News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Macpherson

Harry Colt Report from 1911
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:51 AM »
Hi There,

I recently bought the new book on the work of Colt & Alison in North America by A. Gholz Jr (which I think is terrific in adding to our knowledge of Colt & Co) and it made me dig back into some of my old files that I compiled when I was researching Harry Colt for the 'Colt Course' I designed at Close House in the UK some years back. In my 'Colt File' a have a report from 1911. I seemed to have acquired this in 2009, but sadly did not make a note of the source. I also don't know who wrote the letter... However, I am sure that some of my learned friends on this site may have seen this letter before and may enlighten us on its origin. In any regard, as there is broad interest in the work of Harry Colt I feel that, even without providing full source details, this document should be in the public forum so others conducting Colt research can have every possible snippet of information to help paint a picture of the remarkable man.

Best,

Scott

Marty Bonnar

Re: Harry Colt Report from 1911
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:22:30 AM »
Author maybe someone at Sutton’s?
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's Sutton's day book, though it is hard to read with my short sight. Tony M has seen the originals in a museum or archive somewhere.

Edited to add: 1911 is the earliest I have seen any evidence of Colt having any involvement with George Franks or Claude Harris. They didn't actually start Franks Harris Bros until 1914.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:54:08 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »
Greetings all. Scott if anyone else sent you those, I'd be interested to hear? It's probably best if youdon't put any more up as the University library are mentioning fees for reproducing images ...but I'm sure this will be OK.

Yes its a day book kept by one of the Sutton brothers.  Since finding these I have lost two computers with no back up and only just learnt about Cloud, but if all else goes to plan I get my office/man cave/den/escape room ready around Easter and the transcriptions of these will follow later this year.

Basically Hawtree wrote about this relationship in his Biography but there's lots of details he couldn't have known  Colt obviously told  the industry what his role was and whilst they reveal him to be an astute businessman they also demonstrate he wasn't greedy and wanted to ensure Sutton's got value too.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:50:12 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »
Hi Tony,

Very sorry – your first para has certainly got me scratching my head...

I certainly can't recall where I got this document from. My guess is that I came across it when researching Harry Colt in 2008/9. It could have been in a golf club archive, at a library, or somewhere else. I'd be very happy to credit the source if....only I knew it....

Are you thinking that you could have had a copy of it and/or sent it to me??? If so, it's cool that I could have saved it from demise :)

Scott

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 04:52:51 AM »
Scott

As far as I know I'm the only person who has seen these and it look like one of my photo's. 

PS the first para had some size of text issues and is now clearer. Frankly this is why I now rarely post as longer attempts are often mysteriously 'edited'.
Let's make GCA grate again!

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
Please keep us posted as you guys untangle the mysterious source for this.

Colt's comments on Willie Park are fascinating.

"[Colt] says Willie Park is undoubtedly doing a great deal of work in connection with laying out Courses, but he does not think he has by any means a preponderance of influence." 

Lots of interesting history packed in that sentence.

Bob

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
Hi,

Yes, the report has a number of very interesting sentences. I like the passage: 'He is extremely pleased at having been called in at St Andrews, which he considerers the greatest feather in his cap that has come his way so far.'

By the way Bob, re your selected quote – just for accuracy – the last words are '...means a preponderating influence.'

Scott

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »
Hi,

Yes, the report has a number of very interesting sentences. I like the passage: 'He is extremely pleased at having been called in at St Andrews, which he considerers the greatest feather in his cap that has come his way so far.'

By the way Bob, re your selected quote – just for accuracy – the last words are '...means a preponderating influence.' :)

Scott

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the correction. I must have unintentionally corrected the original malapropism.

To repeat, an interesting sentence. I would love to know more about Colt's views of Park, especially after Colt's changes to Park's original Sunningdale Old. But also more generally.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back