News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Robin Down New
« on: August 28, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-robin-down/

I first met Mike Dutton during a tour of Maine with Michael Moore a few years back. Mike is a high school golf coach and when school is closed, heads over to the United Kingdom to explore during the summer. When I say ‘explore’, I mean just that as he and his brothers find delight in going down ‘the road less traveled.’ Mike has the distinction of being the only person I know who has played more 9 hole than 18 hole courses in the UK.

Over the winter, Mike strongly recommended Robin Down’s book Golf in the Wild. I bought it, devoured it and it is the focus of this month’s Feature Interview. In fact, Mike spent time with Robin on his most recent UK trip and the smiles on the Brothers Dutton's faces at the end of the Feature Interview convey just how thrilled they are at finding themselves at Robin’s beloved Allendale. No surprise really, as we all yearn for natural, authentic golf experiences.

Mercifully, the days of over-stylized courses that provided - at best - a weak connection to nature seem to be fading. The pinnacle for many of us is to scrimp and save to go to the UK and get bashed about in the elements. The simplicity of the sport there and the uncluttered architecture lift the spirit more than the over-wrought experiences routinely offered in other countries. Robin’s book centers on 9 hole courses as he wanders up from northern England and into Scotland. Along the way, Robin introduces us to courses including Gairloch, Traigh, Innerleithen, Selkirk, and Ullapool. These are the real deal, country, community courses whose rawness and lack of polish are at the heart of their appeal.

Read Robin Down’s Feature Interview and tell me why you wouldn't get his book with the view of intertwining several such courses into your next UK trip?!

With that brief intro, I turn things over to Mike to let him frame this month’s Feature Interview with Robin Down on his gem of a book, Golf in the Wild. I truly thank both Mike and Robin for their efforts here.

Best,

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:20:22 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Mike Dutton

Re: Feature Interview with Robin Down
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
The town of Allendale lies about six and a half miles south of the A69 in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Northumberland, England.  Allendale Golf Club is located an additional two miles further south of town up the hill at Studdon.  Nine holes of lush greenery come with distant views in every direction, farm country all around and a pleasant dose of bucolic isolation.  The car park is empty but for a single motor vehicle, which happens to be a pewter grey 2017 Lotus Elise 220 Sport.  Its owner, Robin Down, author of Golf in the Wild: A Journey Through Time and Place, is our host and I find him alone in the appropriately spartan clubhouse.

Robin’s book is an engaging read that takes us away to those carefree, cowboy moments where the elements of location, light, temperature, and quiet can combine on a golf course or the open road to create joy.  These moments are surely both mental and physical...but if we are lucky, they become even spiritual.  Arcadian courses that just feel right, even when we haven’t brought our A-game.  Roads that keep us wondering what’s around the next bend. 

Reading about Robin’s journey leads us to examine our own...How do we want to spend our time? What do we value? Where do we want to go?  Who do we want to go with us?  And one that I’ve often thought about... What golf courses do I want to play?  We can’t play them all, but from experience, I would suggest that you find your way to some of those in Golf in the Wild.

It has been my pleasure to assist Ran with September’s Feature Interview.  Please feel free to shoot me any comments or questions.  Enjoy your round.

Mike Dutton
Brunswick, Maine
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:41:07 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:42 AM »
Rural and rustic 9-holers run predominantly by volunteer members, wonderful. There are dozens all over the U.K. and reading this interview has reminded me of some I’ve played. The original essence of golf?
If there were a “like” icon on GCA I’d have already clicked on it numerous times.
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »
Rural and rustic 9-holers run predominantly by volunteer members, wonderful. There are dozens all over the U.K. and reading this interview has reminded me of some I’ve played. The original essence of golf?
If there were a “like” icon on GCA I’d have already clicked on it numerous times.
Atb

"Love" icon clicked

Fantastic.What an informative and fascinating interview.
Thanks Ran Mike and Robin!
Some of my favorite places and SOOO many more.
It's not just 12-24 handicaps that like low key rustic simple golf-often in the most fantastic and isolated settings.
Same background at Gairloch for the picture of my wife and son at the end of my interview.
Just ordered my "Golf in The Wild" book.

Off to Aberdeen-Moray myself next week without a "big gun" in the lineup.
A few nine holers in the mix as well.
perfect
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:08:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bernie Bell

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
This book looks fantastic.  Would also love to know some of the Dutton brothers' itineraries.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
What a fun interview. I can't wait to read the book.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jay Mickle

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »
Yet more golf destinations. Sounds like great fun.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »
Would like to hear Jeff Warne’s take on a couple of the 9 holers he just played in Scotland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back