News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Any course restrictions due to Coronavirus?
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2020, 07:48:04 AM »
Oh, Jon. Please learn two things. First, that opinions can't be right or wrong, and second, that I understand this.

I think that golf - walking only, playing only with your housemates or possibly in a twosome or threesome of people, no touching of shared things, etc. - is safer than walking on a congested park path (which is still allowed) and is safe enough that it can be done even now, in the middle of the pandemic. Despite this, I have honored my governor's order and have not played since it was put in place.

Cheers. Be well.

Edit: Stupid spacing and fonts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:17:17 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #551 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
Not sure where the shortage of beds and ventilator figures come from, the exclude the new Nightingale hospitals being built in the UK. I spoke yesterday with a senior NHS manager in London and they aren’t overwhelmed and have spare capacity.

That's welcome news.  Also BoJo up and about.  The Queen's been pitch perfect, from my seat far away.  "Reminds me of when I addressed you from Windsor in 1940."   Loved that bit.  Her Majesty has seen some things. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #552 on: April 12, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
Courses in NC remain open, and I've played several times at UNC-Finley, which reopened ten days ago after being closed for a couple of weeks.  Management has taken every precaution possible (short of being closed, of course); single carts unless with a same household rider, no range, outside touchless check-in, only five people on the putting green at a time, 15 minute tee times, no rakes, swim noodles on the flagsticks, etc.  They are opening an hour later, and closing a couple of hours earlier, and the staff are all gloved and masked.

The head pro told me yesterday that while total rounds of course aren't normal because of the reduced hours and increased space between tee times, the utilization of available tee times is actually higher.  Some of that would likely be from squeezing play into a tighter window, some of that would be a lack of other recreational options, and some of that would be just so many people either not working or working reduced hours.  It'll be interesting to see what happens to play, assuming the course stays open, as disposable incomes shrink. 

I must confess that I am highly conflicted about all of this.  One the one hand, I feel safer BY FAR playing golf with my regular group (all old guys who understand how to manage their space) than I do in a grocery store, or even in a walk thru the neighborhood.  Literally, I touched NOTHING that didn't come with me to the course, nor did I get within 10' or so of anybody the entire time, and in our particular case, since we always have the first two tee times, we're not even really breathing anybody else's air.  And yet, something about it just feels wrong, especially as I drive home on largely empty roads past empty parking lots of closed businesses.  I'm not at all guilt-prone, but this is pushing me closer to the edge on that.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daryl David

« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »
Lots of desert dwellers in Southern CA are making the drive over to AZ. I have been asked to head over by several groups. So far, I have resisted.  Should be a boost to some courses that would never see revenue from that particular market.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
Less than an hour ago an 84 yr old neighbor asked me how the virus makes it to small towns. He asked because a lady who works at the local gas station tested positive. Sad in itself but she is a single mother who needed supplies for her children. With no other choice she went to Walmart for supplies and was spotted by a concerned citizen. The police had to show up and have her removed. This is a mile from my grandchildren. How about just staying home.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »
Anyone want to caption this?
What if the caption is "These two family members who live together are happy to get out to play a round of golf together for a little exercise."?  :)

(Note: not all that serious. I've supported walking only - no carts at all - for states that want to allow golf.)
Walking only doesn't work for me, with mobility problems. I belong two two clubs that have different cart policies. The close one (10 miles) is walking only, and has not cut me any financial slack because it is open. The other one (80 miles) allows carts but is in a vacation area where they don't like interlopers especially since they were overrun during our version of spring break.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »
Oh, Jon. Please learn two things. First, that opinions can't be right or wrong, and second, that I understand this.

I think that golf - walking only, playing only with your housemates or possibly in a twosome or threesome of people, no touching of shared things, etc. - is safer than walking on a congested park path (which is still allowed) and is safe enough that it can be done even now, in the middle of the pandemic. Despite this, I have honored my governor's order and have not played since it was put in place.

Cheers. Be well.

and with that you prove how little you understand the situation. Yes, your point about the park is a good one but your conclusion is so off the mark as to be flabbergasting.

Erik, how many people need to die each day before even you think maybe playing golf is not a good idea?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #559 on: April 12, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »
and with that you prove how little you understand the situation. Yes, your point about the park is a good one but your conclusion is so off the mark as to be flabbergasting.

Erik, how many people need to die each day before even you think maybe playing golf is not a good idea?
First, I haven't played golf since mid-March.

