News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Amol Yajnik

Cabot Saint Lucia
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
https://cabotsaintlucia.com/

Coore/Crenshaw design at the northern tip of Saint Lucia, backed by Mike Keiser and the Cabot Links team.  Website states that there will be a resort component as well as a real estate component.  Scheduled opening is "early 2021."  7 holes of the golf course are along the ocean.  From the route map, looks like 16 and 17 are back-to-back par 3s over the water.

Master plan for the property:

Brad Tufts

Re: Cabot Saint Lucia
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
Whoa!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jon Heise

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
Incredibly excited for this.  What a surprise!
I still like Greywalls better.

corey miller

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »

Very cool they even have the two course comfort stations laid out.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
Routing looks tight for green-to-tee walks with one exception: 10 green to 11 tee.  At first I couldn't find the 11th tee, it was so far from the 10th green. 

Also, 15, 16 and 17 kind of mirror those holes at CPC.  15 looks similar to 17 at CPC... 16 looks similar to CPC 15... and 17 looks a bit like CPC's famous 16th hole.   

Is this C&C's first real estate course?  I wonder how/if that affected the routing. 

Erik Mosley

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
Cool! Am I seeing it right that there are no standalone bunkers on the course? Will be interesting to see how it plays as I hardly think of "firm and fast" when I think of Caribbean golf.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
Since it is a resort course, they will probably have a shuttle driver for the 10 green to 11 tee hike.

Since it is a resort course, do people walk?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
Cool! Am I seeing it right that there are no standalone bunkers on the course? Will be interesting to see how it plays as I hardly think of "firm and fast" when I think of Caribbean golf.

It's possible that they would not build any bunkers, but this is a development plan, not a construction plan for the golf course.  When I draw a plan at this stage, the bunkers are just for show; all the real decisions are made on site.  So I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the lack of bunkers on the plan, unless the press release talks about no bunkers.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
So 16 and 17 are back to back Par 3s over water?  It looks like the ladies will play a completely different angle into 16 (or is that an alternate tee?).  Anyway, looks awesome!

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
It looks like a resort course or a real estate driven course to me because of all the houses. And the cart path from 10 to 11.

I am surprised Coore said yes to this one. He has often said, take me back to the airport, after seeing a site or two, or that is what the often repeated story says.

This course could be like Mid Ocean, or a course in Hawaii. Will this one be as good as Kapalua? Is this one designed to host a tour event? (I think it would in order to sell real estate)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
It looks like a resort course or a real estate driven course to me because of all the houses. And the cart path from 10 to 11.

I am surprised Coore said yes to this one. He has often said, take me back to the airport, after seeing a site or two, or that is what the often repeated story says.

This course could be like Mid Ocean, or a course in Hawaii. Will this one be as good as Kapalua? Is this one designed to host a tour event? (I think it would in order to sell real estate)

Scott,

Have you seen the site?

Any architect who said “take me back to the airport” after seeing this site with this client should immediately retire because they must be spoilt beyond words.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
Location looks good, but terrain looks pretty steep.  Looks it should be a pretty nice cart ball course....

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
The stretch from 10 green to 11 tee doesn't look that bad - no more than the walk at Cabot Links from 6 green to 7 tee.  But I do imagine that many/most golfers will use carts given the heat present at St Lucia.  It is a different proposition walking in St Lucia vs Cabot, Bandon, Scotland, etc.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
That looks like an absolutely gorgeous piece of land for a golf course. Lot's of elevation changes and as with Pebble, I can see there being some sketchy sidehills lies on certain holes. I'm excited to see the end result. Does the course face the the sunset side of the Island? I couldn't tell from the diagram and photos posted. It appears that it does. If so, BONUS!!  ;D ;D
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Jim Hoak

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Looks terrific.  Very happy for Ben.  Congratulations!  Looks like another winner!
What does anyone know about the island of Saint Lucia?  History?  Airline connections?  Accommodations?  Cities?  Culture?  Government?  Guess I can Google it.
Just read the Wikipedia info.  Interesting island.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:43:48 PM by Jim Hoak »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 08:43:49 PM »
St. Lucia is quite nice - I was there for a few days earlier this year.  It has both French and British heritage.  There are currently a variety of resorts including some ultra high end resorts like Jade Mountain.  Cabot St. Lucia is at the northern tip of the island - just to the east side at Pointe Hardy on the map below.  So it is unlikely to get the sunsets.

The international airport is at Vieux Fort which is at the very southern tip of the island so the drive to the airport will be over an hour, or they will likely have a helicopter option as well. 

Map of St. Lucia

Here is a map of the area where the golf resort will be.  Note that Donkey Beach which is labelled on the map below is to the right of the 18th fairway.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 07:10:56 AM »
Awesome move and we all will wait (impatiently) to see this new destination.

Most interesting will be what evolves on this windy island. Like it's neighbors it's beautiful and serene with a very laid back lifestyle and culture. This otherwise sleepy island has little in the way of major tourism infrastructure.

For years it's been known as an out-of-the-way kite and windsurfing destination, and I can tell you from years of first-hand experience, these sailors need little other than a hammock or mattress, fresh food and beer,  wind and a freshwater shower to find bliss.

I imagine some fresh capital will find it attractive now and come in and invest in more infrastructure and ancillary services. It's existing inland golf course might find a patron willing to renovate it? New restaurants and air services will have to arrive. No matter, its exciting to know that such savvy folks as Ben, Mike, et.al. are committed to adding yet another worthy golf destination to this planet.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Lou_Duran

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Rats!  I was ready to put a deposit on my Am Express for one of their $4 Million residences until learning here that sunsets are iffy. :(   Seems rather strange that Mr. Kaiser and the C&C guys would be involved in this type of complicated, long-term project which will require a great amount of infrastructure development.  I suppose that their water source will be rainfall captured in the ponds/lakes on the southwest part of the property?  Hope they succeed.   

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
I don't know if you are serious or not but St. Lucia is generally a very lush island with rainforests, although that part of the island looks more desert-like.  The area where I stayed, near Soufriere grows cocoa beans and make their own chocolate.

Michael George

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
I find it funny that people are shocked that C&C took this engagement.  Really?  First, look at the property.  Can potential sites get much better than this.  Second, how many architects have said no to Mike Keiser in the last 20 years.

And C&C have worked within a housing development.  See Clear Creek Tahoe.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 12:48:40 PM »
Perhaps it is taboo to say this here given Ben's involvement in GCA, but the excitement here from folks is laughable.

It's a dense, residential, golf course in the carribean. This looks like a Davis Love course in Mexico?! Comfort stations? Really?

This is a far cry from "Golf...as it was meant to be" ???

Michael George - Are you sure you want to use Clear Creek as an example? Didn't that go BK in 2010/11? Maybe this is just another sign of a pending economic bubble...
H.P.S.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
The Cabot Links course has two "comfort stations" assuming that this means locations with f&b and toilets.

corey miller

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »

I don't think the problem is that there are two comfort stations on a golf course rather that  they are part of a plan (along with every lot,house) two years prior to the course opening.

Perhaps all those involved deserve some benefit of the doubt but other than the water views what exactly makes this site so desirable for a golf course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back