News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Pebble Restoration Curious
« on: December 30, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
I have seen the pictures floating around of Pebble Beach with the unkempt bunkers, etc.

If they went through and did a proper (by gca.com standards) of the course, tore out the cart paths, etc. etc.  Would that vault it closer to the top of the rankings?

Would it send a good message across to membership boards to get back to the basics?

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Pebble Restoration Curious
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
I have seen the pictures floating around of Pebble Beach with the unkempt bunkers, etc.

If they went through and did a proper (by gca.com standards) of the course, tore out the cart paths, etc. etc.  Would that vault it closer to the top of the rankings?

Would it send a good message across to membership boards to get back to the basics?
Has Pinehurst #2 gone up in the rankings since its renovation?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »

Has Pinehurst #2 gone up in the rankings since its renovation?

Yes -https://www.pinehurst.com/news/pinehurst-no-2-moves-up-in-golf-coms-top-100-courses-in-the-world/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »
Yes -https://www.pinehurst.com/news/pinehurst-no-2-moves-up-in-golf-coms-top-100-courses-in-the-world/
Right, I thought so. So that bodes well for Pebble, I would think.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

John Emerson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 11:53:43 PM »
That place is printing money...do they even care about a restoration? That’s the million dollar question.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
That place is printing money...do they even care about a restoration? That’s the million dollar question.

I agree with John, the ATM is spitting out money and they are in the US Open rotation while hosting the annual pro am.  Charging people $500 or more and filling the resort in the process has to be lucrative.  Unless the USGA leans on them to do something to stay in the rotation I don't think they will do much, nor have the incentive to do so.  BTW I shudder to think what the USGA would suggest as well. :'(
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ryan Carey

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:17:55 AM »
Steve, I presume you are referring to the famous 1920s photo of #7 (and other similar ones) that is commonly circulated. That’s Chandler Eagan’s version that he created for the 1929 US Amateur.

Egan’s version of Pebble is arguably one of the best, if not the best, of all the iterations of Pebble Beach. But it’s important to note that those dunes and that sand were not at all original to the rocky land that ended up being the 7th hole. Egan’s version of the 7th, while incredible-looking in photos, was also apparently not very practical. Wind kept blowing the sand away (and onto the green). So Egan’s version of 7 only lasted a few short years before being completely changed.

But man, that’s a gorgeous looking hole

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 10:09:32 AM »
One might ask just why HCE thought this idea would work? Sand dunes shift in the wind; why wouldn’t imitation dunes shift as well? Pot bunkers are deep in windy Scotland not so much to punish but to preserve the sand! Does anyone know just exactly how long the imitation dunes s lasted; I’ve never heard the date that PB blew them up.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back