News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Pine Lake—Michigan
« on: August 11, 2019, 05:31:37 PM »
Willie Park Jr design that has undergone lots of changes. Any details on history?

Thanks.

Ira

Tom_Doak

Re: Pine Lake—Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 05:58:00 PM »
I have never heard anyone in Michigan talk of this place.  Had to look up where it is . . . it is overshadowed by nearby Orchard Lake CC, among others.  Curious to hear first-hand reports, if anyone has been there.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
The golf course is flat and not really inspiring.  I played there regularly when visiting between 1970-77.  Like Orchard Lake, founded by grandfather's best friend, it was more of a enjoy the lake and clubhouse club.  Mr.Ward and my grandfather played their golf over at Bloomfield Hills, and occasionally played the course. Pine Lake, Orchard Lake, and Oakland Hills were the regular clubs for Cranbrook/Kingswood dances.  Not sure why, but quite a few families in the early years belonged to both Pine Lake and Orchard Lake.  Also, many members belonged to Oakland Hills and Bloomfield Hills in addition to Pine Lake or Orchard Lake. 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »

Really weird as I went down a rabbit hole looking at course architects listed in the Golf Association of Michigan course directory today looking and that was one that stood out.

Others that I hadn’t heard much/anything about:* (added a few links)
Blythefield Cc — Langford and Moreau
Cc of Lansing - Langford
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58721.msg1379798.html#msg1379798
Flint GC - Willie Park Jr (recent post here about Mike D doing work there)
Lochmoor Club -Sweeney (?) and Travis
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59786.msg1501624.html#msg1501624
Meadowbrook CC — Willie Park Jr
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64041.0.html
Muskegon CC -Ross
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61974.msg1471798.html#msg1471798
Plum Hollow CC -Colt and Alison
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,13497.msg1213449.html#msg1213449
Pointe Aux Barques — founded 1896!
Red Run GC — WPJ
A couple early 30’s by Harley Hodges?
Sauganash CC -AWT (doesn't look like much Tilly left)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16faZs2zj3Km7_NU52r2bnTyvzWE&ll=41.9123574387897%2C-85.63134935&z=16
Tam Oshanter - Alison
Western G&CC - Ross

*These aren’t my attributions and I make no claims of the accuracy of this list

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:36:33 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mike Schott

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 09:03:13 PM »
A friend is a member and I've played 4-5 times. As said it's flat and a bit boring. The greens have nice contour. The short par 4 18th is the best hole as it at least gives some options. Some time ago they added a huge pond which comes into play on a par 5 and the following par 3. Neither fit with the rest of the course.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Ira:

This is probably the best article I have on the early history of the club.

July 3, 1938 Detroit Free Press -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
Sven,

Many thanks. Hope that the summer season is treating you well.

Ira

Terry Poley

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Originally the Automobile Club of Detroit, The club was formed by some of the wealthiest and most influential people in the country.
- Henry Bourne Joy, president Packard Motor Company
- Russel Alger Jr, who's father was Governor of Michigan, U.S. Secretary of War, and U.S. Senator
- Truman Newberry, Secretary of the Navy, U.S. Senate 1919-1922
- John Dodge, Bicycle shop, Oldsmobile Transmission Builder, and of course Dodge
- Ransom E. Olds, inventor of the assembly line, and of course Oldsmobile
- Roy Chapin, Hudson Motor company, American Motors, and U.S. Secretary or Commerce
- James Couzens, U.S. Senate 1922, Mayor of Detroit 1919-1922, Secretary of Ford Motor Company
- Edwin S. George, one of the largest fur manufacturer and dealer in the U.S., Developer with Albert Kahn
- Howard E. Coffin, Founder of Hudson Motor Company

Moved from Detroit to Pine Lake in 1905 into a 40'x50' 2 story clubhouse.  In 1906 the members built Long Lake Road to shorten their commute by 6 miles.  In 1916 the club changed it's name to the Automobile Country Club. The club hired Willie Park Jr. to design the original 9 hole course which opened Saturday June 4th 1919, claiming to have the largest greens in the state.  David Kay, Scottish Golf Expert, was hired as the first golf professional, who had worked for WPJ for many years laying out courses. 

February 21, 1923 the club approves plans for a 9 hole addition, Ernie Way was hired as the pro / super to construct the new 9 holes.  There is evidence of the club hiring WPJ for the additional 9 holes, but perhaps he was not on site... I haven't found any details to prove he was actually here..

