News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

C. Sturges

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »
Here in Ohio, the government sees golf as an essential business.  With that, I have not worked in over two weeks to be safe.   I have no plans to play golf with the risks involved.
In my mind it is very reckless to go out of state to golf currently.  If not for yourself, but the people you will come in contact with.

I do hope when this is over for a “Buddy Up”. 

Stay Healthy
chris

Mark Pearce

« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2020, 03:28:20 PM »
Just got done "playing" nine holes with my daughter. We "loaded" up the Sunday bag (each) with four or five clubs, and played from the tees to the greens, often with two or three balls, and walked. The cups (the holes where the cups go, anyway) are filled with sand right now, so no putting, but now and then we hit a few chips. It's quite windy, and a bit soggy.

We were the only people on the entire course besides the superintendent (mowing fairways) and the head pro (finishing up the greens mowing I helped with this morning).

My wife walked 5 miles around our neighborhood and passed 79 other people by her count.

PA remains "closed" to all golf courses, whether you're in Philly or not. Erie had five cases of COVID-19, but four of those five trace back to one person who got back from a cruise in early March. Soon if no other cases pop up we should have zero active cases.

I've heard, unfortunately, of golfers driving to Ohio to play golf. Little Mountain is definitely open.

Minnesota has closed courses so my Son and I are headed to Iowa this weekend. If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC not keep people from playing golf with proper precautions.
Seriously, I'm staggered.  It's bad enough to be that selfish.  To advertise the fact is astonishing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
Here's a state by state list:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/heres-a-state-by-state-breakdown-of-where-golfs-allowed-and-where-it-isnt[

FL has to be updated as Palm Beach County courses are now closed.

An odd list.  Not sure what is "pending" about golf in New York.  The state itself left its courses open, and nearly all publics on Long Island at least have followed suit.  Seems like the answer should be a simple "yes."
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Buck Wolter

« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
Just got done "playing" nine holes with my daughter. We "loaded" up the Sunday bag (each) with four or five clubs, and played from the tees to the greens, often with two or three balls, and walked. The cups (the holes where the cups go, anyway) are filled with sand right now, so no putting, but now and then we hit a few chips. It's quite windy, and a bit soggy.

We were the only people on the entire course besides the superintendent (mowing fairways) and the head pro (finishing up the greens mowing I helped with this morning).

My wife walked 5 miles around our neighborhood and passed 79 other people by her count.

PA remains "closed" to all golf courses, whether you're in Philly or not. Erie had five cases of COVID-19, but four of those five trace back to one person who got back from a cruise in early March. Soon if no other cases pop up we should have zero active cases.

I've heard, unfortunately, of golfers driving to Ohio to play golf. Little Mountain is definitely open.

Minnesota has closed courses so my Son and I are headed to Iowa this weekend. If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC not keep people from playing golf with proper precautions.
Seriously, I'm staggered.  It's bad enough to be that selfish.  To advertise the fact is astonishing.

I'm seriously staggered as well.

My son and I will get up pack a cooler, drive 2-3 hours, play in a twosome where the 2 people live under one roof while not getting within 20 feet of anybody else, get back in our car and drive home the same day. We will have to be careful washing our hands before and after using the bathroom or getting gas. We're not going to a concert, we'll come into contact with less people than if I went to one of our Minnesota essential businesses such as a liquor store. We will also not invite or visit my 80 YO father who will probably be pissed about it if he finds out.

I'd like to know how many of you have a teenager under house arrest. I have a kid who's missing his senior year of high school -- golf season, ,prom, graduation (not to mention our recently cancelled spring break trip to Florida to play golf). Getting out in the fresh air and spending the day together doing something we both love is the best thing I can think of and our odds of getting or giving someone COVID-19 is  infinitesimal. I wish I didn't have to drive to Iowa to do it but that's up to our Gov.

John we will always have Mystic Dunes.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jim Sherma

« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »
My son and I went for a walk with a wedge and 6 balls each. Found a nice big empty field and hit and chased maybe 30-40 shots each while walking around. It was a wonderful way to kill and hour or so. A few months of that should help the short game at least.

Not sure how walking around a course in isolation while not putting out is more risky than that. Of course, if the course is open then the isolation aspect goes out the window, and the competitive nature of putting comes into the picture.

Mark Stewart

« Reply #280 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »
 If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC.

Fewer people in NYC means less strain on their healthcare system.

South Florida courses are closing to stop attracting people leaving NYC,etc.

You can fly round trip Laguardia to Miami for $100 this weekend per Expedia;you can fly Philly to Miami for $40, but you can't choose your seat.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:33:24 PM by Mark Stewart »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
[quote If they were serious about stopping this they'd blockade NYC .

