News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wuthrich

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
ANGC just shut down operations until further notice.  Hard to believe what has happened in the past week!

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
I had a member who was quite upset I wouldn't allow him an indoor lesson this week.
He wanted to prepare for ANGC on Thursday.
I was pretty sure that wasn't happening ,but I reserved comment.

Was on a conference call with SiriusXM this afternoon.
All live shows cancelled beginning tomorrow to protect support staff (many of us do our shows remotely)
Perhaps an opportunity to do some prerecorded content if they can figure out ways for producers to work remotelly.
Employees including show hosts continued to be paid-which is quite unexpected.

Absolutely surreal.
Lots of people are going to need a lot of help in the coming months....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:23:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
I had a member who was quite upset I wouldn't allow him an indoor lesson this week.
He wanted to prepare for ANGC on Thursday.
I was pretty sure that wasn't happening ,but I reserved comment.

Was on a conference call with SiriusXM this afternoon.
All live shows cancelled beginning tomorrow to protect support staff (many of us do our shows remotely)
Perhaps an opportunity to do some prerecorded content if they can figure out ways for producers to work remotelly.
Employees including show hosts continued to be paid-which is quite unexpected.

Absolutely surreal.
Lots of people are going to need a lot of help in the coming months....

Jeff-I thought the move by NY, NJ and CT to adopt the same virus protocols was a good move. Big change on the golf side between no restrictions Saturday to walking only and no food and beverage today with some clubs closed altogether in and around Hartford.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »
It’s taking time, but the fear, the specter, the risk of this threat is quickly taking away my “dependence” on sports, whether as a participant, a spectator or as a viewer. Just a few days ago, I canceled our trip to Florida. Pissed. Then I tried to find sports to watch on tv. All old and irrelevant, like me!  Then I contemplated the cancellation of just about everything sports related that I care about.

Then I was glad my folks died in the nursing home when we could be there to visit. To help with hospice. That jolted me back to reality. All of my sports perseveration is temporary. Now, I just want to do what I can to minimize risk to me and my loved ones.

So, opening day here in Chicago is delayed. I’m just hoping everyone dodges this viral bullet.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
I expect most UK clubhouses to be closed in the morning after the PMs requests. Courses probably remain open, my wife has had her greenkeeper team spilt into 3 with different start, break and finish times pulse a hygiene regime to try and lessen the impact of any illness.

I’m a government worker and have been put on paid special leave for now.
Cave Nil Vino

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »
ANGC just shut down operations until further notice.  Hard to believe what has happened in the past week!

Half their members are probably in New Zealand 

MLevesque

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 07:09:31 PM »
[size=78%]Golf Course Updates As a COVID-19 precaution, the Yale Golf Course will delay opening until further notice. We are committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our students, members, visitors and staff. For updates, please visit this website. For further information about Yale University’s response follow this [/size][size=78%]link[/size][/size][size=78%][/color].[/size]
I am Skew!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
New Zealand?  interesting, it is pretty isolated I suppose...

P.S.  Here is a covid tracker if anyone is interested. https://bing.com/covid

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Bavaria just shut down all non-essential outdoor activities. You're not even allowed to hike in the mountains in Austria, because all rangers and mountain rescue services have been reallocated to Corona duties.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Peter Flory

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »
My local park district course in town just shut down operations until further notice (suburbs of Chicagoland). 

I really don't see why they don't just require online payment and walking only.  How is anyone going to spread the virus that way? 

Confusion in MI based on the executive order.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/golf/2020/03/16/chief-golf-association-tells-michigan-courses-remain-closed/5062016002/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:28:42 PM by Peter Flory »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »
As the entire Bay Area is on Shelter in Place for the next 3 weeks, all courses will be closed. The emails have started rolling in—not that we needed them as confirmation!

JLahrman

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2020, 11:27:26 PM »

Then I was glad my folks died in the nursing home when we could be there to visit. To help with hospice. That jolted me back to reality. All of my sports perseveration is temporary. Now, I just want to do what I can to minimize risk to me and my loved ones.

