News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

OT; Sort of; Code of Conduct
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Well, I finally read the new rules. The Code of Conduct addition seems interesting. From treatment of the course, to treatment of fellow competitors, this seems like a great way to hand out penalties for unacceptable behavior.

What's weird, is that besides the mention of the Code of Conduct, and the possibility of adding one to your tournament, I couldn't find any examples or suggestions for such conduct.

Are there any?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete_Pittock

Re: OT; Sort of; Code of Conduct
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
1.2a/1 - Meaning of Serious MisconductThe phrase “serious misconduct” in Rule 1.2a is intended to cover player misconduct that is so far removed from the expected norm in golf that the most severe sanction of removing a player from the competition is justified. This includes dishonesty, deliberately interfering with another player’s rights, or endangering the safety of others.         
The Committee must determine if the misconduct is serious considering all the circumstances. Even f the Committee determines that the misconduct is serious, it may take the view that it is more appropriate to warn the player that a repeat of the misconduct or similar misconduct will result in disqualification, instead of disqualifying him or her in the first instance.         
Examples of actions by a player that are likely to be considered serious misconduct include:         
  • Deliberately causing serious damage to a putting green               
  • Disagreeing with the course setup and taking it on himself or herself to move tee-markers or boundary stakes.           Throwing a club towards another player or spectator.
  • Deliberately distracting other players while they are making strokes.               
  • Removing loose impediments or movable obstructions to disadvantage another player after that other player has asked him or her to leave them in place.               
  • Repeatedly refusing to lift a ball at rest when it interferes with another player in stroke play.               
  • Deliberately playing away from the hole and then towards the hole to assist the player’s partner learn the break on the putting green.               
  • Deliberately not playing in accordance with the Rules and potentially gaining a significant  advantage by doing so, despite incurring a penalty for a breach of the relevant Rule.               
  • Repeatedly using vulgar or offensive language.
  • Using a handicap that has been established for the purpose of providing an unfair dvantage or using the round to establish such a handicap.               
Examples of actions by a player that, although involving misconduct, are unlikely to be considered serious misconduct include:         
  • Slamming a club to the ground, damaging the club and causing minor damage to the turf.
  • Throwing a club towards a golf bag that unintentionally hits another person.
  • Carelessly distracting another player making a stroke           
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:17:49 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

It took a while to edit the previous entry, it is now much more readable than 10 minutes ago. Usually each golf course has a code of conduct, dress etc. State organizations, particularly junior golf usually have codes. College golf has them, and the smaller school conferences are usually both more exacting and enforced.  General topics may include swearing, playing music heard by others, urinating in public, entering prohibited (environmental) areas.

The big difference for 2019 is the ability to disqualify under the rules of golf, or applying one stroke penalies or general (two stroke) penalties, by bringing codes of conduct into the Rules.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:43:49 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 02:27:01 AM »
So to apply this example.  Would Sergio's bunker pouting in Jeddah have been grounds for disqualification? Or even the open throwing his driver at his caddie? 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »

So to apply this example.  Would Sergio's bunker pouting in Jeddah have been grounds for disqualification? Or even the open throwing his driver at his caddie?
It would depend on the circumstances of the code of conduct of the Committee.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:25:12 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Bio Kim - 3 year ban?
Sergio would have got double that for his bunker efforts and more again for the green scuffing.

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
Throwing a club towards a golf bag that unintentionally hits another person
[/size][/color]
[/size]The JC Snead rule.  [/color]
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »

It would depend on the circumstances of the code of conduct of the Committee.

I would think that we can almost call this the Sergio rule, discipline for violent reactionary instances that cause harm to the course or others.  Not to mention conduct unbecoming of a golfer (just made that up, but applicable IMO).
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
1.2a/1 - Meaning of Serious MisconductThe phrase “serious misconduct” in Rule 1.2a is intended to cover player misconduct that is so far removed from the expected norm in golf that the most severe sanction of removing a player from the competition is justified. This includes dishonesty, deliberately interfering with another player’s rights, or endangering the safety of others.         
The Committee must determine if the misconduct is serious considering all the circumstances. Even f the Committee determines that the misconduct is serious, it may take the view that it is more appropriate to warn the player that a repeat of the misconduct or similar misconduct will result in disqualification, instead of disqualifying him or her in the first instance.         
Examples of actions by a player that are likely to be considered serious misconduct include:         
  • Deliberately causing serious damage to a putting green               
  • Disagreeing with the course setup and taking it on himself or herself to move tee-markers or boundary stakes.           Throwing a club towards another player or spectator.
  • Deliberately distracting other players while they are making strokes.               
  • Removing loose impediments or movable obstructions to disadvantage another player after that other player has asked him or her to leave them in place.               
  • Repeatedly refusing to lift a ball at rest when it interferes with another player in stroke play.               
  • Deliberately playing away from the hole and then towards the hole to assist the player’s partner learn the break on the putting green.               
  • Deliberately not playing in accordance with the Rules and potentially gaining a significant  advantage by doing so, despite incurring a penalty for a breach of the relevant Rule.               
  • Repeatedly using vulgar or offensive language.
  • Using a handicap that has been established for the purpose of providing an unfair dvantage or using the round to establish such a handicap.               
Examples of actions by a player that, although involving misconduct, are unlikely to be considered serious misconduct include:         
  • Slamming a club to the ground, damaging the club and causing minor damage to the turf.
  • Throwing a club towards a golf bag that unintentionally hits another person.
  • Carelessly distracting another player making a stroke           

