News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Thursday at The Masters - Bogey's Report
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
 Thanks to the kindness of a Great American, your Hillbilly Tour correspondent was on site Thursday at The Masters and files this report:
CONDITIONING:  This was my 7th day on site dating to 1989 so I am no longer overwhelmed by conditioning.  I do think criticism of the conditioning under the mantra of “The Augusta Effect” is unwarranted.  The timing of the event and transitional weather in the South dictate the selection of ryegrass for an ideal playing surface.   I cannot fathom that critics would not welcome the opportunity to play from such a surface every day for rest of their lives.  And yes, the ball does roll out from the tee and if necessary the ground game could be utilized for low running approaches, though the greens were not designed to make that a friendly and reasonable tactic with perhaps the exception of the 5th, 8th, 11th and 14th.  I assume as a noted golf course architect Jack Nicklaus feels compelled to comment on the set up, but I disagree with his contention that the elimination of rough – here a misnomer if there ever was one, would result in more balls running into the trees.  The ball bounces quite well through the second cut though it looked longer this year than I recall. If Jack wants more balls in the pines, he should advocate that the pine straw be limited to what falls naturally from the trees.  Of course, the look would not be appealing and the gallery traffic would sully the ground.  On a personal note, I am not a fan of the uniform application of pine straw and the tenuous stance and lies that are created.  I should also add that I’m no fan of the sleepers on a renowned course in England either as I don’t believe architecture elementals should be available for sale at the local Home Depot.  But that’s just me. 
As for the trees, it is apparent that a significant number of pines were planted at the course’s inception and the much maligned shute from the 18th tee existed day one. That said, a return of the small bunker in the 11th fairway placed one-third of the way in from the right hand side would justify eliminating The Forest of No Return and give the player an option off the tee to challenge that bunker and align a right-side tee shot down the length of the green.  As for the 7th, just take out the trees and let the player have his way.  I should at this point say that I’m no big fan of the 7th and the ubiquitous greenside bunkering.  But for the odd front-right tongue, I prefer the original with the front bank maintained as fairway, more closely mimicking the Valley of Sin as intended.  Maybe maintain it as green space to the bottom of the bank.  That would also accommodate run up punches from the trees.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:03:32 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

Re: Thursday at The Masters - Bogey's Report
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »
 Architecture:  Let me get this out of the way:  the 1st, 5th and 14th greens are all world.  I can’t fathom how even the world’s elite players parred the first with the hole location on the tiny table-top in the back right corner.  I don’t have the ability to articulate how great these greens are – you must see and study them in person to draw your own conclusion.  The viewing stands at each green make a perfect laboratory for such a study.  The 2nd and 16th greens have an awkward modernity in appearance, but contribute to the sum total nonetheless through the challenge and options provided – stated otherwise, they work.  In the words of Sean Arble “I have a lot of time for” the 3rd, 8th and 13th greens as well as they so suit the ground that precedes them.  In particular if missed putts are any indication there is far more movement than meets the eye at the 3rd and 8th where the subtleties often fooled the world’s best. 
Speaking of the 3rd  many younger players took driver from the tee since the hole location in the green’s back-middle was approachable from 30 to 50 yards out.  Their second shots that I witnessed, however were as a group no closer than those played from well back at the crest of the rise in the fairway.  Moreover the longer tee shots migrated left down the slope of the fairway making the pitch much more uphill.  More than one player from down there found their spinning lob running out of real estate and trickling into the short cut less than 15 feet from the pin.  For the life of me I don’t understand how they got up and down back from back there but it was surprisingly routine with a nipped wedge.  As for the 8th pardon the hyperbole but I think it might be the best par five in the world.  Certainly, one of the most elastic.  With the tee well back the r ght side fairway bunker could not be carried and when coupled with an extreme back hole location resulted in what was essentially a  three shot double-dogleg.  The second shot was critical given the back hole location as the player was asked to accurately judge distance up the steep hill to align his 3rd down the spin of the narrow green.  Few were able to do so and typically carried the ball beyond the ideal spot, leaving a dicey pitch over the mounding along the right side of the green.  At first blush the mounding is visually startling but it’s utility is brilliant, even along the left side of the green as it slightly bleeds onto the putting surface and likely compounds the reading of putts on that side.  I would like to see the tee marker moved forward with the bigger hitter given the option to carry the gaping fairway bunker and setting up a good angle to approach the green with his second, ideally to a front pin for a potential eagle.  By the way, the stands left of the 17th green are a great spot from which to watch tee shots at the 8th and get a feel for the relative distance of the players as the landing area is readily visible.  I’d also recommend the 2nd and 11th tees for a quiet respite from the crowd to watch these guys launch the ball. 
I have fallen out of love with the 7th and 9th and 15th holes.  The 9th simply fights the land a bit hard though moving the tee back seems to result in leaving the tee shot at the top of the hill.  The 15th places too much of a premium on the tee ball and strategically might be the tightest drive on the course.    Virtually every player has the length to reach the green in two and the third is so difficult that I can’t see any of the players laying up for strategic purposes – only if they have a tree problem.  With the hole location on the narrower left side of the green even the best played, spinning pitches found their way to the back edge of the green.   The right-hand greenside bunker looks pretty inviting to old Bogey.  Hopefully the grass on the bank is grown out for member play, at the 15th as well as the 12th and 13th.  Nevertheless the 15th is a great tournament hole with very little separating a score of 3 and 7. 
While there was some griping about the proximity of hole locations near the edge of greens, notably at the 14th, I give the set-up committee a lot of credit.  When you have perhaps the best set of greens in the world challenging the best players in the world, deploy every square foot.  I wish more superintendents thought this way as it is the simplest tool available to drive strategy, even at a pedestrian golf course. 
More to follow.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
When you're working at this level of detail & insight, it should be "Mike's" Report and not "Bogey's". As "Bogey" you've been hiding your architectural light under a bushel for far too long!
Enjoyed those posts, Mike - please do continue to share your thoughts on your day at the Masters

