News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Pyper

Any Updates on Newborns?
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
To counter the list of obituaries from Steve's Shaffer's topic, any optimistic news on expected newborns?

How about The Brambles in Napa, Pacific Gales in Oregon or the Buck Club in Utah. Any others of note coming to term?     

Brad Tufts

Re: Any Updates on Newborns?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
I think the newly-renovated Steve Smyers-designed Indiana University course opens this month.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:39:11 PM »
To counter the list of obituaries from Steve's Shaffer's topic, any optimistic news on expected newborns?

How about The Brambles in Napa, Pacific Gales in Oregon or the Buck Club in Utah. Any others of note coming to term?   

Its been nearly 2 years since I took some snaps of Round Valley, (the existing course on TBC site), and its still open.  Maybe Zac can chime in with an update....

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Still no decision yet on Coul Links.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:24:21 PM »

Those projects show you how weak the market is for new golf courses.  Then again, when new projects are out in the public eye before they've started, it's usually because they need money to get off the ground.

Meanwhile, we finally have all the greens planted at Memorial Park in Houston, and hopefully they still have a shot at that November 1 reopening.  Next year is our year for new work.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:10:03 AM »
2 new courses for PGA of America in Frisco, TX.  First one by Hanse underway this fall.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 08:03:17 AM »
Still no decision yet on Coul Links.

David

I don't know if you have been keeping tabs with the planning enquiry process but given the applicant only provided their completed final submission on the 6th August then it will likely be a few months yet before we get a decision. Needless to say the opposition aren't happy as they had submitted their final submissions by the 10th May when they were supposed to.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
Niall -

Yes, I am aware of that. I have been following events at www.coullinksgolf.com.

DT

As noted on another thread, the new King's Club course in Inverness (designed by Stuart Rennie and replacing the Torvean course) has recently opened.

https://golfbusinessnews.com/news/courses/new-kings-course-opens-in-inverness/

I also heard the new nine hole par-3 course at Castle Stuart is "growing in" and will open for play next spring.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
Anyone know anything about Michlifen in Morocco? Dunbarnie in Scotland? Perhaps both are in gestation but haven't seen much discussion on them.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »
Dumbarnie is "set to open" in the spring of 2020:
https://dumbarnielinks.com/dumbarnie-links-set-to-open-in-spring-2020/

Scott Weersing

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
There are several buns in the oven:

Ballyshear, https://www.instagram.com/ballyshear_golf_links/?hl=en

New private course in Nebraska, https://www.instagram.com/p/B09q-GnAuLl/

New course in NY by Tad King and Rob Collins, construction started this month.

Forest Dunes par 3 course, https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zQQS2lGWk/

Cabot Cliffs par 3 course, https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/whitman-and-axland-collaborate-for-new-short-course-at-cabot-links

Dan Hixson design in Roseburg, Oregon, https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAlboCFxrH/

Reed Kemp

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »

Holliday Farms in Zionsville (Northwest Indianapolis area) is under way. 

https://instagram.com/holliday_farms?igshid=1ksvezp8x3u5q

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 01:36:43 AM »
Sterling Grove, a Nicklaus Design, in Surprise. AZ  in the West Valley of Phoenix. Residential community. Late 2020 opening.

www.sterlinggrove.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 05:53:34 AM »

Holliday Farms in Zionsville (Northwest Indianapolis area) is under way. 

https://instagram.com/holliday_farms?igshid=1ksvezp8x3u5q

This makes me smile. I forget what club was proclaiming itself at the last Pete Dye designed golf course about 2 years ago, but Pete is going to be designing/involved in courses until he takes his last breath. Only then will we know what his last design is/was.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »
Gil's new course 18-hole course and 10-hole par-3 course here at Les Bordes in France is well underway. It has been one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on... https://www.instagram.com/lesbordesgolf/ and https://www.instagram.com/propergolf/ for pics.

Also - Don't forget about that Italian Ryder Cup Course!!! ;D ;D ;D

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »
Gil's new course 18-hole course and 10-hole par-3 course here at Les Bordes in France is well underway. It has been one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on... https://www.instagram.com/lesbordesgolf/ and https://www.instagram.com/propergolf/ for pics.

Also - Don't forget about that Italian Ryder Cup Course!!! ;D ;D ;D

The first nine at Marco Simone is finished; the second nine will be done next year.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »
I think the newly-renovated Steve Smyers-designed Indiana University course opens this month.

Are you going to visit? I played the old course numerous times in grad school while at IU. Not a GCA standout layout by any means but it wasn't awful and it was quite inexpensive to play. Hopefully it will still cater to the students and locals!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »

As to Pacific Gales, this is from a 2018 article, which would mean 2021 instead of 2020.

