News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT -Can you wear a mock shirt like Tiger wore at most clubs?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
I always wear slacks as a first time guest at any club. It's tough enough getting fat shamed by a bag boy without when getting out of an Uber you are literally a bag boy yourself. Eyes up fellas.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
I know its not the most popular opinion.

But I'd rather wear a Tiger mock turtle neck any day before being caught dead in those fugly as hell Green Jackets.  I get its tradition and all, but they are just awful....

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
It's not difficult to predict that this thread, of questionable fabric ;), will get the most traction this week on GCA. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
Forget the cut, how about the fabric?  Back in the late 70's we'd set off a "leisure alert" at the frat house when some freshman came trough rush wearing a leisure suit.  There is absolutely no size of synthetic that looks good on us big boys.  There was zero cotton in the Masters golf shop.  Bring it back.

Bogey

Bogey - it's all about "branding".

Polyester did not brand well on-course. "Hey, dont smoke near that guy with the cheap poly shirt...hahaha!"

However, when you have a shirt made of "performance wicking material", well, that's a different story.

Ben Sims

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Rant time.

Look at Billy Payne and now Fred Ridley sloughing off the shackles of the traditionally staid Augusta National through a metric feces-load of modernizations and people still going to gripe.

Never have I been dress-coded at a top 20 American course. I’m sure I’ve worn shorts, those adidas golf shoes that resemble athletic shoes, and perhaps even a sweater with a quarter zip. At National I wore a Roy Williams Carolina blue blazer with shorts so I could have lunch. Our sponsor said it’s pretty widely accepted when it’s hot and they don’t want to fully change before an afternoon round. I looked like a flunky—even though I completely met the dress code—a bit in my earlier golf travels because 1) overhauling a wardrobe for a single trip on a young officers budget wasn’t happening and 2) I met the rules.

Bottom line, golf is a pastime and an escape. And it’s also meant to be fun. Dress appropriately for the occasion. Tiger did. I wonder how the fifteen time major champ would be accepted at (insert other club here) with his mock turtle on.

John Blain

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
Seems like this whole mock turtle thing is a sleeve issue, no? If it's ok to wear a long sleeve mock why not a short sleeve one?

BHoover

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »
Can you wear a mock turtleneck vs. should you wear a mock turtleneck not a difficult debate.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
Forget the cut, how about the fabric?  Back in the late 70's we'd set off a "leisure alert" at the frat house when some freshman came trough rush wearing a leisure suit.  There is absolutely no size of synthetic that looks good on us big boys.  There was zero cotton in the Masters golf shop.  Bring it back.

Bogey
Mike,Cotton ain't EVER coming back.  The new materials are just so far superior; they hold their color pretty much forever, wick away moisture instead of making you wear a wet bag on summer days, and hang dry with no wrinkles in nothing flat.  Only the very best cotton shirts even approach this, and they are not only crazy expensive, but still far, far inferior.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Perhaps more to the point of can you, is the question "SHOULD you?".  To look good in a shirt like that, it has to be relatively tight, and you have to be relatively fit.  Mickelson would look like the Michelin Man in a mock turtle, as would most of us.  Tiger can still pull it off, which is a tribute to his fitness level.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
I mean...I love tradition and take my hat off indoors, but cmon...

What is a collar other than two extra flaps of material looped together around one's neck?    Oh..and 2 or 3 buttons.    ;D
Mike, I agree 100%; it's a dopey distinction at best, and quite symbolic of the sort of thinking that golf does NOT need.  There should always be reasonable standards for dress, and I even get the thing at some clubs about shorts and long pants, though I suspect none of those are in the South. 

But a collar that lies down instead of standing up, and has buttons that may or may not be buttoned vs. a shirt that lacks buttons?  Give me a break...

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 03:17:25 PM »
When I hear the term "mock turtle", I can't help but remember the Dickie.   My mom actually had us wear these things on cold winter days.   I recall that kids who wore a dark one with a light shirt had unsightly Dickie see-through.   

