News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: Portush to Replace Lytham and/or Muirfield?
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
Sean,

Just saying it will always be known as the British Open here stateside, no matter how much the R&A tries to stuff their pretentious name down the world's throat. That's not me not accepting. That's me stating the truth of the matter.

Agreed, it doesn’t demean the event in any way to call it British Open from those stateside, just a carryover.  Who calls the Sears Tower the Willis Tower?  That’s the point, tradition dies hard.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2019, 02:57:18 AM »
Sean,

Just saying it will always be known as the British Open here stateside, no matter how much the R&A tries to stuff their pretentious name down the world's throat. That's not me not accepting. That's me stating the truth of the matter.

Let's not forget that when the event was taking shape in its early years, there were no other open events. The name made perfect sense.

Eliminating "British" from the nick name is more involved than mere pretentiousness and branding. There is a certain amount of political savy at work. I don't believe the R&A want to be seen as condoning the use of "British" in the title for obvious political  reasons. An obvious way to approach this problem is to require broadcasters to drop the word "British". I didn't watch much of The Open, but I think the campaign was pretty successful. It is interesting that the R&A has followed The Master's (talk about a pretentious title!) lead in making demands of broadcaster's use of language.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:15:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2019, 03:51:27 AM »
'Augusta National Invitation Tournament'.
atb

Bernie Bell

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
Please don’t speak for me.  I’m stateside, I’ll call it the Open if that’s preferred.  Why wouldn’t I?    (I could be mistaken but think the original name derived from it being open to lowly working pros, not limited to the wealthy ams).  And if that small island has more culture in the way of golf, whisky, the English language, common law and free market capitalism, please “aggressively foist”away. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
I'm sure that when I was growing up it was generally referred to as "The US Masters".

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
And as to other possible courses, think infrastructure, transportation, accommodation, spectators etc etc, politics even, before golf.

...exactly what we see with the Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup venue selections are all about politics and money.  Especially the money!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »
I'm sure that when I was growing up it was generally referred to as "The US Masters".

I've spent a lot of time in Australia and they always called it the U.S. Masters.

At the time there still was an Australian Masters so I guess it made sense. I'm not really bothered by it either way.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2019, 06:07:54 PM »
Ironically The Open is far less "open" than the US Open with merely 12 spots available via open qualifying, vs. 68 spots in last year's US Open.
They do however have other means of qualifying via finishes in events on various tours
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David McIntosh

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »
And as to other possible courses, think infrastructure, transportation, accommodation, spectators etc etc, politics even, before golf.

...exactly what we see with the Ryder Cup.
The Ryder Cup venue selections are all about politics and money.  Especially the money!

Tom,

Good spot. I took the money as a given but just noticed it wasn’t on the earlier list!

David McIntosh

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
And both events a huge success.........
True - but I know which set of courses I’d rather spectate at and/or play.

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
Jeff

So, The Open is very open because there are tons of ways to qualify. Local Qualifying is merely one avenue.

I really like the Open Qualifying Series except that three tournies are in the US. I think they should drop those and add old Opens such as France etc. This series spread out the travel costs for guys who are not making a proper living from playing golf. Lots of local players get a chance to qualify without an expensive trip to the UK.  I think this leads to a more international field.

Only 17 players went through local and sectional qualifying at this year's US Open. Five more than the equivalent system for The Open. The big difference is the Qualifying Series... that's about 30 folks qualifying this way.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »
Really looking forward to next year's British Open at Royal St. George's.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »

Only 17 players went through local and sectional qualifying at this year's US Open. Five more than the equivalent system for The .

Ciao

I too like the qualifying series events.

Yes 17 went through local and sectional for the US Open, but 68 got in via the Sectional-that's still a separate qualifier
Only 12 get in via the Open version of the sectional (called a "Final" qualifier)

as far as local and sectional qualifying(what they call Regional and Final qualifying) you're forgetting that many in The Open are exempt through the Regional to the Final as well, so 17 to 12 is not an accurate comparison.
For instance, the year I got through to Final Qualifying, as first alternate from Regional qualifying, I took Retief Goosen's place, who had elected not to use his exemption from Regional qualifying into the Final Qualifier, so in theory anyone who was exempt through to Final qualifying and made it would not count in your 12 (making it through both local and sectional)

But I like their method and 12 spots is more than they had a few years ago when they reinstated the Regional and Final Qualifying.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:38:54 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jack_Marr

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2019, 08:21:48 PM »
Turnberry is the least successful venue for revenues.

The Open is only played in Great Britain, if Scotland becomes independent then several venues will fall off the rota.

Portrush isn't in Great Britain. I think it is possible to host it beyond the UK but they don't have to. I don't believe there is any rule excluding courses outside the UK. Is that right?
John Marr(inan)

James Brown

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2019, 08:50:22 PM »
Sean,

Jack Nicklaus still calls it the British Open. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2019, 09:12:48 PM »
Sean,

Jack Nicklaus still calls it the British Open.

Mr. Nicklaus is a member of one of the generations for which US media called it the British Open.  Until the past 15 years, that was true for my generation as well. Two things have changed: 1. The media found that The Open created more interest and 2. The USGA messed up so frequently that implying a tournament exceeded the “US Open” had less downside. And a third factor is that as golf became more global, the R&A was smart to embrace the branding opportunities, but that factor really just combines the first two.

Ira

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »
And both events a huge success.........
True - but I know which set of courses I’d rather spectate at and/or play.
I have been to a Ryder Cup and to a few majors and I find the Ryder Cup has great atmosphere but logistically isn't great for watching golf, especially on Friday and Saturday when there are tens of thousands of people trying to watch five matches.  In terms of seeing the course and golfers I have found that the first and second round are the best rounds to watch in person - at least at the Masters.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
Four matches on Friday and Saturday Wayne -- it's worse than you thought!

I've sworn that I'm never going to a Ryder Cup again without either a press badge or a hospitality ticket. As you say the atmosphere is fantastic but for actually watching golf it's a nightmare.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
Four matches on Friday and Saturday Wayne -- it's worse than you thought!

I've sworn that I'm never going to a Ryder Cup again without either a press badge or a hospitality ticket. As you say the atmosphere is fantastic but for actually watching golf it's a nightmare.

last year's was sensational-every hole was stadiumlike.
Not a course  want to play but fantastic viewing. My wife at 5 foot one saw more golf than she's ever seen.
Had a hospitality badge but never left the course.
Obviously the atmosphere was electric as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back