News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: GCA Get-Together 2020 Pittsburgh
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2021, 07:31:40 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

astavrides

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:53 PM »
Paul Rudovsky posted today that Bob O'Connor/Schenley Park is being rebuilt. The "Arnold Palmer Learning Center" (under construction) looks impressive, but I wish the old clubhouse could have been saved. Anybody have info about changes to the course?

The place has a new website: http://thebobgc.com

Recent newsletters were no help. 

I was a little sad (since I played there a lot as a kid and had a lot of good times there) to see that they seem to be turning it into a 9 holer. GCA's Ryan Farrow maybe getting a redesign credit. I'm sure it'll be much better that way, but it won't be a nostalgic museum piece for me anymore.
https://clubandresortbusiness.com/transformation-plans-for-pittsburghs-the-bob-revealed/

Jim Sherma

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2021, 11:08:48 PM »
I was hoping that this was a suggestion to have a 2021 Pittsburg gathering.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2021, 11:27:00 PM »
Me Too

Greg Hohman

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 03:18:29 PM »
Thank you for the link to the new plan, astavrides. It looks as if the mounds on 11 (and 12?), which looked original to me, can be retained on the new seven (and eight). Another museum piece, the low wall on 18, would appear to be a goner, unless it is kept as an ornament of the past. As someone more familiar with the course, you will have a better grasp of what else might be preserved.
newmonumentsgc.com

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
was there for 2 years (9/66-6/68) for grad school and played lots at Schenley, North Park and South Park.

a semi-hidden gem about an hour east is Sunnehanna GC...simply outstanding (86 miles and 1:45 from PIT airport)

Jim Sherma

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2021, 10:42:21 PM »

Not sure Sunnehanna is hidden. It is a great set of greens regardless.

was there for 2 years (9/66-6/68) for grad school and played lots at Schenley, North Park and South Park.

a semi-hidden gem about an hour east is Sunnehanna GC...simply outstanding (86 miles and 1:45 from PIT airport)

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2021, 06:12:15 AM »

Not sure Sunnehanna is hidden. It is a great set of greens regardless.

I was aware of Sunnehanna long before I played it as a result of the reputation of the Invitational tournament.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:19 AM »
Paul Rudovsky posted today that Bob O'Connor/Schenley Park is being rebuilt. The "Arnold Palmer Learning Center" (under construction) looks impressive, but I wish the old clubhouse could have been saved. Anybody have info about changes to the course?

The place has a new website: http://thebobgc.com

Recent newsletters were no help. 

I was a little sad (since I played there a lot as a kid and had a lot of good times there) to see that they seem to be turning it into a 9 holer. GCA's Ryan Farrow maybe getting a redesign credit. I'm sure it'll be much better that way, but it won't be a nostalgic museum piece for me anymore.
https://clubandresortbusiness.com/transformation-plans-for-pittsburghs-the-bob-revealed/

They did look into restoring the old clubhouse but it was in too bad of shape, it had about 3 additions over the years and the foundation was starting to sink, pipes were leaking, and most of the space was unusable. It was the correct decision although I would have liked to see something a little less modern. The stately Pittsburgh Golf Club clubhouse is still standing, so at least a piece of the golf course's history will still be there to admire.

I first tried to get involved with some kind of course renovation about 6 or 7 years ago. I presented a 9 hole plan to councilman  Corey O'Connor, the son of late Pittsburgh Mayor Bob O'connor after seeing a few articles in the local paper about the need to create a safer, more playable, walkable golf course. They were also looking for some kind of driving range or practice facility on the property but to do a 9 hole course and full driving range was not feasible without surrounding it with nets.  The idea simmered for a number of years and was revitalised when The First Tee raised a bunch of money to rebuild the clubhouse.

A recent push to improve the course happened about 2 years ago and I worked with the organization to help develop some more options that would better suited to their mission as a learning facility. We worked toward a 9 hole option on the southern end of the property, a challenging 35 acres surrounded by roads to the North, South, and East. The northern section of about 15 acres would be used as par 3 course / practice area and putting course for The First Tee.

I'm still not entirely sure what happened over the past 10 months, but I have officially resigned from the project and not sure of the latest developments, I volunteered all of my time during the 7 year stretch trying to reach a consensus on a design, but we just couldn't get to any kind of agreement. It was made more challenging when another architect was introduced.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, went to high school down the street (this was our golf team's home course) and worked on the maintenance crew at Chartiers and Oakmont (returning about 10 years later to Oakmont and restoring the 6th hole with Bill and Ben and Dave). This project meant a lot to me and it was hard to walk away, my only hope is that something special can be built here. 

astavrides

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the report, Ryan.
Sorry it didn't work out after all the effort you put in.
Did you go to Central? 'Dice? I think I'm a good bit older than you, so we probably don't know people in common.
Favorite holes on the existing course? I liked 1,4,5,10,11,14, and 16.  I only played it a couple couple times as an adult.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:14:15 PM by astavrides »

astavrides

Re: GCA Get-Together 2020 Pittsburgh New
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2024, 03:15:03 PM »
Looks like Bob O'Connor Golf Course at Schenley Park (fka Schenley Park GC) is indeed 9 holes these days, with a less ambitious reroute compared to Ryan Farrow's plan posted earlier.

Indeed, it is a loss of a unique course, but probably a better use of the land.

Looks like they played the original 18 hole layout in the city championship this year though.

https://www.thebobgc.com/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 08:24:58 AM by astavrides »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2024, 12:19:38 AM »
Larger post helps:https://www.thebobgc.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back