Two of my parents' best friends are a couple who we lived right next door to for 10 years when my brothers and I were kids,. They have two kids about our ages. My parents have been friends with them for a good 40 years now. The husband had to go to hospice last week. Long story short, he has a very weak heart that they can't do anything about and the rest of his body is starting to shut down. His wife is not allowed to visit him unless his condition changes. And there can't be more than one visitor in the room at a time if his condition does change. And my parents had to cancel a trip back to the area (they were going to attend a wedding, and also make a visit to the hospice center to see him for the last time). Well that's out the window too. Really sucks. Oh and two people in my parents' retirement community have been diagnosed with COVID-19 (it's a neighborhood with probably 2,000 free-standing homes, but there is a big shared clubhouse).

Sports is a nice escape and it sure would be nice to have a bit of it now, but that's all it really is. Personally I've got to figure out how my wife and I are going to manage/hopefully home school our kids a bit while everything is shut down, and still get at least some shit done at work too.

If I bet everybody on this website $5 that someone you know will get diagnosed with it by the time this is all done with (assuming we actually wind up with testing capacity!), my guess is I'd make out OK.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 12:06:31 AM »
My two clubs announced (PA and MD) very limited club access - some take out food - one shop is closed access but course is open. Single rider carts and walking.

Daryl David

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:27 AM »

New Zealand has been ahead of this from the beginning.  Actions by the government have so far prevented any community spread.  Certainly a safe haven for now.

Just read an article saying that an unprecedented number of private jets were arriving in Queenstown and other popular airports in NZ. One “billionaire” was said to have deplaned and immediately met with a realtor attempting to buy several properties he had researched ahead of time. Unfortunately, he learned that the foreign buyer law prevented him from buying anything so he ended up leasing several adjacent properties for he and his extended family.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 02:19:35 AM »
Gentlemen,
New Zealand!!  We just got in half an hour before all visitors had to self-isolate for 14 days. So at least we can follow or itinerary. Having got off the flight at 23:30 Sunday night we learnt that all overseas persons returning to Oz have to self-isolate for 14 days!! So one game of golf for me at Jack's Point NZ will be my lot for a month. Now that could be debilitating!  There are 13 confirmed cases in NZ but we will be pretty much on our own in a car or looking at scenery ....which so far is spectacular.  Maybe Jack's Point will not allow play ....hmmmm. Must check it out.
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

astavrides

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:07 AM »

If I bet everybody on this website $5 that someone you know will get diagnosed with it by the time this is all done with (assuming we actually wind up with testing capacity!), my guess is I'd make out OK.

I think half the people on this site will get it unless lockdowns delay things until a vaccine comes out. I think most people will know someone who dies from it.

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
On Long Island, Nassau County munis are open for now despite the county's state of emergency.  That's Eisenhower Park and four local nine-holers.
Town of Islip closed its three munis -- Brentwood CC, Holbrook CC and nine-hole Gull Haven -- until 3/27.
Harbor Links delayed its reopening until 3/30.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Niall C

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »

covid tracker ?!

How do they know ? As far as I know the only people being tested are senior politicians, famous actors and actresses and premier league footballers.

FWIW - I spoke to my brother last night who has a committee meeting tonight at his club. The only topic is the virus and the likely response will be to shut the clubhouse but the course will stay open.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »

covid tracker ?!

How do they know ? As far as I know the only people being tested are senior politicians, famous actors and actresses and premier league footballers.

FWIW - I spoke to my brother last night who has a committee meeting tonight at his club. The only topic is the virus and the likely response will be to shut the clubhouse but the course will stay open.

Niall

They are very explicit about using the term "Confirmed Cases" to not speculate.  Reality is the number of people who actually have it is far larger, especially here in the States where most are being turned away from being tested.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
I'm not expecting to play golf for the next eight weeks, sadly.   

I suspect we'll all have more pressing matters to attend to, by and large.   

I'm also sure I'll appreciate the game all the more once it's available again.  Stay safe, everyone!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:01:55 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark Pearce

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »
 A rough muni in Manchester got four green fees it wouldn't have otherwise had today as one of my sons and three friends decided to get out and play golf after their lectures were cancelled!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
Europro Tour...third tier in Europe has cancelled for the whole year. 21 tournaments plus Q School.

Challenge Tour  maybe 5 or 6 events will be all.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »

covid tracker ?!

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
A rough muni in Manchester got four green fees it wouldn't have otherwise had today as one of my sons and three friends decided to get out and play golf after their lectures were cancelled!

The wonder is that they paid the green fee.............or, that there was anyone there to collect them !

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back