News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Sports media site SB Nation occasionally likes to dabble in some pretty off-beat content. Their Fumble Dimension video series is about "breaking" various sports video games by subjecting the AI in those games to some ridiculous scenarios. They've done an episode with NBA 2K and two with NFL Head Coach '09, and now they've turned their baleful gaze on...

...GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/12/27/21024872/fumble-dimension-the-golf-club-2019

It's not often we get a look at our little niche subject of interest through the eyes of people who emphatically are not nerdy about it like we are. I'm pretty excited to see the results.

EDIT: Font and link fixed. My bad.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:26:56 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Colin Macqueen

Re: "The Fumble Dimension is going to destroy golf, and we need your help"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
Tim,

The font size dimension has me fumbling!!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David Harshbarger

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »

Sports media site SB Nation occasionally likes to dabble in some pretty off-beat content. Their Fumble Dimension video series is about "breaking" various sports video games by subjecting the AI in those games to some ridiculous scenarios. They've done an episode with NBA 2K and two with NFL Head Coach '09, and now they've turned their baleful gaze on...

...GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/12/27/21024872/fumble-dimension-the-golf-club-2019

It's not often we get a look at our little niche subject of interest through the eyes of people who emphatically are not nerdy about it like we are. I'm pretty excited to see the results.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 02:47:50 PM »
That link wasn't redirecting correctly for me.  Try this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/12/27/21024872/fumble-dimension-the-golf-club-2019

David Harshbarger

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »

Can I get a caption, please?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
When I was in college my classmates (only two of whom played golf) decided to have their own golf hole design competition for my benefit.

The winning entry had an island green with no bridge - predating the 17th at Sawgrass by a couple of years - and a tiger chained to the flagstick 😄

Pete_Pittock

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
The trouble with early Nicklaus is that he forced you to hit a high fade. 

David Harshbarger

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »

What an udder disaster. Perfect example of a Doak 0. But good follow-through.

Tom_Doak

Re: "The Fumble Dimension is going to destroy golf, and we need your help" New
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
I actually had to hit a shot over a small herd of cows lying in the grass at Minchinhampton Old Course the day I played there.  I think it was on the 12th hole.  They were about 50 yards in front of me, so it was a very simple thing, but it did make me nervous!

note: fixed typos from my phone
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:01:58 PM by Tom_Doak »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »

Open only on Sundays.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 01:27:11 AM »
I'm actually a big fan of this software. Generally I like to stick to more traditional looking courses though. There's another user here (Peter?) who has been using this for his re-imagining of Lido.

There's also Perfect Golf, which seems to have a much smaller user base but a more conservative one, in terms of the kinds of virtual courses they build and want to see built. There is one guy there who likes to go the crazy route (i.e. courses on Mars, through the pyramids, in a prison, etc..) but he tends to be the odd one out. In most cases the popular courses are real course recreations, especially now that a lot of them are laid out on top of lidar data.

There's a lot of simulators running both of these, so from a practical standpoint I need to consider those players when I'm creating something. Hitting over horses and kangaroos usually isn't part of that :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
There's quite a bit in favour of indoor simulator golf imo.
Image having access to an indoor simulator version of TOC or Cypress Point or Augusta not as they are now but as they were say 30 or 60 or 90 yrs ago or in the case of TOC 130+yrs ago.
Not only would it be good fun to 'play' them but it would highlight and hopefully educate current golfers of various ages and those administrators who oversee the game what the game was once like, ........ maybe how even it should still be?
Be really cool I would have thought to experience a famous course when it looked like these ones only with better enhanced images, colouring etc -

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back