The course has been "improved" a lot over the years.  In the mid 1930's Albert Tillinghast rebuilt the 13th green, as requested by Jimmy Anderson, head professional and president of the Michigan PGA.  In the 1980's the club purchased a section of land adjacent to the 3rd and 4th holes in order to expand and lengthen the golf course.  VonHagge and Devlin were hired as the architects... This is where the ponds and heroic holes that don't match anything on the course come in... oops, I meant to  say "Signature Holes".  The scope of their work was a complete renovation that included ponds, island greens surrounded by sand, and of course lots and lots of pointy mounds.. but they only did work on holes 3-7.  Other greens were moved and rebuilt over the next few years with varying local architects, including #2, #9, and #13 and #14.  In 1999 Craig Schreiner renovated all the green side bunkers, and followed up in 2000-2001 with new tees, fairway bunkers and alignment, drainage, practice greens, and a rebuilt #5 green. 

In the last few years, we have been adjusting the course to make improvements.  We have retained Drew Rogers as our course architect, a few hundred trees have been removed, more fairway re-alignment, we have added roughly 25% more putting surface by recapturing green space, added another 4 areas of closely mown turf around greens, connecting some fairways, and connecting some greens to tees.  Most recently we removed two poorly placed fairway bunkers on the 11th hole and constructed one bunker with the scale and position to compliment the hole.

Drew has provided the club with a comprehensive plan for the future, but as of right now we are taking small bites and improving every day.

AND...Member feedback is almost 100% positive on all the work on the course.

Other fun facts:
9 of The Automobile Club members financed Packard Motor Company with an investment of $225,000, in 1902

In 1912, 3 guys drove a Columbus Electric Car from Woodward and Jefferson (downtown Detroit) to the Pine Lake Clubhouse... Columbus Buggy was owned by Clinton B. Firestone, who later turned his company over to a young relative "Harvey"

In 1908 Two of the clubs members personally paid to gravel Woodward Ave from the State Fairgrounds (8 mile) to 12 Mile

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
Any push to go back to The Automobile Club?  I think that would be a sweet name.

I mean how many Pine _______ or ______ Lake clubs are there?  Celebrate your heritage!
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
Also, good to see another turf guy on here!

--Harry Vardon

Mike Schott

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Terry, thanks for the detailed post. Very glad to hear they are slowly making improvements. It must have been quite the drive from Detroit 100 years ago.

I've always felt quite welcome when invited to play Pine Lake. While I haven't spoke highly of it, I've enjoyed the course and recall making some crazy sidehill putts. It helps that the member who graciously invited me, treated me like his son. I've known the gentleman for 40+ years but a few years ago he moved permanently to Florida.

Terry Poley

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Terry, thanks for the detailed post. Very glad to hear they are slowly making improvements. It must have been quite the drive from Detroit 100 years ago.

I've always felt quite welcome when invited to play Pine Lake. While I haven't spoke highly of it, I've enjoyed the course and recall making some crazy sidehill putts. It helps that the member who graciously invited me, treated me like his son. I've known the gentleman for 40+ years but a few years ago he moved permanently to Florida.

According to records, it took 37 minutes to drive from the Book Cadillac Hotel to Pine Lake.. Which is crazy considering it takes at least that much time today! 

The members held an annual automobile tour / race, called the Century Tour from 1906-1908.  It was a 100 mile, timed section, touring event.  The Chairmen would announce the route and the average speed for each section the day before the race.  Each event started at the Book Cadillac Hotel and finished at the Automobile Club on Pine Lake.  There were 3 classes of cars:  Class 1 was >$3,000, Class 2 was $1,500-$3,000, and Class 3 was <$1,000. 

June 22, 1906
-Book Cadillac
-Ypsilanti
-Saline
-Ann Arbor
-South Lyon
-New Hudson
-Novi
-Farmington
-Pine Lake

June 22, 1907
-Book Cadillac
-Pontiac
-Rochester
-Lake Orion
-Pontiac
-Farmington
-Wixon
-Pine Lake

June 27, 1908
-Book Cadillac
-Birmingham
-Pontiac
-Rochester
-Bald Mt
-Pontiac
-Farmington
-Pine Lake

Terry Poley

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Another point of interest, since all the talk of the renovation at Blomfield Hills CC.  Col. Edwin S. George on of the founding members of Pine Lake (Automobile CC) was "the moving spirit" in the Organization of Bloomfield Hills CC and its president for 5 years.

Mike Schott

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
One more memory. At one time, when I was a teen (many moons ago), a friends generous grandmother used to take he and I to the original Charley's Crab restaurant which was on Pine Like Road just south of the club. That was the middle of nowhere 45 years ago. I think it was where the big custom homes are now. Almost adjacent to the 18th green.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »
Charley's Crab was my mother and father's first date.

Guess it went well...

--Harry Vardon

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Since quite a few prominent early members were pointed out, missing were:
Booth family--- Detroit Free Press owners
Fitzgerald family---Pontiac newspaper and a bunch of small regional newspapers
Benjamin Anibal---original designer of the Pontiac
Stritch family---famous for daughter Eileen
Charles Wilson---president of GM

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 12:17:45 AM »
Accidentally double posted
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:19:27 AM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back