News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Royal Dornoch as it once was - photos
« on: December 26, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »
Some now coloured old B&W photos of Royal Dornoch.
Enjoy.
atb

Sean_A

Re: Royal Dornoch as it once was - photos
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 05:19:45 AM »
Which hole is the 5th photo?

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:06:56 AM »

Happy Hockey

The Fifth!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:09:05 AM »

Happy Hockey

The Fifth!
F.

The course looks so much better to play without all the gorse.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »
I believe the 5th photo is of the current 5th hole. What number the hole was when the photo was taken, which could be pre-WWII, may be another matter.

With regard to the gorse, once it’s established removing gorse isn’t easy especially on severe slopes. Neither sheep nor cattle will eat it but goats love it and are good slope climbers too.
Atb
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:10:21 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
I've never seen a horse drawn mower before. Fascinating.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
I've never seen a horse drawn mower before. Fascinating.

I have never seen one that small pulled by a horse but I have seen gang mowers in use at Brora as late as the early 80's. Greens mowers were often pulled by a youth with a rope whilst the greenkeeper pushed and steered. This is one of the main reasons for so many square greens as it is difficult to pulled round a curve.

Jon

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »

Happy Hockey

The Fifth!
F.

The course looks so much better to play without all the gorse.

Funny, I am trying to get up to Dornoch this year for the first time while the gorse is blooming.  My initial trip to Bandon was during the full bloom and the course was gorgeous.  I don't find the gorse at Dornoch to be that encroaching save for the LS of #3.  Ditto perhaps to a lesser degree at Bandon, but gorse and links golf for me are intertwined.   

Sam Andrews

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
Agree it looks pretty when the bloom is out but I said it looks so much better TO PLAY. Different lines to be taken etc. The gorse is getting pretty dominant on certain holes.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
Thomas,

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Based on my limited knowledge of the course, and in the absence of the much missed Rich Goodale who knew far more than anyone else I met on the history of Dornoch, I've tried to assess where and when the photos are as follows:
Photo 1: Looks like 1st tee, with old clubhouse to the left. This was replaced in 1909 (by what has become the current clubhouse) but I think from some historic photos the old probably remained in place for a while.
Photo 2: I think this is the 1st green looking back towards town. Cant see the new clubhouse I don’t think, so pre 1909.
Photo 3: The timber faced bunker on the old 18th green (now putting green), with new clubhouse behind, so between 1909 and 1948.
Photo 4:
Photo 5: Looks like the 5th hole, with current 6th behind and path going up to the 7th tee. The 5th as we know it was also the 5th between 1906 and 1948, though this photo would be after that. The 1906 to 1948 layout played out to the 5th, 6th then played to what is now the 11th and then returned back down what is now the 12th.
Photo 6:             
Photo 7: Looks like the 5th green with old 6th in background (now 11th green) so between 1906 and 1948.
Photo 8: Old 18th with new clubhouse on left (so its after 1909) and the timber faced bunker seen in photo 3 across its front.
Photo 9: Assumed to be the 3rd as described.
Photo 10: Looks like the old 17th, with old 18th in background (see photo 8) but it’s the old clubhouse and no sign of the new one, so pre 1909.
If anyone spots any errors let me know.
Cheers,
James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Thomas Dai

Re: Royal Dornoch as it once was - photos New
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »
Thanks for these details James. They make things a bit clearer.
Atb

Below - later edit - the original 17th
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:31:38 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back