News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: "Getting to Eighteen" by Tom Doak
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2020, 07:17:53 AM »
Bump ...

Has the public health problem set back the book's release?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
Maybe by a few days. 

Between fixing typos and working out the logistics of getting books delivered from Canada - the printer is just across the border - we anticipate having them in Traverse City the first week of June.

From there, I have to sign and number them before they are shipped.  But you'll have it by Father's Day, for sure.

John Emerson

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »

Tom, how do we fellow “musicians” sign up for your book?

Joe:

I'm going to set aside 100 books for people in our industry to buy at a much-reduced rate - as long as they promise not to re-sell it.

Anyone interested in that deal should write a letter to my office address - 530 E Eighth St, Traverse City, MI 49686.  Offer applies only to those who send me a letter prior to publication.

Individuals who were directly involved in those 18 projects may qualify for a free copy.

Tom,
Does “industry” strictly mean architects, or is that anyone in the turf industry?  Ie: supers?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Will Lozier

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Tom,

Are there pics of the land as it was before construction, as you were considering routing options?  That would be most interesting to see how holes looked when you first envisioned them, first set foot on a "tee".  Or even holes that didn't make it!

Cheers,
Will

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »

Are there pics of the land as it was before construction, as you were considering routing options?  That would be most interesting to see how holes looked when you first envisioned them, first set foot on a "tee".  Or even holes that didn't make it!

Will:

There is some of everything.

For Pacific Dunes, for instance, there are three routings at different stages of the process [so you can see what survived from my original look at the map through to the end].  There's a picture I took from the 13th tee the first time I set foot on it, with Jim Urbina in his red jacket out in the landing area -- and the cover of the book is the site for the 16th green, the first day the rest of my crew got to see it.  But most of the photos are of the finished course, not during construction.

There are a couple of before-during-after spreads . . . the 7th at Barnbougle is one of them.

There are not too many photos of holes we didn't build, because often they are covered with trees or gorse, and it's very hard to understand the scale of them without a fairway clearing or a flag or some golfers.  But I did do two pages on the "hanging gardens" hole at Cape Kidnappers which we were going to build, and eventually decided not to.  I recommend not looking at that one if you are scared of heights!  :D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »

Tom, how do we fellow “musicians” sign up for your book?

Tom,
Does “industry” strictly mean architects, or is that anyone in the turf industry?  Ie: supers?

John:

I've done a lot of thinking about this over the last month or so, and here's the policy I've come up with.

1000 books are being sold at retail.
  100 are being set aside by me for future gifts [or so my kids can sell them in thirty years]
[size=78%]  [/size]100 are [free] gifts to the people involved in the courses covered, and in making the book
  300 will be sold at half price to people in my contacts list and in the industry generally

If you want to be on the last list, send me an email with your particulars, and don't dawdle if you get an email with the discount code in 2-3 weeks . . . there are 900 people in my contacts list and I expect the discount pile will disappear pretty quickly.

One final option is that typically, there is an overrun when they print books . . . but this is a limited edition of 1500, so I've been trying to sort out what to do with any remainder.  I'm trying to figure out a way to sell them off and raise $$$ for charity.  If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, please DM me.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2020, 01:22:30 PM »
In the spirit of TD books...

I have an extra copy of The Anatomy of a Golf Course, free to a good home and preferably to one who wants to introduce golf course architecture to a friend or family member.

DM if you are interested!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
I believe I've got a shipping notification (FedEx) and my copy of the book should arrive in about four days.

Tom's Instagram post with the books on pallets: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBjzOUPl-lq/

The package from FedEx weighs 8 pounds.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
As usual, I guess Whitaker is at the back of the alphabetical list of shipments.  :'(
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam G

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »
Tom said on instagram they are going by order number.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »

I’m kinda curious what I was. I’ll know Monday I guess.

Oops, I accidentally edited my post instead of quoting it. Derp.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:54:56 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »

I ordered 4 hours after the email arrived to me and haven't received shipping notice, but in today's world I suppose 4 hours after the fact could put me well down the list. Looking forward to it whenever it arrives!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
As usual, I guess Whitaker is at the back of the alphabetical list of shipments.  :'(

Right ahead of Duran, I suppose.  But I have a half dozen books to read ahead of it.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »

84/1500.

The email confirmation of my order was December 20, 2019 at 3:11pm (eastern).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »

84/1500.

The email confirmation of my order was December 20, 2019 at 3:11pm (eastern).

I saved numbers 1-50 for associates, clients, mentors, etc.  So yours was likely the 34th order after the launch.

After that, I kept out 25 out of every 100 for the other people on my personal list.  It was the best compromise I could come up with.

The international orders take longer to prepare, so we got a bunch of the U.S. orders out the door first.  To make sure I didn't duplicate numbers, the book numbers are more or less in the order we are packaging them up -- so, most of the international orders are numbered something in the 300's.

Honestly, book #1500 will have all the same cool stuff as book #84.  Look forward to your reaction to the material.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2020, 10:45:16 PM »
I saved numbers 1-50 for associates, clients, mentors, etc.  So yours was likely the 34th order after the launch.

After that, I kept out 25 out of every 100 for the other people on my personal list.  It was the best compromise I could come up with.
Thanks.

Honestly, book #1500 will have all the same cool stuff as book #84.  Look forward to your reaction to the material.
Yeah, I'm eager to get into it. It might be awhile on this end - aside from a flip through tonight (I was surprised at how big the book was, in a very good way) it might be a few days or weeks. I'm excited to see the feedback and reactions of others as well.

It's a nice coffee table book - if your coffee table is broken, this one is about as large as a coffee table so you can just use it temporarily before visiting IKEA for a replacement. ;)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Joe Bausch

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
Mine arriving on Thursday.  Really looking forward to it!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 12:58:39 PM »
Arrived last night, went right to the Stonewall pages.  Even my wife liked the photography.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Peter Flory

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
The whole book is a great inside look and there is a lot of honesty in it regarding the ideas contributed by others.  The chapters at the end of the book are really interesting as well, projects that didn't happen.  For those of us who are fascinated by lost courses, this is a related genre- courses that were never born, either because the whole project died or because another architect got the job.

Peter Flory

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2020, 01:28:45 PM »
Arrived last night, went right to the Stonewall pages.  Even my wife liked the photography.

The Stonewall pic with the stormy sky is really striking. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2020, 09:06:39 PM »

That picture (and nost of the Stonewall photos) was from Jon Cavalier, who is also a Stonewall member.

I was very fortunate to collect photos from the who's who of golf photographers for this book - lots of great stuff and then a bit of my own, for contrast!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »

i have an almost identical pic from an event i was working.   great look.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Peter Flory

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
I love the SAB pic on pages 186-187 as well (Cussell).  Soothing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
I love the SAB pic on pages 186-187 as well (Cussell).  Soothing.

That's one of my favorite photos, too -- as you could probably guess by my putting it across two pages!

Henry was the director of golf for St. Andrews Beach when it opened.  I've been trying to find a contact for him to send him a copy of the book.  Does anyone know where he is?  I thought I had a good email for him, but no response.

Peter Flory

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
Looks like he is the operations manager at Albert Park GC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back