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Nice read. Thanks for sharing.
Atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
On the inward nine misses that are short spell disaster whereas on another course it’s the smart or safe play. Short and left on 11 and short on 12,13,15,16 are all dead on arrival.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
This is a fine report

ChipRoyce

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
To your comment re: rough
I feel the removal of the rough would restore / add additional strategy to the course.
Those that bomb the ball, would have to be more selective about their shots due to the ability for the ball to run out, farther off line.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
Great stuff and well thought out, Bogey.  Cheers!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »
PATRONAGE:  I first attended The Masters during practice rounds in 1989.  Complimentary parking was available on what is now the new practice area.  After a 2 minute walk we plopped down $8 ($10 on Tuesday) for a stick-on badge and strolled in.  My how logistics have grown.  After parking in the massive lots east of the property Thursday I entered the south gate, queuing up with others to be led in small groups to the entry, sliding by Berckman’s Place on the right along a beautiful walkway.  I listened intently but could detect no strains of “It’s a small world after all.”  The staff was delightful and the mood among the faithful patrons simply euphoric.  A deep thinker, I could not help but wonder if the world would always be this way if Adam and Eve hadn’t ruined it for the rest of us. Thoughts of an imminent income tax filing and colonoscopy – two events, not one, dissipated as I finally reached the end of the paved entry and stepped onto the familiar ryegrass off the fifth fairway and left the troubles of this world behind.  As a sitter, not a follower I headed out for my usual routine, only this time eschewing the stands behind the 1st green for a seat right of the 3rd green.  I strongly suggest my typical game plan, punt the chair and migrate through the stands, hitting those behind the 1st, 5th and 8th greens.  After a brief cooling down behind the 2nd of 11th tee it’s on to the stands along the left side of the 14th tee for watching the action at the 13th green, then hitting the stands right of the 14th green before heading back down the hill to watch the final groups form the stands left of the pond at 15th.  From there it’s a total of 15 minutes to the interstate and back to NashVegas.  Not recommended for the first timer, but it works for me.

