/resources.

Here in Utah, my wife has a couple of friends who have the 3 major symptoms, flu, dry cough, tiredness and are still unable to get tested.  The guidance they get when they call to come in?  Quarantine and ride it out! 

We also have a friend who is an ER doc in the Park City area, which has a large retiree population and she's calling around to scrounge up masks.  They have 13 beds with vents...total....in the only hospital in the area.  On a side note she also says the Local govt officials went thru holy hell when they closed the ski resorts, with threats and all!

Kalen,

Did your friends ever get tested? What is your ER docs opinion on tourists coming to Utah on golf trips?

Not sure about my friends, haven't heard.  But my daughter thought she had it and tested negative thankfully.

PS.  Our ER doc is beyond mortified at the lack of the Governor taking a firmer stance, which statewide is currently "stay at home" but with no teeth behind it.  She works in the ER in a Park City hospital and with a large older generation locally its been very busy to say the least.  Thankfully its not tourist season right now in Northern Utah, but St. George is in peak season...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #391 on: March 29, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
Interestingly, it appears that UNC-Finley, where I am a member, is set to reopen on Tuesday; there is supposed to be an email to the members later today, but they are taking tees times, at least for members.  I'm not sure of the conditions yet, or whether or not the general public will be able to play; I'll post when I know those things.

On the university course front, Duke remains closed indefinitely, and Lonnie Poole at NCSU appears not to have ever closed at all, and remains open to the general public as well as members.

How the game of golf comes out of all of this remains to be seen, I think; there are just too many variables in play.  With golf as an allowable exception to the stay-at-home rules many places, perhaps some will return to the game, and perhaps some will come to the game.  On the other hand, if there is a protracted recession, golf would certainly seem to be a place where discretionary spending could be curtailed by affected individuals.

As to courses themselves, let's at least consider the possibility that the market shakeout that started in 2008 might already have largely culled the herd of courses with no margin of error in terms of operations.  That doesn't mean there won't be any closures in the aftermath of this, but it might not be something as dramatic as what we saw in the aftermath of the Great Recession because there was pretty clearly a glut of courses then; that is much less likely to be the case now.

But we're all in unknown territory now, and not just in golf.  Human beings have an unfortunate genius for constructing narratives to explain a past that was much more a matter of chance than we choose to believe, and then applying those narratives to current situations; I believe it's called an availability bias, and any of us that try to guess where this is going to end up risk being guilty of that.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

jeffwarne

« Reply #392 on: March 29, 2020, 06:50:46 PM »
RE:  Once we get through this health crisis and then deal with the economic mess.

Perhaps with the large amounts of people that are walking and carrying or push pulling due to limited or no carts and no caddies,
people will realize that golf is and can be great exercise.
When people have to make choices to allocate limted cash resourcses, perhaps golf might see some of the dollars that would previously be given to gyms, which are going to get a defnite hit as people have had to find alternative ways to work out and stay in shape without the gym.

Which probably doesn't bode well for gyms-especially in the short run when fear, or at least caution, will probably rule the day for a while.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:02:38 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Thurman

« Reply #393 on: March 29, 2020, 09:32:04 PM »
Update in Ohio:

As of yesterday, the Department of Health for Ohio has changed there mind and golf is not an essential business and all courses should be closed.   

Would not be surprised some courses try to stay open and who knows how long until they change there minds again.

Stay healthy,
chris

The conditions in Ohio have changed once again and public courses are able to reopen starting tomorrow, with social distancing best practices in place. At least in my county, the health department has been pretty aggressively closing private club courses where members are failing to social distance. With this great freedom comes great responsibility, for both golfers and course operators.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2020, 03:16:29 AM »
RE:  Once we get through this health crisis and then deal with the economic mess.

Perhaps with the large amounts of people that are walking and carrying or push pulling due to limited or no carts and no caddies,
When people have to make choices to allocate limted cash resourcses, perhaps golf might see some of the dollars that would previously be given to gyms, which are going to get a defnite hit as people have had to find alternative ways to work out and stay in shape without the gym.

Which probably doesn't bode well for gyms-especially in the short run when fear, or at least caution, will probably rule the day for a while.
We bought some quite serious weights, a bench and a stand and a few other small pieces of equipment.  Our garage is functioning for the next 12 weeks as a gym, and doing a fine job of it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »

We bought some quite serious weights, a bench and a stand and a few other small pieces of equipment.  Our garage is functioning for the next 12 weeks as a gym, and doing a fine job of it.
Mark,

Especially if you are talking about workouts that are going to be helpful for golf, it's not even necessary to have much weight involved.  There are a multitude of Youtube videos now with body weight workouts, stuff with resistance bands, and stuff with very light weights that will absolutely kick your ass AND help your golf swing more than what we usually think of as "working out".