It boggles my mind that they would even try to list examples of serious misconduct.
Aren't these limitless?
Why don't we add stabbing an opponent with a broken club or blatantly acting out fantasies on a fellow competitor's wife...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »

Why don't we add stabbing an opponent with a broken club or blatantly acting out fantasies on a fellow competitor's wife...
That was funny!   ;D Thanks Jeff
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 01:58:51 PM »
Thank You Peter.

If I'm understanding the rule correctly, a committee can alter this example to include any other infraction they deem necessary ?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »

Adam
I think as long as it is justified.  In the realm of "I know it, when I see it".  Thinking about the potential results of chewing tobacco or sunflower seeds?
Jeff W,
Make believe you are a referee :) Something happens and you get called in. The player says: "give me an example".  I would guess that many matriculated from somewhere in the old rules decisions. I'm pretty sure your examples are covered under other codes that supersede golf :D

By the way, I worked my final event last week and any expertise will slowly wash away.

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »

I found the comment below to be the most startling. Looking at some if not most of the examples why would you give anyone a second chance ? Suggesting that you might just gives wriggle room for some idiot to try and justify there favourite players behaviour. As an aside, I had to laugh at the urinating and swearing on a golf course. At many of the courses I've played at, including some of the more prestigious, there would be no one left playing after 6 or 7 holes.

Even f the Committee determines that the misconduct is serious, it may take the view that it is more appropriate to warn the player that a repeat of the misconduct or similar misconduct will result in disqualification, instead of disqualifying him or her in the first instance.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
They won't even enforce pace of play rules most of the time, which are less subjective.  I wouldn't expect them to enforce these at the top levels either...

I mean the vulgar/offensive language stipulation?  Are they gonna kick Tiger out a tournament, heaven forbid one he's leading, when he drops a few F bombs...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »

I found the comment below to be the most startling. Looking at some if not most of the examples why would you give anyone a second chance ? Suggesting that you might just gives wriggle room for some idiot to try and justify there favourite players behaviour. As an aside, I had to laugh at the urinating and swearing on a golf course. At many of the courses I've played at, including some of the more prestigious, there would be no one left playing after 6 or 7 holes.

Even f the Committee determines that the misconduct is serious, it may take the view that it is more appropriate to warn the player that a repeat of the misconduct or similar misconduct will result in disqualification, instead of disqualifying him or her in the first instance.

Niall

Worked a college  tournament where one of the players had Tourettes presenting with coprolalia. Opposing coaches wanted him DQd.  Also at a tournament with two female officials who had to witness the other activity mentioned, repeatedly.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
Pete

I was really thinking about normal play. I'm not really too concerned about big competitions to be honest. I for one can be quite inventive with my language, and so do most of the guys I play with. As for urinating on the course, at my age it's a rare round that I get round without having to have a leak, and the vast majority of courses over here don't have an on course toilet.

In fact the major complaint about the recent splendid work done down at Gailes in removing all the gorse and trees came from the older members. They now have nowhere to go for a piss.

Niall

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
Pete

I was really thinking about normal play. I'm not really too concerned about big competitions to be honest. I for one can be quite inventive with my language, and so do most of the guys I play with. As for urinating on the course, at my age it's a rare round that I get round without having to have a leak, and the vast majority of courses over here don't have an on course toilet.

In fact the major complaint about the recent splendid work done down at Gailes in removing all the gorse and trees came from the older members. They now have nowhere to go for a piss.
Niall

Sounds like Depends has an untouched marketing campaign :D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »
In the finals of a member/guest my drunken opponent jumped on my back and I was unable to continue. No blood, no foul.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
Pete,

Either that or a chance to further encourage fast-play....to get back to the clubhouse!  ;D

P.S. I'm middle aged myself and 3 hours, (much less 4), is a pretty long time period to have to hold it!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 12:09:38 PM »
I mean the vulgar/offensive language stipulation?  Are they gonna kick Tiger out a tournament, heaven forbid one he's leading, when he drops a few F bombs...
Tiger's an adult. College and especially junior tournaments had this type of Code of Conduct in place this summer.

I think the AJGA has had something like it in place for years - the changes to the 2019 Rules just makes everything a bit tidier and "official." Just like USKG and their ten-stroke limit: it's now a more official way to play golf while staying fully under the Rules.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
In college tournaments it might depend on the conference.  Consider how differently a Big 10 and a conference of small religious oriented schools might look at enforcement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back