Now, I'd be in favor of banning these from the game.   Even uglier than the long putter.  ;) 

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
My wife and I fly a bit but nothing unusual. What is odd is that everyone at the airport knows us and calls us by name before we present identification. I had thought this odd until I took a look around while boarding a flight Sunday morning. When did the White Walkers get air miles? While I don't mind saying she is quite stunning and pulls of the "WTF is she doing with him" vibe quite well. It simply is a matter of presenting yourself in a way perhaps of days gone by. We are not gone by yet on the golf course and I have trouble understanding why anyone wants to be. The burning of Notre Dame should remind us all of the importance of a beautiful aesthetic.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
Image result for dave hill golfer us open

Dave Hill (And Palmer) - 1970 US Open.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Daryl David

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »
Winged Foot and Baltusrol covered their annual shop costs for years by selling high end slacks to guests that didn’t know it was long pants only for golf.

You can add LACC to that list. I saw the lockeroom attendant round up a pair of slacks for a guest by raiding a member’s locker. Hope he had them cleaned before putting them back.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »
Winged Foot and Baltusrol covered their annual shop costs for years by selling high end slacks to guests that didn’t know it was long pants only for golf.

You can add LACC to that list. I saw the lockeroom attendant round up a pair of slacks for a guest by raiding a member’s locker. Hope he had them cleaned before putting them back.

Winged Foot has shorts and they sell pink shirts too:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

mike_beene

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 12:29:24 AM »
Dave Hill looked like such a happy man. The clothes don't help.
The shirt that should be banned is the Mickelson office button down.
A backwards hat is the fastest way to get a letter at my place. Only appropriate for , as my grandfather called them: "hind catchers"
I am fine with mock turtlenecks but never a hat in the house.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 12:52:17 AM »

Winged Foot has shorts and they sell pink shirts too:

10 West?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 02:22:16 AM »
The presence or otherwise of a collar on a shirt seems to me to be of the utmost irrelevance.

The thing that really gets my 18 year-old son's goat about golfing attire is the insistence on tucking one's shirt into one's trousers.

Apparently, only sad-fuck old "boomers" tuck their shirts into their pants.  :) 

I think he has a point. If we're so worried about aesthetics why not a ban on anyone with a waist size of more than 38"?  ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:32:57 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »
I have no problem with the mock turtle necks.  I personally like that the dress of oneself reflects the respect shown for where you are.  I like hats forward, no hats indoors, shirts tucked in (although when I was heavier I had a hard time), using the locker room to change shoes, etc.

I am saddened when I go to church nowadays and see people in t shirts or flip flops. I think you dress appropriately for where you are and church was and IMO still should be one of those places. It used to be called "your Sunday's best" as in your nice formal dress. I guess in today's world they are just happy to have people going to church.  If you go to church in Europe/UK they dress much more formal and I appreciate that.

Private clubs or higher end publics having a dress code is a safeguard against falling into the guy who is the least common denominator and trashes the traditional dress code guidelines.  If you don't have a policy it will denigrate rapidly and respect for the game has then been tank tops and whatever the golfer wants it to be.  There is a place for that and it is at a public course with no dress code.

If you go to a funeral you can tell those who are close to the deceased by how they dress, which is more formal.  While great that they came, in my experience those not as close will be dress less formally in jeans and a collared shirt perhaps.  Just a phenomenon I have noticed and not passing judgment, but the more respect you have for a place the more formally you respect it.

Whether this fits with millennial I don't know and maybe doubt, however shouldn't they be taught some norms of some respected entities and asked to conform as opposed to the other way around?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V. Kmetz

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

David Wuthrich

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
Nope, must be a collared shirt

Sam Andrews

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2019, 07:05:32 AM »

10 West?

Nope... 3 East

I am afraid, gentlemen, you will need to go to the pro's shop and buy some long socks.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »
Kinda funny how arbitrary Dress Codes are as a general rule.....almost religious in nature as it reminds me of similar comments/rules I heard back in my church going days...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
Heard a interesting take on dress code generally the other day - “If you can buy the style in our pro-shop you can wear it on the course. If not, you can’t.”
Atb

JMEvensky

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »

Kinda funny how arbitrary Dress Codes are as a general rule.....almost religious in nature as it reminds me of similar comments/rules I heard back in my church going days...

Very few club issues are as polarizing as dress codes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back