Second, a question: The last time I played golf I went with my daughter, who lives with me. We walked. We parked 40 feet from the next nearest car. We didn't get within 30 yards (I want to say 50, but there was a homeowner out for a walk who might have gotten just inside that margin?) of anyone in under two hours (we hit some extra balls here and there, as it was mid-March and we weren't in posting season), etc. The cups were flipped over and our ball never went in… and honestly, we didn't really even putt that much.

So my question is this: how did this endanger anyone or put anyone at further risk?

Did you play golf when COVID-19 was killing people in China? How about Italy? Have you played golf since November, or suspended all of your golf since before Thanksgiving? If you have, should everyone have? Do you suspend playing golf because soldiers are killed in Afghanistan or elsewhere? Did you play through any part of the flu epidemic of 2017-18, which killed 61,000 in the U.S.?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #560 on: April 12, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »
Erik,

How many people will your wife need to count on her walks before she deems them unsafe, or is she waiting for the government to give her a number?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #561 on: April 12, 2020, 03:37:39 PM »
How many people will your wife need to count on her walks before she deems them unsafe, or is she waiting for the government to give her a number?
She does not feel unsafe, and engages in an activity (walking in our neighborhood) that's both allowed and encouraged by the government.

I went for a run today for 32 minutes. I passed (never within 20 feet of anyone) 29 people in those 32 minutes. I also did not feel unsafe.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Thomas Dai

« Reply #562 on: April 12, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »
For decades when the weather and daylight permit I’ve been able to look up into the sky and see dozens and dozens of aircraft flying from west to east across the Atlantic. I’m very glad to say that today like every day for a while now I’ve seen none and what’s more I don’t want to see any until the vile virus situation has gone away.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:50:54 PM by Thomas Dai »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #563 on: April 12, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
For decades when the weather and daylight permit I’ve been able to look up into the sky and see dozens and dozens of aircraft flying from west to east across the Atlantic. I’m very glad to say that today I’ve seen none.
Atb

For almost 2 decades.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #564 on: April 12, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »

Cheers. Be well.
O

Be careful Jon or he will cry to Ran that you are picking on him.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark Pearce

« Reply #565 on: April 12, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »
There's an expression for that over here.  The word is bollocks.  Of course an opinion can be wrong.

No-one should be walking on a congested park path.  Only an idiot would do that.  That's a bit like saying that tightrope walking is safer than Russian roulette.  You continue to demonstrate that you simply don't get the danger with this virus.  And your tone deaf response to just about everyone on this thread demonstrates an arrogance that is simply stupefying.

Cheers. Be well.
I suspect Jon will be fine.  He lives in a sparsely populated part of a sparsely populated country and is an incredibly sensible man.  I'm more concerned for you and those close to you.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #566 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »
Most crime is down. Domestic violence is up. People taking precuations and out for a walk or golfing are probably safer than an abused spouse cooped up at home. But the spouse may get lucky if the other is arrested and put in a CV infested lockup.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #567 on: April 12, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »
Of course an opinion can be wrong.
Right and wrong are a matter of fact. Opinions, disagree or agree, or be ambivalent… they're not right or wrong.

No-one should be walking on a congested park path. Only an idiot would do that.
Well, news to nobody, there are a lot of idiots out there. Visit a number of state or local parks, hiking trails, etc. across the U.S. and you'll find a lot of people doing just that. (Some states have closed some parks, but most have not.)

You continue to demonstrate that you simply don't get the danger with this virus.  And your tone deaf response to just about everyone on this thread demonstrates an arrogance that is simply stupefying.
Do you know the mortality rate of the virus? Does anyone? Do you know how many people have been infected and recovered? Does anyone? No. You're operating, as is everyone, with limited information. Heck, you may have already had the virus and been asymptomatic.

Here's more "information" to add to the mix:
https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-case-counts-are-meaningless/
https://apple.news/AnZUJLV5gSeSxCGzYKJTg-g

I've also read a fair number of articles on the "other" side of this, too, which stress how bad everything is. The simple fact is that nobody knows at all what the true "danger" of this is. We also don't know what damage we're doing to the mental health of people, the physical health of people by keeping them inside (sunshine, exercise, etc. help the immune system), the damage we're doing to the economy… etc.

