News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Hobson's Choice: "Yip or sip?" New
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »
Those who have endured my whirling dervish persona would never describe me as an evangelist for iron-willed sobriety - 170-odd Grateful Dead treatments had seemingly cured me of any tendency towards moderation, or moral probity where hottie hippy chicks were concerned.

The specter of testicle removal by Her Redness took care of the latter some years ago. For those in the know, Redheads are like dobermans, great protection - but they WILL bite their owner at the slightest provocation. 

But my former vice of tequila - often followed by actions of questionable judgment - finally ended quietly last summer, meant as a demarcation of my new life, free of more than 16 years of ex-wife-driven litigation insanity. The driving force was my Armenian doctor’s query on how soon I wanted a collection of chopped off toes in a mason jar; evidently, my blood sugar numbers were even higher than my golf scores.   

Mr. Booze actually did a tolerably good job of keeping the accumulated toxic terrors hidden, but sobriety churned up the poisons at the bottom the lake - and coming to grips with the reality of all those lost years nearly drove me over the guardrail and into the searing pit of perdition.

Since baring my soul to a sullen gaggle of chain-smoking bozos at an AA Meeting was never going to work, I opted for a return to my herbal roots and, to quote Harry Vardon “Just kept on hitting the ball.”

I’m not sure whether my tireless support of the blue agave industry contributed to my malady - or divorce case that never ends - but there is no denying the inexorable creep of "whiskey fingers” (read: yips) eventually migrated from delicate chip shots to shaky, electro-shock hands with the flat stick.

When (even) marking your ball for a 3-footer is a challenge, breaking 80 suddenly requires hitting 16 greens - since 36 putts somehow became a tolerably good day on the dance floor.

Cack-handed, claw, broomstick, lefty on right-breakers, righty on left-breakers - I tried everything but shoving the grip up my fat ass and wiggling my butt at the ball - primarily because my new putter grip was a horse cock without the foreskin.   

Hitting nearly every fairway off the tee mattered not as I still finished last in the qualifier - a smooth 87, two years in a row. All future tournament or Member-Guest invitations were sadly relegated to the trash.

As it turns out, I’m more easily embarrassed in the throes of sobriety than one would think. By this point, my golfing Parkinson’s disease was bad enough for palliative hospice care - and even players in the lamplighter flights averted their eyes when I putted; some out of pity, the rest from naked fear of catching my incurable malady.     

Cajoling me into one last quixotic run up the hill took some doing doing - along with a promise by the Tournament Chair of seeding down in the 2nd flight, where nobody would notice this former champion putting with a Scotty Cameron squeezed between his butt cheeks. That was my backup plan in case I five-putted the first hole.

Knowing the hitch-a-twitches get progressively worse the closer my ball lies to the hole, I never even attempted a pre-match three-footer - while trying to ignore my opponent sneaking a peek at my mini-seizures.

I bravely walked by the bar when my name was called - and although the allure of some liquid courage was impossibly tempting, the vision of playing golf wearing a Tom Dempsey club-shoe with spikes carried me past the danger zone. After a smattering of applause and the usual “Play well” niceties, I displayed my peerless muscle memory by topping a tee shot less than 100 yards down the bone-dry desert fairway.

Great, I thought, wondering why I did not pack my bags before leaving the Brawley Inn hotel that morning. “Plenty of golf left,” chirped my congenitally cheerful cart-mate, still in earshot of the snickering gallery.

“See what quitting drinking will do to you?” chuckled one of my former hickory shaft notches back on the 1st tee, doubtless proud of his rousing earlier victory with a bye.

A drop-kicked 5-wood, followed by a thin-to-win rescue club somehow tottered up four feet from the hole, leaving a downhill, left-to-right slider with nothing to stop it but a pot-bunker. The task at hand seemed akin to trying to coax a Flintstone rock into a thimble, so the last place I expected that pellet to stop rolling was gently over the front lip of the cup.

