News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric LeFante

Re: Sleepy Hollow will host 2023 USGA MidAm
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »

My question for the Met Pga pro's in very basic terms is:

If we stipulate that Bethpage has high punitive rough and narrow fairways...does that leave players to aim for the middle of the fairways regardless of angles?

Fenway, though Tillinghast does not have fairways as narrow as Bethpage (granted much smaller scale) but does have rough a little higher than most clubs. 

What I am really want an opinion on is Sleepy Hollow where angles matter (at least for most), the greens are compelling, and the hole corridors are generous (large scale) and the rumpled fairways are extremely wide.

If the rough at Sleepy Hollow becomes too punitive (like I am told it was at the Met PGA)...doesn't that encourage play to the middle of the fairway? Especially in light of the point Jeff made that angles matter little for better players and the "miss" for aiming for the "preferred side" of a fairway is 4' rough?

Corey,

I'm not sure if 4 inches is the right height of the rough for the US Mid Am but I would strongly argue against 2 inches, especially for a course where angles matter. The US Mid Am is a national championship and the best player should win. If a green on a par 4 is most receptive from the right half of the fairway, I don't think it's fair for a player miss the fairway on the right by 10 yards (but only be in 2" of rough) be in a equal/better position than a guy who hits his drive in the center of the fairway. There needs to be a reward for hitting the golf ball straight.

Part of the reason why I don't hate the new 11th at Augusta (with all the trees on the right) is because I think the drive was way too easy before. You could hit it miles right and be rewarded with a great angle and there was no reward for a straight tee shot and you were actually penalized a bit. The trees on the right may be too numerous now but for a tournament site there needs to be a reward for good shots and a penalty for poor shots.

This goes back to distance as well. Hitting a 5 iron out of 2 inches of rough would be a penalty because you wouldn't be able to hold a firm green. But hitting an 8 iron out of 2 inches of rough is not a penalty. Also it would be amazing if the golf courses were firm but I've lived in the northeast my whole life and the weather rarely cooperates long enough for our golf course to really get firm. The good golf season is May - October (26 weeks), we may get 4 weeks of good firm conditions. The fall is most conducive to firm conditions but its not a guarantee like it is on the west coast.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »

My question for the Met Pga pro's in very basic terms is:

If we stipulate that Bethpage has high punitive rough and narrow fairways...does that leave players to aim for the middle of the fairways regardless of angles?

Fenway, though Tillinghast does not have fairways as narrow as Bethpage (granted much smaller scale) but does have rough a little higher than most clubs. 

What I am really want an opinion on is Sleepy Hollow where angles matter (at least for most), the greens are compelling, and the hole corridors are generous (large scale) and the rumpled fairways are extremely wide.

If the rough at Sleepy Hollow becomes too punitive (like I am told it was at the Met PGA)...doesn't that encourage play to the middle of the fairway? Especially in light of the point Jeff made that angles matter little for better players and the "miss" for aiming for the "preferred side" of a fairway is 4' rough?

Corey,

I'm not sure if 4 inches is the right height of the rough for the US Mid Am but I would strongly argue against 2 inches, especially for a course where angles matter. The US Mid Am is a national championship and the best player should win. If a green on a par 4 is most receptive from the right half of the fairway, I don't think it's fair for a player miss the fairway on the right by 10 yards (but only be in 2" of rough) be in a equal/better position than a guy who hits his drive in the center of the fairway. There needs to be a reward for hitting the golf ball straight.

Part of the reason why I don't hate the new 11th at Augusta (with all the trees on the right) is because I think the drive was way too easy before. You could hit it miles right and be rewarded with a great angle and there was no reward for a straight tee shot and you were actually penalized a bit. The trees on the right may be too numerous now but for a tournament site there needs to be a reward for good shots and a penalty for poor shots.

This goes back to distance as well. Hitting a 5 iron out of 2 inches of rough would be a penalty because you wouldn't be able to hold a firm green. But hitting an 8 iron out of 2 inches of rough is not a penalty. Also it would be amazing if the golf courses were firm but I've lived in the northeast my whole life and the weather rarely cooperates long enough for our golf course to really get firm. The good golf season is May - October (26 weeks), we may get 4 weeks of good firm conditions. The fall is most conducive to firm conditions but its not a guarantee like it is on the west coast.

Lots of "not GCAspeak" in that post, but also a lot of truth/reality.

Sleepy Hollow was particularly firm last September for the MET PGA, but there are few guarantees that will be the case in 2023. The fall brings many days of rains or even tropical storms to the northeast and they simply can't assume it will be firm.

As far as 11 at ANGC, the current hole sucks, but they did need to do something for safety reasons as that was the alleyway/preferred miss for longer hitters, often dangerously into the gallery. A few trees would've solved that issue-not Sherwood Forest and the awkward dogleg they have created.

