News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Machrihanish Club House Fund
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
The club is seeking donation’s for their replacement clubhouse.  Just saw this link in my club’ newsletter:

Click here if you would like to donate [/size]https://www.gofundme.com/machrihanish-golf-club-clubhouse-fund[/color]

Neil Regan

Re: Machrihanish Club House Fund
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:37:31 PM »
James,

Thanks for posting this.
I posted the same link a few days ago.
IMO, a good cause.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67009.0.html
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:15:00 AM »
Neil/James

I’m a big fan of Machrihanish as a course and certainly don’t wish the club any harm however I note that despite being fully insured they are looking for charity to build something grander. How does that chime with the other thread on “How to put a golf course out of business” ?

To my mind the two most detrimental things that a lot of UK clubs have been guilty of over the last 50 years have been uncontrolled and ill-considered planting of trees and shrubs on the course, and secondly expense extensions and rebuilding of clubhouses when times were good. While trees and shrubs can be readily removed, expensive buildings remain and often become expensive white elephants. I’d hate to see Machrihanish go down this route.

Niall 

Ari Techner

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »
From my understanding while the club was fully insured the settlement is not covering all the loss including the many sets of clubs that the members lost in the fire.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 08:36:58 AM »
Ari

That's as may be but if I recall Neil's post correctly, they were looking for money to spend on the clubhouse on top of the insurance money.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »

Ari,

I think it says in the article that the insurance would allow them to rebuild what was there but the club wants to upgrade a few things.

Niall,

well said.

Ari Techner

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »

Ari,

I think it says in the article that the insurance would allow them to rebuild what was there but the club wants to upgrade a few things.

Niall,

well said.

Fair enough.  Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »
I forget the numbers but when Royal Mid Surrey burnt down something like 500 sets of clubs were claimed for yet the fire brigade found evidence of less than 100 sets of remains.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:14 AM »
I forget the numbers but when Royal Mid Surrey burnt down something like 500 sets of clubs were claimed for yet the fire brigade found evidence of less than 100 sets of remains.

Guess all those hickory shafted clubs burn away to nothing  ;D

Peter Flory

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 03:20:50 PM »

Those firemen must be very dishonest. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 04:41:26 PM »
From the club's Go Fund Me page:

BUT…….the insurance settlement does not allow for all the improvements we would like to make in this unique opportunity. One of the most important of these is an indoor practice room.

Given one of the most important planned improvement is an indoor practice room, I don't think we will have to worry much about the club constructing a gilded palace.  ;)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »

Given one of the most important planned improvement is an indoor practice room, I don't think we will have to worry much about the club constructing a gilded palace.  ;)

An indoor practice room might consist of a brolly  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back