News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Epic Approach Shots
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
There has been a lot of talk going into this week about the 8th hole at Pebble Beach and more specifically the approach. It’s up there among the greats and my question is what other approaches provide the same type of drama? I think the 4th at Fishers Island and the 3rd at NGLA provide the same type of thrill and I can think of a bunch more. What say you?

Eric Smith

Re: Epic Approach Shots
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »
13 at Rye!

Michael Felton

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
13 at Pine Valley springs to mind.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
18 at Philly Cricket and 18 at Stonewall (Old) are pretty good too.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
18 at Kapalua.  Par 5 I know but most people go for it, with the ocean as a backdrop and having to carry over a canyon downhill it sticks out to me as beautiful and challenging at the same time. Usually with wind as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
Give me a break.  The discussion begins and ends with the 17th at St. Andrews.  Surely, but how would I know, that to hit that green is as rewarding as it gets and only reserved for someone who can really golf their ball.

Bogey (Twice)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Gallant

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
17 at Prestwick is gem.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »
I like most of the above, but i have to say I'm amazed how many blind shots have been nominated already.  If you'd titled the thread, "The most epic approach shots are blind shots," probably 90% of people would have objected!

The most epic approach shot I've built is probably the 12th at Cape Kidnappers.  The hole has been completely overshadowed by the 15th but the visuals are much more dramatic, and it is a scarier shot with everything falling away from the green.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
I like most of the above, but i have to say I'm amazed how many blind shots have been nominated already.  If you'd titled the thread, "The most epic approach shots are blind shots," probably 90% of people would have objected!

The most epic approach shot I've built is probably the 12th at Cape Kidnappers.  The hole has been completely overshadowed by the 15th but the visuals are much more dramatic, and it is a scarier shot with everything falling away from the green.

Interesting point! Before getting to this comment my simplified view of epic approaches was that they are generally a) long, increasing the chance of a mishit with a long iron or fairway wood; b) have some sort of extreme risk / reward nature; and c) the player can see the green so as to know the outcome just seconds after hitting the shot. The firs two are all about variance of outcomes, which I think you need for something to be epic! The last is all about feeling the reward of pulling it off.

Rick Lane

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
16th at TPC Sawgrass if you are going for it.  Fun shot

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
#18 at Merion? Certainly the most epic photo of an approach shot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/272587524182?chn=ps

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
13 and 15 at ANGC.

Based on pictures, a few holes at Rock Creek Cattle Company look like candidates.  Maybe 7 and 9? 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
18 at Eastward Ho!

Michael Felton

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
A few more suggestions:

4 and 14 at RSG
16 at RCP
16 on WHO
9 at Shinnecock
18 on WFW

If we can include par 3s in this, then 4 at NGLA and (although I have sadly not had the pleasure) 16 at CPC

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
Epic is a very high bar because to me it must include some special scenery and be a very good hole.  That makes it tough for uphill holes! 

Assuming one can have a go in two...which is not at all uncommon (if we use me as the bar)

16 Pennard
13 Cleeve Cloud
3 Rosses Point
8 Brancaster
6 Sunny New

Other choices

3 St Andrews Eden
11 West Cornwall
5 Portrush

I am trying to think of short 4s, but the best ones I can think of have the view on the tee with uphill approaches or little view to speak of. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Brown

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
14 at Dornoch is my personal favorite.

corey miller

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »

Part of an "epic" approach shot for me is the measure of the extent to which having the opportunity to play the "epic" shot is felt on the tee. 

Merion #11,#16 a short four and a long four are only really enjoyed after a good solid drive in the fairway.  I feel I am deprived if I hit an indifferent tee ball and have to lay up on the second making for an epic third.

At my home club we have a 460 yard punchbowl and a 450 road hole that cease being as much fun if I can't have a go at it in two.

Garland Bayley

Re: Epic Approach Shots New
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:16:12 AM »
I'm partial to the 17th at Brora.
;)

And of course Foxy as James pointed out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:42:29 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back