I will quibble with your point on a hypothetical hole where we agree that the right side is preferred.
You state that 2 inch rough "rewards" the guy in the right rough and penalizes the guy who hit it straight, who "should be rewarded".
But if we've agreed that the right side is the preferred spot and therefore where we are aiming, why is the ball in the middle considered a "straight" ball. He has missed his target (the right side) the same as the player just in the 2 inch right rough, maybe less. So the player in "the middle" deserves no more advantage than the guy in the right rough and the smarter player will figure that out. That is the essence of strategy, rather than point and shoot golf. 2 inch rough should take the spin off and I can assure you Sleepy Hollow's greens would not have held anything other than a perfectly struck and judged 8 iron from that 2 inch rough-the greens were that firm and that fast. Shouldn't calculated "recovery" from a preferred angle be an important skill? especially if it is not a given? Now if that same shot was possible from the left rough (on that chosen hole) I would say it renders the strategy of that hole moot.

Do they need 4 inch rough? I don't know as I stated above.
I do know that with today's players and length, more fairway means more drivers, and unless you have the genius of Alistaire MacKenzie and Royal Melbourne climate and conditions, angles simply matter less if wedges are the approach club.

When it's not firm,angles really dont matter for the elite except on a par 5 second shot or a very long par 4 due to multiple factors.
1. Equipment-the ball simply goes forever for a high speed player, and if it's firm, even longer. Wedges simply can be held on a green. Do away with rough and they really will hit driver early and often.
2.Speed of greens has forced architects to reduce tilt and slope on greens, so even though a put may be similar than it was 40 years ago, the first bounce is entirely different when an angled approach hits a green now tilted  at 1.5 degrees rather than 4.

Wouldn't it be great, now that we've crawled out of the dark ages of architecture, and rediscovered the importance of width, angles strategy and options (a la the first Golden Age) if scale were returned (via equipment reduction) to compliment the great designs when played in competition so we could all enjoy and admire these great players showcasing their diverse skill set, rather than their partial wedge game. If you look at an aeriel of 1920's classic, the fairways were nearly as wide as they were long-when one could really catch an angel to green design where that mattered---hard to do when a a good drive now goes 25% farther, and the target(not always the green) is softer and flatter.....

Sort of ironic that as the Architectural Dark ages were beginning to close in the late 1990's, the Dark age of equipment was suddenly rising to neuter the skill and judgement required to thrive on the re-enlightened architecture.....

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:25:24 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric LeFante

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
Jeff,

Agree with just about everything you said. For tournament golf I think there needs to be a balance between the way the US Open was set up 40 years ago and the way you would set up Sleepy Hollow for member play. Going too far to either side isn't good. There needs to be some penalty for a bad shot and some reward for a good shot.

I agree the execution of the 11th hole changes at Augusta aren't good but I like the intent. There needs to be some emphasis on hitting a good tee shot. With the old version of the hole, the guy who hit a 10 yard fade had a worse angle then the guy who hit a 30 yard block/slice. It takes zero skill to hit a 30 yard block/slice (I would know).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:16:03 PM by Eric LeFante »

Jeff Loh

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
Thank you Jeff W!!

Eric
I would disagree. I think it takes a lot of talent to hit an intentional 40 yard "slice." Try it!

I think what Corey is worried about it what happened to Sedgefield. They host a PGA Tour event and grow the rough to ridiculous heights. It may "penalize" the pros but it f's up the golf course for the members who play it the other 51 weeks out of the year. Case in point. I pulled a drive 5 yards left on 1. Member I was playing with said no worries. TEN minutes later I found my ball. And THREE others whilst looking. Now I know dormant Bermuda is a little different but the point is the same. Why change a perfectly good course for 1 week out of the year?
Has anyone at Sleepy asked Gil what he thinks about 4 inch rough??

Eric LeFante

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »
Thank you Jeff W!!

Eric
I would disagree. I think it takes a lot of talent to hit an intentional 40 yard "slice." Try it!

I think what Corey is worried about it what happened to Sedgefield. They host a PGA Tour event and grow the rough to ridiculous heights. It may "penalize" the pros but it f's up the golf course for the members who play it the other 51 weeks out of the year. Case in point. I pulled a drive 5 yards left on 1. Member I was playing with said no worries. TEN minutes later I found my ball. And THREE others whilst looking. Now I know dormant Bermuda is a little different but the point is the same. Why change a perfectly good course for 1 week out of the year?
Has anyone at Sleepy asked Gil what he thinks about 4 inch rough??

Jeff,

I completely agree with you, I would not change a golf course for 1 week a year. There's no reason Sedgfield can't cut the rough 51 weeks a year, just like there's no reason Sleepy Hollow can't have the rough 1 inch higher than normal for the US Mid Am and then go back to the normal height after the event.

Golf Digest did a great interview with Joel Dahmen. He made a fantastic point about different levels of players and mentions his caddie, who qualifed for the US Mid Am. Easy set ups don't identify the best players. The point of a national championship is to identify the best players. I don't believe in pitch out rough that eliminates the recovery game, but there needs to be some rough.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-joel-dahmen-is-the-best-interview-on-the-pga-tour

What’s the difference between you and a golfer who’s never going to graduate from the Korn Ferry Tour?

