News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Druid Hills GC, Atlanta
« on: October 27, 2003, 10:37:29 AM »
I was in Atlanta over the weekend visiting my daughter in college and drove by Druid Hills Golf Club a couple of times. It's undergoing a total renovation by Bob Cupp according to the club website, and it was pretty torn up. However, the rolling land looked very attractive and the bunkering is done and appeared to be quite good too--lots of varied and deep bunkers both in the fairways and greenside. The course apparently was designed by Herbert Barker in 1913. Any of you Atlantans or others care to comment on this course?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 10:38:37 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Carlyle Rood

Re:Druid Hills GC, Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 11:07:50 AM »
The adjoining neighborhood was planned by Frederick Law Olmsted!

http://www.mindspring.com/~olmstedatlanta/DruidHills.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 11:12:56 AM by Carlyle Rood »

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 11:14:54 AM »
Druid Hills is a short, sporty course. Fun to play. It has a local reputation for wonderfully fast greens. Not, however, a course of great architectural interest.

Favorite holes: nos. 8, 9, 17 and 18.

For several decades DH has hosted The Dogwood, a prestigious amateur tournament. Winning scores tend to be very, very low.

I have seen the Cupp plans. Most of the major changes are to holes 13, 14 and 15. He doesn't have much land to work with. Will be interesting to see the final product.

Bob

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 01:45:46 PM »
A friend of mine is involved with the work at Druid Hills and has had a number of meetings with Cupp.  He previously went through a Fazio rework of his course which he really wasn't happy with, but he feels that Cupp is seriously interested in keeping/restoring the original look and feel of the course.  Time will tell, but my friend has been impressed so far.

Doug Wright

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 02:36:27 PM »
Thanks John,

It looked pretty good from the road, but a drive-by viewing's probably just as bad as looking at photos--and a little more dangerous ... :D

Anyone know who Herbert Barker, the original designer, is?

Best,
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 02:37:40 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 02:37:32 PM »
Tillinghast did some re-work too.
Druid Hills (R) 1935
Atlanta, GA

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 02:59:11 PM »
Barker was the head pro at GCGC for a number of years.

He layed out the original course at Columbia C.C. in Maryland, Site of this year's Junior Amateur.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 06:34:30 PM »
I caddied for a friend at Druid Hills once in a USGA qualifying event (I forget which) and remember really enjoying what I saw of it. By Atlanta standards, I reckon it's a bit of a hidden gem - I would very much enjoy giving it a look some day. But I don't remember too many specifics about it.

Cheers,
Darren

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back