News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Phillips

Australian publics?
« on: April 20, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
I will be in Australia for a business trip for ten days, moving from meetings in Perth on a Friday to Melbourne the following Monday.  Considering options for the free weekend and may try squeeze in some golf.  I'm aware of the great clubs of the Sandbelt, but are there any worthwhile publics worth pursuing in Melbourne or Perth?  I presume it's tough to get from Perth on a Friday night to Cape Wickham then Melbourne by Sunday night?

Tom_Doak

Re: Australian publics?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
If you're taking a red-eye from Perth to Melbourne, you could get in two rounds at Cape Wickham Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Same for Barnbougle.

In Perth, Joondalup and Kennedy Bay are both public / resort courses, I believe; I've not seen the latter but it is highly regarded by Darius Oliver.  The Cut, further south of the city, is another possibility I haven't seen.

Or you could fly to Melbourne, drive down to the Mornington Peninsula [1.5 hours], and play St. Andrews Beach and The Dunes, which are both generally considered better than the Perth courses.

None of the Sandbelt courses are public, all would be busy with member play on the weekend.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
Great stuff.  St. Andrews Beach and The Dunes seem like perfect options - both look to have tee times available and affordable, so that is likely the direction I'll go, plus I've only played three of your courses so this will allow me to add a 4th!  I get to Australia every quarter and will keep Tasmania / Kings Island for a later visit when I have more time.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Keith,

Portsea is a good option also. It's about 20 minutes further along from St AB and Dunes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »
Keith,

Portsea is a good option also. It's about 20 minutes further along from St AB and Dunes.

Is Portsea public?  I thought it was a private club.

Charles Lund

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »
I'd second the recommendations on the Mornington Peninsula.

I just returned from my 15th trip to Australia, all involving some to a lot of time in that area.  I am partial to The Dunes (first course I played in Australia in 2007), St. Andrews Beach, and Moonah Links Legends.  The small area in which these courses are located makes them a great value costwise, as well as convenience once you are there.

There are a lot of Airbnb listings in the area. 

You can fly to Launceston and drive to Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm, which were the top two public courses prior to the King Island courses.  In 2008, I spent three days at Barnbougle Dunes and returned in 2012 and spent a week, splitting my time equally between both courses. 

Charles Lund

MKrohn

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »

Keith, just something to factor into your travel plan.

I drove from Melbourne airport down to Sorrento (Mornington Peninsula) 2 weeks ago on a Friday evening, it took 3 hours. If you can avoid travelling down there between 3pm and 7pm it makes things less painful.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 05:46:46 AM »
Are there King Island - Tasmania flights?
When combined with Melbourne it would make a nice loop if there were (although I guess with small charter flights almost all is possible).
Atb

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 06:12:37 AM »

Tom. 

Portsea is like many Australian out of city clubs. It has members but is open to the public and more then welcoming.
Clubs including Rosebud, Port Fairy and Barwon Heads all run on the same model.

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:59:39 PM »
None of the Sandbelt courses are public, all would be busy with member play on the weekend.
Peninsula and Victoria have stay and play options.  I'm unsure whether weekend play is allowed on Vic - I assume it is - but it definitely is at Peninsula, where Keith will have two courses to play.  Or I could just take him down on the Sunday.

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »
Keith,

If you get the chance to take up the opportunity to play with Mark, jump at it. He is a great and generous host.

The golf courses at Peninsula are amongst the very best in Australia.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »
I really appreciate all the great advice.  My current plan is to play St. Andrews Beach sometime on the Saturday; and I've learned that Victoria has a Charity Day on the Sunday which has openings so I may join that.  Mark, my game is in a sad state so I hesitate to show up at a proper private club to embarrass a host (I'm assuming I will be in good company at a charity day!)

Keith Phillips

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »
...and just checked my pegboard of 'Golf Magazine Top 100 - 1998-1999' and Victoria comes in at #94...a gap in my resume so a must-see!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 04:26:36 AM »
I like Australian system of private courses which is similar to the UK, that although private they allow outside play, albeit at a premium. Victoria was getting renovated when I was there in February or it would have been on the list.  I think NSW hole 7 should be done by now and open I believe which would be nice to play.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark_F

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 05:09:15 AM »
Keith,
If you get the chance to take up the opportunity to play with Mark, jump at it. He is a great and generous host.

The golf courses at Peninsula are amongst the very best in Australia.
You are too generous, Ash. (But also obviously correct...)

Mark, my game is in a sad state so I hesitate to show up at a proper private club to embarrass a host
Trust me Keith, you won't be. 

St Andrews Beach and Vic is a terrific combination, however.   Should be a great weekend for you.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »

In Perth, Joondalup and Kennedy Bay are both public / resort courses, I believe; I've not seen the latter but it is highly regarded by Darius Oliver.  The Cut, further south of the city, is another possibility I haven't seen.

Keith,

I was in Perth for business just before XMas. Played both the Cut and Kennedy Bay. Kennedy Bay is by far the better course, and about 30 mins closer to the city..

The Cut has about 6 holes on the ocean that are really pretty good. The rest of the course is not great.

I would re-affirm Tom and Mike Clayton's comments about public golf in Melbourne/Mornington Peninsula.
Next!

MKrohn

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 06:41:57 PM »

Really like the St Andrews/Victoria double, would happily play that combo every weekend of my life.

Onto safer ground for me, post match beer options. St Andrews clubhouse is a shed or maybe a shipping crate, you can get a drink however there is a far better option 2 mins down the road.
https://www.standrewsbeachbrewery.com.au/

At Victoria, ask for a Snow White in the bar, they will know what you mean.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 09:42:25 PM »
MKrohn, now THAT is value-added!  I will take that advice to heart!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back