Now Esler is taking a new turn in his bid to finance his $30 million project. He is enlisting well-heeled golfers to invest by joining his Founders Club, at $50,000 each, and has rounded up some 350 interested parties so far. After that, to complete the financing package, he is considering crowdfunding, selling tee times for $199 to anybody willing to "donate."
Such a maneuver would be unique in the world of golf course development, though at least a few groups have used crowdfunding platform GoFundMe to fight construction of a club or try to save those about to go out of business.

"You would be essentially paying forward for your tee time via crowdfunding," says Esler, of St. Charles, who plays to a 1 handicap and has been designing golf courses since he graduated from Ohio State University in 1990 with a degree in landscape architecture. Most of his work has been limited to the restoration of elite private courses around Chicago, including Chicago Golf, Glen View and Geneva Golf. "I think we can raise $1 million or more in this way."
He won't say exactly how much he has raised so far, but Esler, whose partner is well-known course builder Jim Haley of Highland, Ind., is also considering a private placement of debt as part of the financial package he's amassing. He figures that $6 million will be enough to get started on construction, with his complex including a 10,000-square-foot clubhouse and a 200-bed lodge. His goal is to begin construction late this year and be open in early 2020.

AdChoices

Steve_Roths

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
I am so confused on the Pacific Gales deal.

This is the project with not a ton of ocean front.

$30M?  No second course...

Why not raise $6M and build something in the Sand Hills closer to town and have a shot at breaking even.

But what do I know?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
I am so confused on the Pacific Gales deal.

This is the project with not a ton of ocean front.

$30M?  No second course...

Why not raise $6M and build something in the Sand Hills closer to town and have a shot at breaking even.

But what do I know?

That's part of the disconnect i'm having.  According to Pete they already have 350 guys interested at 50k per.  My math says that's $17.5 mill...

Even if they only get half of that, that's not enough to get things going?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:33:06 AM »
I was just in Bangkok and got some info on the new Ballyshear Links by Gil Hanse there.  I love the CB Macdonald tie in. I know it is a marketing exercise as they are trying for 300 total members now and presently they are on phase II of that endeavor, thus the second 100. The photos on the Instagram are great and I didn't have time to visit the site myself, but did visit with their membership guy set up in downtown Bangkok.  I really like what I'm seeing.  It reminds me of a Tara Iti without the water (I know a big stretch ;D ).

Pricing is roughly 60k right now initiation and 2,500 a year dues of which half is a F/B and cart/caddie credit. However this land is leased until 2050 so the membership is basically until then.  After that most likely you either pay again or the course could theoretically fold.

Supposedly initiation is going up in January ahead of the opening.  Owned by a Japanese company that runs Yokohama, thus there is a reciprocal with them. Building a plush clubhouse and possibly future lodging on site.

I go to Thailand for business a couple times a year as well as use Bumrungrad Hospital (great btw) at least 1/2 times as well.  So I am somewhat interested for sure after seeing the layout and progress thus far.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 03:39:10 AM »
Also to compare to Ballyshear Links I got some info on Ayodhya Links in Bangkok as well.  They have a lease until 2040 and they are still asking for $115k initiation and $4k a year in spending credit. Although there the owner (former gov. big wig) owns the land and when the lease expires the course most likely will continue.  Not considering this place, but interesting comparison for Thailand market.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 08:22:05 AM »
The photos on the Instagram are great and I didn't have time to visit the site myself, but did visit with their membership guy set up in downtown Bangkok.  I really like what I'm seeing.  It reminds me of a Tara Iti without the water (I know a big stretch ;D ).

So it's in a swamp in Bangkok, but you think it will be like Tara Iti?  Even though you didn't have time to see it?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »
The photos on the Instagram are great and I didn't have time to visit the site myself, but did visit with their membership guy set up in downtown Bangkok.  I really like what I'm seeing.  It reminds me of a Tara Iti without the water (I know a big stretch ;D ).

So it's in a swamp in Bangkok, but you think it will be like Tara Iti?  Even though you didn't have time to see it?
I know it is lofty, but that is what I thought when I saw the renderings obviously minus the ocean. A lot of sand and There used to be a course there and I believe they raised the level of the course, using lakes as drainage etc. Can I put the renderings in dropbox and post a link? Anyone can help me I'd be grateful. 
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »

I know it is lofty, but that is what I thought when I saw the renderings obviously minus the ocean. A lot of sand and There used to be a course there and I believe they raised the level of the course, using lakes as drainage etc. Can I put the renderings in dropbox and post a link? Anyone can help me I'd be grateful.

Jeff I can help here.  Post a link or email the pics to me and I can get em up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back