If you take a serious look at TPI-type workouts, it's striking how little weight is used; if you DO those workouts, it's striking how hard they are!  Track and field athletes have been doing stuff for decades that not only doesn't use much weight, but doesn't even look like their event; golf is just now catching up.  One of the great misconceptions out there is that the guys on Tour that work out a lot are doing Olympic lifts with a lot of weight; some are, for sure.  But more and more, those guys are working on mobility more than either strength or flexibility.

Every older golfer could benefit hugely from just working on hip mobility, plus glute and core strength (both of which can be done with just bands or body weight); many would come back to golf on the other side of this thing feeling better and likely hitting the ball farther and straighter besides.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »
So UNC-Finley reopens today at noon; I'd have lost a BIG bet on that.
No access to the clubhouse, including bathrooms, food, water.  Staff will check golfers in outside the front door.No range, holes on the putting green will be capped, with no flags.No rakes in the bunkers, no coolers on the course, on-course bathrooms locked, cups turned upside down.  Players are requested NOT to touch the flagstick.15 minutes tee times.

Literally, I should be able to get out of my car, play and return to my car without touching anything other than my own stuff or being within 6' of anybody else the entire time.

I won't deny that it feels like it'll be a guilty pleasure, and I completely understand why non-golfers don't get it and that it looks bad to them, but I must admit that I'm looking forward to it, and that objectively it is at least as safe as a walk in the neighborhood, and much safer than a trip to the grocery store. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
Say what you will about Trump, he has stopped playing:
https://trumpgolfcount.com/displayoutings

During his last round on March 8th he said "It's not as bad as the press is making it out to be"

That's probably still true, as Drs. Fauci and Birx are taking great pains to TRY and point out to our useless press.  It was also two days before DeBlasio tweeted "we want to encourage people to go out."  "there's very little threat here.  This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu."

"Heckuva job" as they say by ALL of those responsible to protect us, not just the "other team."

So Bernie the press probably isn't completely useless; you seem to be getting information about this situation from somewhere, right?  Even if you're getting it from the internet, it got to the internet from somewhere, didn't it?

But that said, you're hearing Fauci a LOT differently than I am.  I heard Birx talk about the variability in statistical models, and I understand what she was saying, but I haven't heard Fauci say even once that this isn't as bad as it seems.  He seems to be a consistent voice of reason in all of this, and he estimated yesterday that we would see between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths in the US in the coming months.  And, of course, the flipside of Brix's take on the statistical models is that they could be wrong in EITHER direction.  Fauci, who seems to rely on the algorithms and statistical models, qualifies that by pointing out that the virus is still a "moving target", but that it could be moving in either direction.  In short, I wouldn't confuse what Brix said with what either the mayor of NYC or the president said when they were relying on their intuition rather than science.

Meanwhile, Brix yesterday said this; "No state, no metro area, will be spared."  Brix also referenced the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, whose director is a man named Chris Murray, widely regarded to be the best in the country, if not the world, at forecasting things like this.  FWIW, he uses algorithms, not intuition, and he predicts a 50,000 shortfall of hospital beds by April 14th, with a 15,000 bed ICU shortfall.  The spillover, of course, is that we aren't just talking at that point about Covid19 deaths, we're also going to have heart attack patients and car accident victims and cancer patients and sick children and so on getting a lower standard of care than "normal" because of the strain on the healthcare system and its workers.

I must say, I found nothing in what either Fauci or Brix said to indicate in any way that they believed that this is being made to look worse than it is by the press.  And, FWIW, Fauci was speaking on CNN and Brix on "Meet the Press", so it would seem that they don't view the press as "useless" at all; I imagine both had plenty to do yesterday without looking for ways to waste time.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #398 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:08 AM »
A.G.

Lots of good posts there, thanks!

The weights are more for my eldest son (a rugby player) and wife (who has started weightlifting as a way of working out) than me, though I am taking to opportunity to do some leg work as I also do a fair bit of recreational, non-competitive cycling and my climbing ability could really do with improvement.  I must look into some of those TPI work outs you mention.  Is there a good place to look?

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

jeffwarne

« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »

Mark,

Especially if you are talking about workouts that are going to be helpful for golf, it's not even necessary to have much weight involved.  There are a multitude of Youtube videos now with body weight workouts, stuff with resistance bands, and stuff with very light weights that will absolutely kick your ass AND help your golf swing more than what we usually think of as "working out".

If you take a serious look at TPI-type workouts, it's striking how little weight is used; if you DO those workouts, it's striking how hard they are!  Track and field athletes have been doing stuff for decades that not only doesn't use much weight, but doesn't even look like their event; golf is just now catching up.  One of the great misconceptions out there is that the guys on Tour that work out a lot are doing Olympic lifts with a lot of weight; some are, for sure.  But more and more, those guys are working on mobility more than either strength or flexibility.

Every older golfer could benefit hugely from just working on hip mobility, plus glute and core strength (both of which can be done with just bands or body weight); many would come back to golf on the other side of this thing feeling better and likely hitting the ball farther and straighter besides.

+1   

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back