News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: In praise of firm and fast
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
The best examples I've seen in the last 12 months are Cal Club, Shoreacres and Sankaty Head.  But even within that group, Sankaty Head was substantially firmer/faster than the other two. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
The best examples I've seen in the last 12 months are Cal Club, Shoreacres and Sankaty Head.  But even within that group, Sankaty Head was substantially firmer/faster than the other two.

+1 on Sankaty Head-Fantastic!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »

My question then is:      How does a club go about educating their membership that soft, emerald green fairways may photograph well, but they don't play right?  How does a club teach their members the benefits of firm and fast (better playing conditions and cheaper maintenance) and get them to have disdain for soft, green conditions?

TS

I should let this go without comment, but it hits a sore spot even though it was years ago.  We hired a new super who had never worked on a sand based course with less than state-of-the-art irrigation and hot high desert summers.  The course got away from him and, more importantly, away from what our golfers were used to.  He never really recovered once the hot weather arrived.  And then pretty much did the same thing the next year until I hired an assistant super to handle the irrigation.  In fact we knew our golfers and weren't really trying to achieve the firm and fast conditions we often have in the non irrigation seasons (my favorite time to play).  There were many conditioning complaints from average golfers who didn't seem to notice how these conditions could actually benefit their games.  But by far the most vocal and  influential complaints came from a core group of our best low-handicap golfers.  We tried awfully hard to educate these guys about how the course played and not focus so much on how it looked. At one point they accused me of "trying to turn their course into a links" because they knew I love that style of golf.  I was doing no such thing because I know very well we could never do that.  Long story short, this core group left en mass for another nearby club.  These were my friends and golfing buddies and I took it personally, especially since I considered our playing surface, brown spots and all, a vastly superior surface to the over-watered, over-fertilized "grass factory" where they went.

We've all recovered and grown old since but I learned a very hard lesson that has influenced our maintenance meld to this day.  My advice would be to make changes slowly over time so that people hardly notice and have time to adjust.           

John Emerson

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
Adding to this, many course don’t have the resources to actually make this happen. It takes a sound and consistent topdressing program over a couple years to achieve this. Not to mention regular aerification and verticutting.  If there is a good sand layer under the canopy and  then the top layer will stay dry and firm even with irrigation/rain.  Keeping that top layer dry is what prevents plugging and gives run out.  It also takes a lot of time and sand to topdress fairways and approaches and this is usually the biggest limitation.  It can be done but a club must commit the resources to make it happen.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »
Adding to this, many course don’t have the resources to actually make this happen. It takes a sound and consistent topdressing program over a couple years to achieve this. Not to mention regular aerification and verticutting.  If there is a good sand layer under the canopy and  then the top layer will stay dry and firm even with irrigation/rain.  Keeping that top layer dry is what prevents plugging and gives run out.  It also takes a lot of time and sand to topdress fairways and approaches and this is usually the biggest limitation.  It can be done but a club must commit the resources to make it happen.

John-Would it make sense to do all the approaches and roll the dice with Mother Nature for the landing areas if money is at issue?

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »
Meadowbrook CC in its 3rd season after Andy Staples' renovation.  Playing firm and fast this summer...although some members are still looking for green fairways and receptive greens. 

I especially enjoy the extra distance on my drives, and the bounce-up shot too.  Thank you Jared (superintendent) and Andy for making this happen. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 03:04:41 AM »
I think John's analysis and suggestions are correct.  We do this on a limited scale based on what our golfers are willing to pay for.  Our focus is affordable golf.  We do what we do with that in mind.  I'm neither proud or embarrassed by it given that our golfers don't really know the difference based on their experience.  We provide a fun course and game, which is what they require, and don't do much more than that given that our soils and bones are better than most.  We do OK rather than superb as a result.  Could we do better?  Of course.  But my delusions of grandeur of creating a golfing masterpiece have been eroded by the hard knocks of operating a course that is fun to play and makes a few bucks.  That's hard enough.  I admire and support those dreamers who want to promote a greater vision of what golf can be, as I have, but remind them its a simple game among friends, played outdoors, in nature, in the elements, for fun.  We could do this on a goat ranch.   

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »

Topdressing isn't a solution on its own. There needs to be extensive drainage under the sand to make it work properly. If not, in wet periods the sand can fill up, staying wet and therefore causing more issues as the water has no where to go.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

John Emerson

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »

Topdressing isn't a solution on its own. There needs to be extensive drainage under the sand to make it work properly. If not, in wet periods the sand can fill up, staying wet and therefore causing more issues as the water has no where to go.

You are correct.  Topdressing is only a part of the solution.  Cart traffic, soil types, grass species, proper water management, and drainage all play a role in keeping firm turf.  But, I will say sand is always a good start. 

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Meadowbrook CC in its 3rd season after Andy Staples' renovation.  Playing firm and fast this summer...although some members are still looking for green fairways and receptive greens. 

I especially enjoy the extra distance on my drives, and the bounce-up shot too.  Thank you Jared (superintendent) and Andy for making this happen.

New courses or regrassed courses tend to play very firm and fast in their first few seasons as there has been limited opportunity to build up a significant thatch layer in the profile.  I would expect Meadowbrook to soften somewhat in the coming years.  This is not a knock on their crew, I'm sure they will work very hard to prevent an excessive buildup through their cultural processes. 
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »
On the topic of topdressing, there are a number of greenkeepers that refuse to topdress with straight sand, they either mix it with topsoil or compost.  The trick is to get the profile to hold the right amount of water, and hold a certain desirable moisture level range for as long as possible.  When you build a straight sand profile or close to irrigation frequency has to increase as the water moves through so quickly. 

Scott Anderson (Huntingdon Valley) and Rick Slattery (Locust Hill) are guys that have been doing this for years with great results.  Anderson has an interview on this site that is a must read, and Slattery did a podcast with Frank Rossi that is a must listen.  I'd post the links, but google exists.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Ryan Coles

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
Fast is very much weather dependent.

Most links courses provide excellent surfaces, but some can be thin, some overly hard and and dry and some where meadow grass has overtaken.

For optimum firmness, coverage, drainage and purity of strike, 3 venues spring to mind from the UK.

Brora
RSG (the practice ground in particular)
St Andrews Old, New & Jubilee

Where is your favourite place to strike a crisp iron shot?

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
How often do F&F courses aerate their fairways?
H.P.S.

John Emerson

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 12:53:53 PM »
How often do F&F courses aerate their fairways?

There’s no set number here.  Yes it has to be yearly regular occurrence, but if the club substitutes aerification for vericutting then it’s a moot point and probably better off since verticutting typically removes more thatch per square foot than aerification.  Adding sand after a couple thatch removal processes is the key.  There’s so many things to consider here, and like soil questions, it’s not a one size fits all.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:27 PM »
Rustic Canyon introduced quality firm and fast to California years ago.  In the spring and fall, the greens are so firm that approach shots take at least 20 feet to stop on a well struck shot from a player with 100+ clubhead speed.  LACC has embraced this maintenance meld, and plays as firm as conditions allow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back