News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Way OT - Go Bernie, Go!
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
Bernhard Langer shoots a 1-under 71 in the first round of the Masters. He is something else.

jeffwarne

Re: Way OT - Go Bernie, Go!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:58:05 PM »
Followed him all 18-25 putts

"I don't normally drink beer, but when I do, I can't always wait to finish the round to enjoy a Bernard "Lager"

after making par from between 2 kegs-(hit a tree and kcked dead left into concession stand)

That is a bad area on 18(multiple bushes and unlimbed trees)-not that far left of where shorter hitter is trying to hit it.
Was Ok when it was 170 yards off the tee-now it's the weirdest area on the course (in play off the tee)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »
When I saw the Way OT I thought this was going to be a Bernie Sanders post...
H.P.S.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
I thought Bernie Sanders had signed up for the Hundred Hole Hike!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »
I thought Bernie Sanders had signed up for the Hundred Hole Hike!
:)

I very much share David's sentiments, but the thread title was confusing: Langer has lived 60 + years (and could live another 600 years) without ever once being called 'Bernie'.
Except this one time...

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:43:44 AM »
 Langer has lived 60 + years (and could live another 600 years) without ever once being called 'Bernie'.

Peter -

Not quite true. On page 215 of Michael Bamberger's The Green Road Home (published 1986), he quotes Steve Elkington referring to Mr. Langer as "ole Bernie." ;)

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
"Ole Bernie" shot even par today to make the cut with ease. Clearly the only player over 60 years to make the cut, I suspect he will also be the only player over 50 years to make it.

jeffwarne

Re: Way OT - Go Bernie, Go! New
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
On Thursday I was walking with Dave Marr III who has guest appeared and cohosted on my show multiple times and vice versa-super nice, very knowledgeable guy and veteran in the media who never big times anyone.
He often stays with Bernhard in Florida and they are very good friends, and they are sharing a house this week.

he referred to him as Bernie multiple times

He's "Mr. Langer" to me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:45:34 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
David - it really is remarkable, especially because from what I can tell it's not smoke and mirrors, ie I've been 'following' him on shot tracker, and it's one solid drive after another, one crisp (and smart) approach after another -- from never a long hitter on a long wet golf course. A testament to his physical, mental and spiritual stengths; and has been said a million times before, a testament to Augusta's true and abiding greatness as a course/design: that the very best do indeed shine there, but the once-young greats (like Nicklaus in '98 and Langer now) are allowed a way to give the best a run for their money.
P
Jeff - I don't know Dave Marr III's work very well, but for me there was never a more charming and pleasant guide to tournament golf than Dave Marr. (He told the story of playing the Masters with Palmer in the hunt and going for a back nine Par 5 in two over the creek, and just after he hit it anxiously asking him: 'Is it over? Did it get over, Dave?' and Marr answering 'Hell, Arnold -- even your divot got over!')

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back