News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

i think our bylaws say no. Do they need to change? Could he wear the same thing at Augusta? Could I?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT -Can you wear a mock shirt like Tiger wore at most clubs?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:45:58 AM »
I don't know about ANGC but I think the answer is yes. It really isn't much different from a turtleneck. I have worn them, although many years ago, at clubs and no one said a word.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:28:58 AM »
Aren't fat people hard enough to look at already?

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
 ;D 8)

Kavanaugh buff and svelte, maybe ? I love the shirts. It wasn't Tigers best look yesterday but they comfy!

Us old guys can remember Munsingware penguins were prevalent in the late 60's, early 70's
Let em go baby

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
No, I'm tres hermanas myself. Which explains why I never wear shorts on an airplane.

Speaking of shorts. I have a 22 year old son and it seems like young men are going back to shorter shorts. Is the rule that a gentleman's short is within 4" of the knee also antiquated?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »

Speaking of shorts. I have a 22 year old son and it seems like young men are going back to shorter shorts. Is the rule that a gentleman's short is within 4" of the knee also antiquated?

Surfers still have long shorts - https://us.oneill.com/collections/mens-shorts/22-inch
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »
Swim wear is specifically banned.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:14 AM »
What I wondered about more than Tiger's shirt was his son's hat. Before I attended the Amateur last week, I had read that wearing your cap backwards was an Augusta no-no.Buck Showalter must not be a member these days.By the way, I thought both attire decisions were fine.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
Swim wear is specifically banned.

Click the link Bro!! Surfers do not drink Pacifico's in wet shorts :)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
Last picture you posted of those guys had some dude pissing in public. I love you but surfboardatlas...not so much.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
No, I'm tres hermanas myself. Which explains why I never wear shorts on an airplane.

Depends on where you wish to play while sporting said shorts.

Fishers Island? Nope - no mock turtleneck, no short shorts.

Whisper Rock? No problem.

Nike has been pushing (on tour) those collar-less "collared" shirts (not the mock thingee) for years worn by Rory, Tiger and the legions of Nike endorsees who all dress like the "clone army".

But, this may draw some ire here, if you show up at a relevant private club sporting one of those Nike shirts, you may get off the first tee, but you will be the object of quiet yet substantial ridicule.

Cargo shorts...?...you will draw a "red flag" and be asked to change.

"Hey look, that guy just walked out of Dick's Sporting goods and asked for the "Rory" look." (Or the "Rickie" orange Puma, or the "Sergio" striped adidas look.)

But, remember...the Masters IS GOOD for golf... ;) ...I mean business.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
Last picture you posted of those guys had some dude pissing in public.

Often wrong, never in doubt. The things you do not understand about NYC....  :)  And yes, I just turned into a NLU poster :)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
I suppose the correct answer will be, "You can now!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
No mocks at my club. Thankfully.

I had a client come in for a round with a mock he bought from Oakmont and was shocked he couldn't wear it.
Mr Hurricane

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »
And we wonder why the Millennial generation is turned off by golf?

Hey, I wouldn't wear one to a club if I had any doubt but neither would I wear a long red jacket and tie which at one point was all the "proper" fashion.   Ditto Munsingwear.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »

Hey, I wouldn't wear one to a club if I had any doubt but neither would I wear a long red jacket and tie which at one point was all the "proper" fashion.   Ditto Munsingwear.

Totally agree. I don’t wear cargo shorts, but why do clubs ban them?   Simple answer. Most members are too old to have worn them when they were younger. Yet we allow John Daly type clothes. 

Dave Maberry

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
This discussion is similar to 15 years ago when mock tees were being worn.

Tiger wore a similar shirt during his last Masters victory in 2005. The circle continues ...

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »

EXACTLY!!

The Masters does NOT help...;p-)

(Sorry, VK....just messing with you.... ;D

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:44 AM »
I mean...I love tradition and take my hat off indoors, but cmon...

What is a collar other than two extra flaps of material looped together around one's neck?    Oh..and 2 or 3 buttons.    ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
I mean...I love tradition and take my hat off indoors, but cmon...

What is a collar other than two extra flaps of material looped together around one's neck?    Oh..and 2 or 3 buttons.    ;D

Or, in other words, it's a "tucked-in MuMu".... ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
While you may breath through your nose, your chins need to breath too.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
Winged Foot and Baltusrol covered their annual shop costs for years by selling high end slacks to guests that didn’t know it was long pants only for golf.

David Amarnek

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 11:05:58 AM »
I’m not certain if it’s permissible at any of the clubs where I belong, however a short sleeve mock turtleneck is not allowed at my brother’s club outside of Philly.  A number of years ago I brought a number of anesthesiologist colleagues of mine from St. Louis to Philly for golf.  My brother meets us in the parking lot of his club and the chief of this group is wearing said mock turtleneck.  My brother informs him that it is not appropriate attire and that he’ll be happy to buy him a shirt in the pro shop (which nearly everyone would gladly purchase).  To everyone’s surprise, the fellow says that he doesn’t intend to buy a shirt just to play at this top-tier course and that it was a stupid rule.  I was pissed and embarrassed and told him to wait in the car and we’d be back in about 4 hours.  My brother, to his credit, allowed this guy to use one of his extra shirts stored in his locker and we all played our round, despite the awkwardness of the situation.

Funny thing, yesterday, one of the other guys on that trip, so long ago, sent me a sarcastic email wondering how ANGC would allow such attire on their course.  We can laugh about it now, but back then it was one of the worst experiences I’ve had bringing guests to Philly. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »
I’m not certain if it’s permissible at any of the clubs where I belong, however a short sleeve mock turtleneck is not allowed at my brother’s club outside of Philly.  A number of years ago I brought a number of anesthesiologist colleagues of mine from St. Louis to Philly for golf.  My brother meets us in the parking lot of his club and the chief of this group is wearing said mock turtleneck.  My brother informs him that it is not appropriate attire and that he’ll be happy to buy him a shirt in the pro shop (which nearly everyone would gladly purchase).  To everyone’s surprise, the fellow says that he doesn’t intend to buy a shirt just to play at this top-tier course and that it was a stupid rule.  I was pissed and embarrassed and told him to wait in the car and we’d be back in about 4 hours.  My brother, to his credit, allowed this guy to use one of his extra shirts stored in his locker and we all played our round, despite the awkwardness of the situation.

Funny thing, yesterday, one of the other guys on that trip, so long ago, sent me a sarcastic email wondering how ANGC would allow such attire on their course.  We can laugh about it now, but back then it was one of the worst experiences I’ve had bringing guests to Philly.

David-As a guest it’s either when in Rome or stay home.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Forget the cut, how about the fabric?  Back in the late 70's we'd set off a "leisure alert" at the frat house when some freshman came trough rush wearing a leisure suit.  There is absolutely no size of synthetic that looks good on us big boys.  There was zero cotton in the Masters golf shop.  Bring it back.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back