I suspect Jon will be fine.  He lives in a sparsely populated part of a sparsely populated country and is an incredibly sensible man.  I'm more concerned for you and those close to you.
As I've said, I'll probably be fine as well, as despite disagreeing with Governor Wolf about golf, I've obeyed his order and have pretty much stayed in, leaving only a few times to pick up food as needed. And I don't live all that close to NYC.

Be well to you, too. That's not a slam, that's me wishing you health and wellness. I'll see you on the other side, whenever we get there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:13:48 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #568 on: April 12, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
Erik reminds me of the people who argue against government mandated drunk driving limits. We all know, and may be one, who can drive better at .08 than many people can sober. Just because up to 10,000 people a year are killed each year by people who can not handle their liquor we are punished. It simply isn't fair that we are asked to change our behavior just cause other people don't know how to drink.

Now comes the perfect golfer practicing perfect social distancing being punished by because of an ignorant few. Cept this time 100,000 people may die. Poor Erik.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #569 on: April 12, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
Erik reminds me of the people who argue against government mandated drunk driving limits.
Bad comparison - drunk driving is a known thing. We understand it from just about every angle.

Re:COVID-19, we know next to nothing.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2020, 07:38:39 PM »
We know that social distancing saves lives.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:35 PM »
And to make this actually about golf once again… we also know that you can "social distance" on a golf course.

Look, I haven't really left my house except to mow my lawn, clean my garage, and get food, and we've only gotten food when needed. Nobody here would have a beef with any of my actions. I did go for a run today, because it was nice outside, during which I didn't get within 20 feet of anyone else. I'd like to play golf, love to really, but I haven't because we're not allowed, and I follow rules. I also have not driven to Ohio to play like others have, or to NY before they were shut down.

My only opinion throughout this entire discussion has been that people in certain areas should be allowed to play golf if enough rules are followed, and that they could do so in relative safety. That's it.

I hope everyone here is doing what they feel they need to do to stay safe, and healthy, and well.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:50:12 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #572 on: April 12, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
And to make this actually about golf once again… we also know that you can "social distance" on a golf course.

Exactly, some people can and you are probably one. Just how some of us can drive perfectly well over .08 blood alcohol. Unfortunately society has to set limits that apply to everyone. Don't worry, you will be having a similar argument with your daughter some day.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #573 on: April 12, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
Don't worry, you will be having a similar argument with your daughter some day.
I feel badly for the kids, particularly seniors. College and high school… but my daughter's in high school so I think most of that age kid. They won't get a senior prom. Spring sports were all canceled. They won't get to walk across the stage to graduate. They haven't hung out with their friends or even seen them in person for a month. From what I've seen they're mostly handling it better than I'd have imagined they would have, so kudos to them.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Terry Lavin

« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »
Of course an opinion can be wrong.
Right and wrong are a matter of fact. Opinions, disagree or agree, or be ambivalent… they're not right or wrong.

No-one should be walking on a congested park path. Only an idiot would do that.
Well, news to nobody, there are a lot of idiots out there. Visit a number of state or local parks, hiking trails, etc. across the U.S. and you'll find a lot of people doing just that. (Some states have closed some parks, but most have not.)

You continue to demonstrate that you simply don't get the danger with this virus.  And your tone deaf response to just about everyone on this thread demonstrates an arrogance that is simply stupefying.
Do you know the mortality rate of the virus? Does anyone? Do you know how many people have been infected and recovered? Does anyone? No. You're operating, as is everyone, with limited information. Heck, you may have already had the virus and been asymptomatic.

Here's more "information" to add to the mix:
https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-case-counts-are-meaningless/
https://apple.news/AnZUJLV5gSeSxCGzYKJTg-g

I've also read a fair number of articles on the "other" side of this, too, which stress how bad everything is. The simple fact is that nobody knows at all what the true "danger" of this is. We also don't know what damage we're doing to the mental health of people, the physical health of people by keeping them inside (sunshine, exercise, etc. help the immune system), the damage we're doing to the economy… etc.

As I've said, I'll probably be fine as well, as despite disagreeing with Governor Wolf about golf, I've obeyed his order and have pretty much stayed in, leaving only a few times to pick up food as needed. And I don't live all that close to NYC.

Be well to you, too. That's not a slam, that's me wishing you health and wellness. I'll see you on the other side, whenever we get there.

See you on the other side? Yep

I’m wishing you nothing but a desire that you only infect your own site with your presence. I’ll never post here again if you’re allowed to remain a member.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back