News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: Flynn’s top 6 in Philly might be the best in an area by one designer.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »
 I think that in some ways the Philly Flynn 6 suffer from comparisons between them. If one could stand apart it would be top 25/30 and then the others would be pulled up.

I played WFW and Fenway and think each of the Flynns are more fun and challenging. WFW may be more punishing but not as challenging or fun. Fenway is a nice members course and more modest than the FP6.
AKA Mayday

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
WFW, BPB & QR are too hard for most on a daily basis. I don’t think that applies to the Flynn courses. Although a term that gets used often I think the Flynn courses are more playable as a collection.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:56:49 PM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
Once you get past the likes of Sunny New, Swinley, St Georges Hill and Sunny Old (halfish Colt?), the quality of the London area courses drops a bit....especially since Wentworth West is now a very much diluted Colt.  I spose you are looking at Wentworth East, Camberley, Blackmoor, Tandridge, Royal Wimbledon and maybe a few others as candidates to fill out sheet.  I spose much depends on how highly one thinks of the top echelon courses.  Colts's top courses around London are legitimate top 100 world contenders.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Eric LeFante

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »

Nearly all of the Flynn courses have five par-3 holes, and there are only a couple out of 29 or 30 that seem like repeats.  Either of the two front-nine par-3 holes at Winged Foot West would be a castoff at Rolling Green or Manufacturers or Lancaster.

This is quite the statement. I was under the impression that many viewed the 8 par 3s at Winged Foot as the best 8 on one piece of property anywhere (including Ran in his original Winged Foot profile)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:16:46 PM by Eric LeFante »

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
 I heard a story about number 3 at WFW that Billy Casper laid up each day of the US Open rather than take on the well bunkered green. I see that as an indictment of the architecture of the hole.

The 14th at Rolling Green is a par three that allows a hook, a fade, a straight shot or even a layup. I don’t think WFW has a par three near it. Number 10 at WFW was one I liked. I’m not sure if I like it more than 10 at RG.

3 at Lehigh,8 at Lancaster, 15 Philly 11 at Manny’s are other threes that would challenge any at WFW.
AKA Mayday

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 10:28:34 PM »
Not 6, but William Watson is responsible for Interlachen, Minikahda, and WBYC all in the Twin Cities. A pretty good trifecta for a smaller market.
H.P.S.

David_Elvins

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
Carnoustie
Muirfield
St Andrews Old
North Berwick
St Andrews New
Montrose

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
I heard a story about number 3 at WFW that Billy Casper laid up each day of the US Open rather than take on the well bunkered green. I see that as an indictment of the architecture of the hole.

The 14th at Rolling Green is a par three that allows a hook, a fade, a straight shot or even a layup. I don’t think WFW has a par three near it. Number 10 at WFW was one I liked. I’m not sure if I like it more than 10 at RG.

Mayday,

I would beg to differ. Casper laid up, because #3 at WFW was round-killer very early on the card.

At 192-243yds, "Pinnacle's" extensive bunkering and sloped green contours left very little room for any margin of error. Like anything at Rolling Green, it most certainly allows for any style of play, but slightly favors a fade. Casper exercised shrewd judgement in laying up, especially in light of the severity of US Open style grooming.

I take a little issue with Tom's statement either of the 2 front-nine par-3 holes "would be a castoff at Rolling Green, Manufacturers, or Lancaster." No doubt all three of those courses have wonderful sets of one-shotters, but I hardy think the terror of #3, or the demand on short precision on #7 would be castoffs anywhere, save for a Somerset Hills, Cypress Point, or a RMGC.

Lastly, although there is some question of derivative attribution, I'd offer that the examples of McKenzie-related architecture found on Melbourne's Sandbelt handily eclipse Philly's sextet....similar to the results of the last two Eagles games!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V_Halyard

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »

Tim

It appears you confirm the sanctity of the Golfweek rankings...If true, Flynn/Philly is not even close to NYC/Tilly.  I would be willing to listen to Mike Malone/Tom Doak argument as I find the Tilly courses over-rated relative to other classic course I have played but

What is wrong with the Golfweek list?  Which courses in the top 100 Golfweek list should be replaced by the Phily courses?

It has to be some or the original argument is a little hard to justify.
Ratings can be a foggy numbers conundrum. In some cases, the clubs really don’t care and are don’t actively seek, nor accept raters visits. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:50:14 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
Flynn also designed the 11th at Shinnecock which may be the penultimate short par three on the planet.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »

Mayday,

I would beg to differ. Casper laid up, because #3 at WFW was round-killer very early on the card.

At 192-243yds, "Pinnacle's" extensive bunkering and sloped green contours left very little room for any margin of error. Like anything at Rolling Green, it most certainly allows for any style of play, but slightly favors a fade. Casper exercised shrewd judgement in laying up, especially in light of the severity of US Open style grooming.

I take a little issue with Tom's statement either of the 2 front-nine par-3 holes "would be a castoff at Rolling Green, Manufacturers, or Lancaster." No doubt all three of those courses have wonderful sets of one-shotters, but I hardy think the terror of #3, or the demand on short precision on #7 would be castoffs anywhere, save for a Somerset Hills, Cypress Point, or a RMGC.

Lastly, although there is some question of derivative attribution, I'd offer that the examples of McKenzie-related architecture found on Melbourne's Sandbelt handily eclipse Philly's sextet....similar to the results of the last two Eagles games!