It’s hard to describe, but that guy is never going to have total control of his golf ball. You can see it in his ball flight and around the greens. When he’s hot, he shoots 63 and looks great, but he can’t do it for four days, much less a season. Scratch golfers are really good, but they don’t always know which way the ball is going to curve. I sometimes forget how good I am and can be, then I go play with my caddie, Geno Bonnalie, who qualified for the U.S. Mid-Am in 2017. At an easy course with light rough where he can wedge it on from anywhere, I’ll give him one shot a side. At 7,500 yards with trouble everywhere, I might give him seven a side. Not to sound like a jerk, but people don’t understand the control required to play PGA Tour setups.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:48:26 PM by Eric LeFante »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
Matt C. -

I think you have either played in or attended the USGA Am, Mid-Am and 4-Ball. Can you compare how the courses are set up for these events?

I have seen the Olympic Lake for the Open, Am, 4-Ball and Junior Am. The course was set-up with very deep rough for the first two. But the set-up for the 4-Ball and Junior Am was not too different from how the course is for member play.

Is the set-up for the Mid-Am as tough as for the Am?

DT

Yes, the Four-Ball is an easier setup—basically what the members play day-to-day. I haven't seen a Junior. The Mid-Am is nearly as tough as the Am. Even the secondary courses are made to narrow fairways, grow serious rough, install/remove chipping areas, build tees, etc.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »
At the Mid-Am at Stonewall in 2016, the rough was grown up, the greens were sped and firmed and some tees were taken out of long term hibernation to lengthen the courses, but the fairways on both courses didn’t change from their normal width for member play.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

corey miller

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »

Many issues here and thanks for the thoughtful responses. 

Assuming there are  no changes in width...Will the USGA be smart enough to have different rough heights at the two venues which are very different designs and play very differently?

The two venues already have drastically different heights of rough (which is appropriate for member play)...Do we think the USGA takes this into account? or the fact that one of the venues will be used for match play which might engender a slightly different set-up?

Of the great Tillinghast courses, which do we believe has the highest rough for everyday play? Bethpage?

Should we assume Fenway will have Bethpage type rough?

Of the great Macdonald/Raynor school courses which has the highest most punitive rough for everyday play?  Should Sleepy Hollow be set up like that?   

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »

Many issues here and thanks for the thoughtful responses. 

Assuming there are  no changes in width...Will the USGA be smart enough to have different rough heights at the two venues which are very different designs and play very differently?

The two venues already have drastically different heights of rough (which is appropriate for member play)...Do we think the USGA takes this into account? or the fact that one of the venues will be used for match play which might engender a slightly different set-up?

Of the great Tillinghast courses, which do we believe has the highest rough for everyday play? Bethpage?

Should we assume Fenway will have Bethpage type rough?

Of the great Macdonald/Raynor school courses which has the highest most punitive rough for everyday play?  Should Sleepy Hollow be set up like that?

Corey,
The Bridge was the "second course" like Fenway for the 2010 US Mid-Am.
The USGA came out about every 6 months or so for a couple years and told us we could play the event 'as is" every time they came.
The wanted us to have a second cut but we said no-so that was that.
(We have one now-in fact nearly all our rough is that short height now)
What I'm saying is,given the quality of Sleepy and Fenway,'I doubt the USGA will make you vary what you do day to day.
The 4 inch rough at Sleepy was NOT the MET PGA's idea.
They (the MET PGA) are very concerned about pace of play-especially in late September with a large field.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Loh

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »
Jeff
Who decided to grow the rough I wonder?
I think it's worse if the club made that decision and not the Met PGA.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
Great news and well deserved.  I know we have a few members here... how does SH play in mid September?

September is upstate NY's bonus summer month.  Not unusual to see days in a row of sun, temps in the 70's, dry and clear.

What any Met Section Super will tell you is that September is the first prime weather month where they feel comfortable firming up the course from tee-to-green and allow for lower green heights. Courses usually soft from May-Aug suddenly have run. Canted fairways suddenly turn into ski slopes and rough heights around the collars may well determine the winning scores

No doubt, Sleepy will be spectacular for this event. I am supremely confident, the club's passionate and talented superintendent, Tom Leahy, will match Mother Nature as best as is humanly possible and deliver an eminently playable course. We should all hope for good weather preceding and during the event.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 12:04:34 PM »
Hosting a USGA national amateur championship is the greatest golf experience in my lifetime. In my case it was the Senior Amateur at Beverly in 2009. The USGA leadership was absolutely excellent and reasonably low key. The players were just great, not fussy or demanding and we wound up with Vinny Giles who had won the US Amateur decades earlier. I’m sure the members at Sleepy Hollow will have a similar experience in 2023.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back