News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Did anyone take photos of High Pointe?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Here is a copy of Ran's nonexistent review of High Pointe:

https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/high-pointe/

Based on his review I don't doubt that at one time the 13th was a fine hole.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
13th - “the single best green built in America in the last 60 yrs.”
High praise indeed.
Are there any candidates to better it since?
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
My photos aren't labeled and it's been so long, I would need some help describing the holes. But happy to post photos sometime if others (especially Tom) could provide commentary.

I visited High Pointe before I ever played in England, but it was a course I now could easily see at home in the UK.

John:

I’m overseas with my wife through the first of April, but I would be happy to provide commentary for some of your photos the week I return.

It would be great to do a few shots from 1989 for comparison- those trees were three feet tall when we built the course - but unfortunately all of my pictures from back then are slides, not digital.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. Everything I read points to the notion that High Pointe was a better course than Quail Crossing. Is this so?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 07:07:30 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. Everything I read points to the notion that High Pointe was a better course than Quail Crossing. Is this so?

Quite a bit better, I think.  I had them at 8 and 6 on the Doak Scale when they were in good shape.  Many people might have said one point lower.  High Pointe was the only course where I shaped all 18 greens myself, and there was a lot of variety in them.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
Tom,

I took about 150 or so photos about two to three years before it closed.  Still vividly remember that round as I played later in the day, walked and had the course to myself.

If interested, I’ll try to post them on Monday.  Where can I host my photos from to post them?

Thanks,
Chris

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
John,

I pulled these off page 2 from the other thread i bumped:

View from 13 tee in first few years after creation...

Nearly 20 years later

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Wow SUCH a difference in vibe between those two timeframes!

In the top picture, I almost get a wide-open rolling feel of the Pac NW....the bottom is more of a Northwoods closed-in feel.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:46:23 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Peter Flory

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
Different seasons as well. 

Dave Maberry

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
Tom,

Working on your "routing book"?  Is this, somewhat specific, book going to make it into the public domain and be available for purchase?

And apropos High Pointe .... is there a thread here on GCA that discusses its merits/demerits!?

Colin:

I’ve always wanted to write about how I route courses, and I think the best way is using case studies of my own work.

The routing book (which will actually be two books due to its size) will cover the routings for all of my courses and how they came to be, using base maps and progressive routings for all of the courses, plus photos and text to help describe them.  There will be 8-16 pages devoted to each course.

It will be a very large format book (so the topo maps are big enough to read), and a limited edition.  It will be quite expensive, too, since it will cost a lot to print in fairly low quantity.  We will start taking pre-orders this summer and deliver the volume that covers the first half of my courses (everything up to and including St Andrews Beach) before Christmas.

There were threads about High Pointe many years ago, and Ran even had a profile of it (which was removed after it closed).

Tom,

Is the routing book going to be "Getting to 18" which is discussed in The Golf Journal volume No. 6 article "Crossing the Divide"? Still shooting for a 2019 release?

Dave 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back