Steve,

I just want you to remember the Eagles win in the Super Bowl and the bet you made.
AKA Mayday

Ira Fishman

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
I do not have a dog in this fight given that I live in golf poor DC. But it is raining here so I whiled away some time by checking the Confidential Guide.

The Philadelphia 6 average 6.72.
WFW, WFE, Quaker Ridge, Fenway, Ridgewood, and BPB average 7.3.
Essex, Wannamoisett, Whitinsville, Salem, Winchester, and Charles River average 6.94.

Tillinghast would be even higher if one substitutes Somerset for Fenway or WFE.

Ira

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »
Once you get past the likes of Sunny New, Swinley, St Georges Hill and Sunny Old (halfish Colt?), the quality of the London area courses drops a bit....especially since Wentworth West is now a very much diluted Colt.  I spose you are looking at Wentworth East, Camberley, Blackmoor, Tandridge, Royal Wimbledon and maybe a few others as candidates to fill out sheet.  I spose much depends on how highly one thinks of the top echelon courses.  Colts's top courses around London are legitimate top 100 world contenders.

Happy Hockey

Yes, I forgot for a minute how many of the great London courses are NOT Colt's.  Even so, Wentworth and Camberley Heath as your fifth and sixth best courses within twenty miles of each other is pretty impressive.

mike_malone

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
 One thing that a friend of mine told me is that this topic would show that only the titans of golf architecture are noted as alternatives to Flynn.
 I have proved my point that he is among the greatest of all time.
AKA Mayday

Ira Fishman

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 12:39:26 PM »
One thing that a friend of mine told me is that this topic would show that only the titans of golf architecture are noted as alternatives to Flynn.

I don’t think that fact was ever in doubt. Add Shinnecock, Cascades, Cherry Hills, Atlantic City, Indian Creek, Pepper Pike, Kittansett, and the Country Club to his Philadelphia work, you have a rich and impressive body of work.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »
I do not have a dog in this fight given that I live in golf poor DC. But it is raining here so I whiled away some time by checking the Confidential Guide.

The Philadelphia 6 average 6.72.
WFW, WFE, Quaker Ridge, Fenway, Ridgewood, and BPB average 7.3.
Essex, Wannamoisett, Whitinsville, Salem, Winchester, and Charles River average 6.94.

Tillinghast would be even higher if one substitutes Somerset for Fenway or WFE.

Ira

Ira-I have no dog in the fight either but think that Wannamoisett is outside the original parameters set by Mayday for Boston. There are enough Ross courses in Rhode Island alone for a pretty good list.

Wannamoisett CC
Metacomet GC
Rhode Island CC
Sakonnet GC
Warwick CC
Misquamicut Club

MCirba

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Tim,

It's a little known fact that most of Metacomet is Willie Park, Jr.

Misquamicut is a potpourri with probably as much Raynor and Bendelow as Ross and even a little Park Jr. thrown in the mix.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »

That doesn't necessarily follow.

Flynn built most of his courses in a fairly small region, like many but not all of the architects of his day.  (MacKenzie, Simpson, and Alison are just a few of those who had to work much further afield instead of in a concentrated area.)  Likewise, due to the way modern courses are marketed, few of the best modern designers do a lot of work in the same region.

JESII

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
Fascinating to me that this is a conversation...

I'll admit to quite a heavy Flynn/Philadelphia bias but this possibility seemed a great stretch...until Tom brought up the distinction of the terrain.

One thing I'll say, the least desirable two courses for me to se next would be Baltusrol Lower and Bethpage Black.

I also suspect Somerset Hills would need to be on the list for Tilly/NY.

JESII

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
I suspect Mayday is simply commenting on the view that Flynn is underrated in the pantheon of your profession...not the regional concentration of work.

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
Tim,

It's a little known fact that most of Metacomet is Willie Park, Jr.

Misquamicut is a potpourri with probably as much Raynor and Bendelow as Ross and even a little Park Jr. thrown in the mix.

Mike-I think that Bret Lawrence told me Park Jr. was involved at Metacomet. I agree that credit could be shared on Misquamicut and I am fascinated with the idea that despite his penchant for such holes Ross did not design the par three 8th “Volcano”. Both courses have Ross listed as the architect of record on their scorecards and websites with Metacomet going into quite a bit of detail about Ross. I can offer up the trio of Triggs Memorial, Winnepaug and Agawam Hunt Club all in Rhode Island but not in the same league as the two in question.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:25:31 PM by Tim Martin »

MCirba

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
Understood Tim, thanks.

I don't think Park's role at Metacomet was very well understood until recently but most of the routing was there prior to Ross.  I think it would be best described that Ross did refinements.

At Misquamicut there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen over the years and I think Ross definitely deserves credit for pulling all those strings together into a cohesive routing but a lot of the individual holes and greens belong to other prior architects.

Donald Ross on a scorecard definitely has more cache and member attraction then does Willie Park in the United States.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 05:50:15 AM »

Mayday,

Steve,

I just want you to remember the Eagles win in the Super Bowl and the bet you made.

How many bets did he make!?  ;D
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 05:52:24 AM »
Flynn also designed the 11th at Shinnecock which may be the penultimate short par three on the planet.

Does that make the 7th there the antepenultimate?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back