OBSERVATIONS FROM AN OLD FOGEY:  Tournament golf is apparently a grim endeavor as the only aggrieved people on the property were the golfers.  I cannot fathom golf without joy. One of the lasting images from my day was to observe Vijay Singh and Angel Cabrera lumbering down the beautiful fairways in a demeanor that reminds me of my own when mowing the grass.  I can only wonder what crossed Singh’s mind when the caddy inevitably pulled out that long, balking putter 18 times during the round.   Not a particularly fan of either man I surely hope there is some consolation in them wrapping their hands around the grip and stepping into their stance for their swings remain elegant and the ball still soars toward the intended target.  I felt a twinge of sadness that at 61 I’ve let my game deteriorate so dramatically.  You ask if Augusta is good for the game?  Well, it was damned good for me as I just might give it another go this year.  I also witnessed an incident that troubled me slightly.  Cooling out behind the 11th tee I watched as a participant launched his drive into the Forest of no Return – perhaps now better dubbed Tiger’s Ally, and in anger took another violent swing of the driver through thin air.  Unbeknownst to him, another member of the group had begun to step in to tee his ball and was forced into a quick bob and weave, his eyes the size of a coffee cup saucer.  He was as astonished as I was and it is not hyperbole to suggest that what could have occurred would have been the most unfortunate event in major golf history (even worse than the aforementioned Cabrera ruining Hillbilly Tour professional idol Kenny Perry’s only chance for a Green Jacket.)  There were audible grasps from the small gathering of patrons.  I will withhold names as there is always the possibility that tournament officials are monitoring my posts, though the guy has it coming.   

I think it’s wonderful that the tournament provides employment for so many young people, including the young men who directed patrons to open urinals in the men’s restroom.   This staffing was lost on your correspondent, however as I learned to detect and occupy empty urinals at an early age, a skill that has not, like so many others diminished with time.  I did like the older gentleman with a wonderful baritone voice who asked “front nine or back nine” as we entered.  I also continue to marvel at those who laud the wonderful pimento cheese sandwiches for $1.50.  They were a relative staple of our household growing up and Mom would make a gallon of the stuff when we loaded up the camper and headed to some national park somewhere.  The joke is on the patrons, as I’m fairly sure it costs about $0.45 to make a good pimento cheese sandwich, leaving the club with a pretty nifty profit. 

I must also add that as a true lover of the game, I just don’t get Berckman’s Place.  Who the heck wants to miss any time at all on the golf course watching it challenge, frustrate and reward the greatest players in the world.  I arrived at 8 a.m. and departed at 6:00 p.m. and it went by in the blink of an eye.  Bogey's a sucker for unlimited food and beverage (assuming there is no time limit), but my guess is that anyone who invites you to visit Berckman's fully intends to get in your pocket big-time down the road.  The event is so grand that I don’t understand why it needs a two acres pavilion for folks to sit around and discuss how great it is to be great.  Heck, I’ve played three rounds of golf and had two meals with Tom Doak – isn’t that as good as it gets? 

A final wrap-up later. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:45:14 PM by Michael H »

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »
To your comment re: rough
I feel the removal of the rough would restore / add additional strategy to the course.
Those that bomb the ball, would have to be more selective about their shots due to the ability for the ball to run out, farther off line.

Agreed. But I'm not holding my breath for either of us to see that.

As for the 8, pardon the hyperbole but I think it might be the best par five in the world.  Certainly, one of the most elastic.

I'll note simply that you forgot to include the qualifier, "aside from the 12th at Oakmont". :) Excellent reports otherwise, look forward to reading more.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Justin Hill

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Great contribution, Bogey.  You were part of my introduction to GCA, so I have to watch my unconscious biases, but to me you shared some original and witty thoughts.  I find it hard to disagree with how 7 and 11 could be improved.  Most seem to feel similar about 11 except those who make the call.  Glad you were inspired get your game back and I hope we can get on a course again at some point this year.  Having a camera record every single shot (that's pretty neat), I would think "they" know who almost killed another player- and the rest of us might be able to figure it out.  Impressive about the young man letting you know about the urinals- does make me wonder what the equivalent is if you're in Berckman's.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
This is my first post in many, many moons but the words of the Hillbilly tour founder/ceo have brought me out of my hibernation.  I know most will lay claim to  Faulkner as the poet laureate of the South, but with lines like "tax filing and colonoscopy two events, not one" I have a feeling that Bogey is more of a student of the southern stylings of Lewis Grizzard. 

Great stuff Bogey..hope things in the Music City are going well.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »
What ho Dale!

Like Grizzard's Boyhood Friend and Idol Wayman C. Wannamaker, Jr. you are a Great American.

Justin, I was humbled by your long ball - let me work on the old game a tad.

Cheers, gentlemen,

Bogey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back