That's the definition of selfish
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark Pearce

« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »
Buck,

A 2-3 hour drive each way?  So you're going to need fuel.  And no, it may come as a surprise but you are not the only household with bored younger people in it.  I have a colleague who is a mother, working from home with 7 year old twins.  She has resisted the need to pop out for a day's excursion and justify it on the "kids are difficult" basis.  This is more important than that.  This is about other peoples' lives.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #283 on: March 26, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
Get out your hats, pom poms, and USA chants.... the US is now officially #1!

https://bing.com/covid

V. Kmetz

« Reply #284 on: March 26, 2020, 05:53:29 PM »
Get out your hats, pom poms, and USA chants.... the US is now officially #1!

https://bing.com/covid

I knew we cud git er' done.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

SL_Solow

« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »
Illinois just reversed itself again.  Golf courses not permitted to open

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
Freedom isn’t free.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »
Buck,

A 2-3 hour drive each way?  So you're going to need fuel.  And no, it may come as a surprise but you are not the only household with bored younger people in it.  I have a colleague who is a mother, working from home with 7 year old twins.  She has resisted the need to pop out for a day's excursion and justify it on the "kids are difficult" basis.  This is more important than that.  This is about other peoples' lives.

Mark where do you live and what was the date of your last round of golf?

Mark Stewart

« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:33 PM »

After Pearl Harbor, FDR didn't blame Hawaii, he didn't expect the governors to coordinate the D-Day Invasion, and he didn't delegate the Manhatten Project to the mayors and county commisioners.

And WWII didn't end because "everyone did their job." It ended because Harry Truman did his job. Twice.

The lack of national leadership today means city vs. city; state vs. state; county vs county;public vs. private; GCAer vs GCAer.

America fought WWII.
Americans are fighting COVID-19.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »

After Pearl Harbor, FDR didn't blame Hawaii, he didn't expect the governors to coordinate the D-Day Invasion, and he didn't delegate the Manhatten Project to the mayors and county commisioners.

And WWII didn't end because "everyone did their job." It ended because Harry Truman did his job. Twice.

The lack of national leadership today means city vs. city; state vs. state; county vs county;public vs. private; GCAer vs GCAer.

America fought WWII.

When did nuclear bombs get woke again?

SL_Solow

« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »
Barney, just so you understand, I was being informative.  I really don't have a problem with the restrictions as there is no reason that golfers should be favored over others.  Even if golf is less dangerous, the perception of favoritism may lead others to behave inappropriately.  It may also reinforce stereotypes that golfers are privileged.  I'll miss playing but there are worse things

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
It worries me that I am doing the best I can only because I have been given no choice. If left up to me I would be acting as stupidly as so many others. That is the best explanation of why it makes me so angry.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
In the words of the other Robert Hunter, please don't dominate the rap, Jack, if you got nothing new to say. 
(One way or another, this darkness got to give.)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2020, 02:18:37 AM »
Buck,

Mark where do you live and what was the date of your last round of golf?
Newcastle upon Tyne, mid-February.  Why?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »

America fought WWII.
Amen, Mark.

1A on NPR dedicated the entire show on Wednesday to a review of the mechanisms at the federal level that were/are in place and available for this situation that were NOT used for over a month after it became clear that this was coming. 

If you want to get a feel for the problems that a lack of leadership and national direction can cause, listen to a TED talk that Bill Gates gave back in 2015 after the Ebola outbreak.  It's less than 10 minutes long, and it is profoundly disturbing to know that we not only didn't do most of the things that we could have done, but that some of the available resources were either not used, or dismantled.

And now we lead the world in cases; more than China, or Italy, or Spain, or Iran.  And still no meaningful national response beyond travel restrictions from abroad; everything has been left piecemeal to governors and mayors.  Two weeks ago, there were less than a thousand new cases per day in the country; now the number exceeds 15k per day, and yesterday West Virginia became the last of the 50 states to have an active case.  Meanwhile, the president openly states that he wants to "reopen" the economy (whatever THAT means) two weeks from now as part of the Easter holidays. 

I'll let the math of the last two weeks speak for the possibilities of the next two weeks.  In the face of this, golf seems trivialized beyond words.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

jeffwarne

« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
AG
What I find most troubling and hard to watch...
are the rambling interviews, still full of self praise about "closing the borders"(ironically the borders are now closed to us)
and multiple repeats of
"No one could've seen this coming"
Does NOT instill confidence...

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »
Once you see temporary morgues being brought in you should be able to make your own decision about if you should play golf.

Why on one hand are we offended by the term Chinese Virus while celebrating the use of nuclear weapons and internment camps on the other? Let's put the fake outrage to bed at least until our loved ones are no longer confined to one.

MCirba

« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
Suddenly, people realize that they need an effective federal government.
Too bad it's been systematically, purposefully, and effectively dismantled.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bernie Bell

« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
Dismanted?  Pretty sure that federal spending has gone from ~$2.7 trillion in 2007 to ~$4.8 trillion in fiscal 2021, before accounting for this week's potential blast.  Including from ~$4.0 to ~4.8 under Trump.  As long as we're going all in on the Twitterization of GCA.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »
Bernie,

Thanks to you I spent an hour last night trying to figure our if Robert Hunter Biden was named after a member of the Grateful Dead. I decided not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back