News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul OConnor

Golf's Greatest Bunkers
« on: November 27, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
From Links Magazine article:
https://www.linksmagazine.com/golfs-greatest-bunkers/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=insider11.24

Check out the last two pics, the 4th at Barnboogle and the 6th at St. Enodoc.  I haven't played Barnboogle, but these two holes sure look a lot alike.
Hard to believe, that an entire planet apart, that both these holes were created solely by the forces of nature. 

Ian Andrew

Re: Golf's Greatest Bunkers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
The 4th at Barnbougle Dunes is my favorite dance partner.

All you see is "possibility and reward" from the tee ... so pretty ... so compelling
Until you find the bunker and all you receive is misery

"Well I won't do that again."

But after a few plays, you still know what's waiting for you if I can make the carry "this time" ...
and so the dance continues ... drawn in by possibilities ...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:12:12 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
You could put a couple different examples from Ganton GC on there for sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
From Links Magazine article:
https://www.linksmagazine.com/golfs-greatest-bunkers/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=insider11.24

Check out the last two pics, the 4th at Barnboogle and the 6th at St. Enodoc.  I haven't played Barnboogle, but these two holes sure look a lot alike.
Hard to believe, that an entire planet apart, that both these holes were created solely by the forces of nature.

When I first saw the bunker at St. Enodoc in 1982, there was no top line to it, it was just sand blow-out all the way to the top.  It was the coolest feature I had ever seen on a golf course.  Of course, that also meant that the dune was slowly eroding away from the wind, so at some point they decided they had to rein it in - understandably, but I hate how it looks now.

The bunker at Barnbougle was scraped out by us, but the last time I saw it, it was three feet deeper than when we built it, and judging from the maintenance regime at Pacific Dunes, I'd guess they have put sand back into it more than once.   The forces of nature should not be underestimated!  :D

Craig Disher

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »

When I first saw the bunker at St. Enodoc in 1982, there was no top line to it, it was just sand blow-out all the way to the top.  It was the coolest feature I had ever seen on a golf course.  Of course, that also meant that the dune was slowly eroding away from the wind, so at some point they decided they had to rein it in - understandably, but I hate how it looks now.
The club does too. There are plans to recreate the original natural appearance.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »
In the distance the famous St Enodoc bunker as once seen (colour added to original b&w photos). Circa the early 1920's perhaps?
atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
Times change.
Which do you prefer?
atb

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:19:53 PM by Thomas Dai »

Jim Hoak

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »
Could Hell’s Half Acre on #7 at Pine Valley be considered a bunker?  Probably not, but spectacular.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »

The club does too. There are plans to recreate the original natural appearance.

Good to hear.  I wrote a master plan for them, recommending that, but they don't stay in touch with me about what they are doing or not doing.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
How about the bunker on the 6th at Lahinch. You could trap elephants in that one.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 07:58:47 PM »
The cross bunker on # 4 at Bethpage Black

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 10:54:26 PM »
Forrest and I had a blast with this topic for our Bunkers book published back in 2006.  We had a large group of well traveled and knowledgeable golfers/architects/writers vote and came up with a fun list.  We even did drawings of each of the top 20 hazards as well as commentary about their origins.  Of course the best part was traveling the world to visit them all for first hand experience.  The book is now 13 years old so the list needs some updating but most of you will recognize all the ones noted.  Quite a few of you contributed to the voting.  And we did list Hell’s Halve Acre in the top 20  :)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:18 PM »
Forrest and I had a blast with this topic for our Bunkers book published back in 2006.  We had a large group of well traveled and knowledgeable golfers/architects/writers vote and came up with a fun list.  We even did drawings of each of the top 20 hazards as well as commentary about their origins.  Of course the best part was traveling the world to visit them all for first hand experience.  The book is now 13 years old so the list needs some updating but most of you will recognize all the ones noted.  Quite a few of you contributed to the voting.  And we did list Hell’s Halve Acre in the top 20  :)

Only 10 left on Amazon, all over $80

Mark_Fine

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
Pete,
I wish the book was cheaper but that was not our call.  Our publisher John Wiley & Sons sets the price.  The first two printings sold out but they will print copies if requested on demand.  I guess the new way of printing allows them to do this.  Forrest and I had fun writing the book. 
Mark

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 01:10:34 AM »

Mark,
I've had my copy for years. Just surprised at the price. Best compilation of bunker pictures along with the basement at Bandon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back