The guy I was playing has always been a morose twat - the kind who needs a tetanus shot to concede his grandmother a six-incher. “Nice putt,” he snapped, having mentally already won the hole - expecting my usual spastic, palsy 3-jab.

There was no doubt that Golf God was taunting me, because the next hole my chip-shot wandered past the cup - you guessed it - right to four feet. I considered that rock-solid roll on the last hole an impossible fluke, so was expecting a return to reality when I stood over that par putt.

Morose Twat (not his real name, but we’ll just call him M.T. going forward) ran in a snake from the other end of the world and celebrated with a soft-shoe, convinced he’d shown Ol’ whiskey fingers who was gonna be the Alpha Dog the rest of the match.

But damn if my Lady Precept (still playing them) didn’t chase his Calloway down the same rabbit scrape for no-blood. Two holes later, I confidently rolled a 20 footer in for a tweeter - and M.T. suddenly and has a look on his face like I just took a shit on his birthday cake.

My old Ping sand wedge, more skull than chip the last ten years, suddenly felt like a familiar friend instead of a live rattlesnake.

By the turn, I was comfortable hitting a flop off dusty hardpan at what looked like a manhole instead of a thimble. The Sergio re-grip, twitch, ass-wiggle and re-grip again had evaporated into the ether, with no explanation.

Needing only to two-putt from three feet on #16 for the match, M.T. grunted a concession, half-heartedly extended a clammy paw and drove off with his tattered tail in a twist.

Still reeling from what seemed an epochal intervention by a benevolent space alien, Cheerful guy (whose match also ended on #16) and I rode in silence back towards the clubhouse.

Stopping to watch the tee shots of a marquee match, still battling on #18, Mr. Cheerful looked carefully at me out the corner of his eye: “Pretty good shootin‘ for last year’s high qualifier.”

Having sheepishly apologized to my opponent when my third roadmap dove in the hole, I admitted having “No clue where it came from” - but terrified the magic would disappear as fast as it came.

Cheerful guy suddenly blurted out, “A year after I quit drinking and joined AA, my yips disappeared, too.”

There has long been an unverified rumor that some Senior Tour pros were instantly cured of the yips after a cardiac incident, but there is no real data to suggest quitting drinking somehow reboots your neurosynapses.

Yet, most top-flight amateurs and touring professionals I have known who slammed their drams eventually went out on a banana peel with the flat stick, once the gray started to poke out their skulls.

The idea I've inadvertently made a permanent Faustian bargain with the angel on my shoulder - who I’ve mostly ignored since pledging my fraternity in 1977 - is frightening.

If it means my next bite out of the forbidden apple (brandy) will shrink the hole back into a shot glass, what’s next?

There is no point in playing liar's dice at the 19th hole, especially if the prize is an unsatisfying Diet Coke with a squeeze of lime.

To me,
golf and apres-golf conviviality, without the Devil’s poison, feels like a lifetime relegation to the Mormon table in the grill room; pussy and shank jokes are not as funny, standing around an unspiked punch bowl.

In my case, it is a Hobson’s Choice - but not one I accept gladly. For the rest of you, several questions:

#1. Does excessive use of alcohol eventually encourage the Yips?

#2. Absent booze, has anybody else had the same curative epiphany? 

#3. If you had to pick - battling the twitch palsy forever . . . . . or wine, song and bong, which will it be?

For the first time in my life, I am have difficulty meeting my food and beverage minimums at the Winged O. The club is strongly considering an emergency assessment to cover the shortfall.     

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:29:36 PM by Gib Papazian »

Peter Pallotta

Re: Hobson's Choice: "Yip or sip?"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
Beautiful.
I'm screwing up all my meager courage to follow your post -- like coming in after a Bird solo with two honks and a squeak.
Here goes:

Golf pros get the yips because they have nothing better to think about, nothing left to battle for, no more important goal (or person) in their lives - having earned all the money they'll ever need and having played more golf than is healthy for anyone but the already spoiled sons of Duke grads, the mind turns back on itself in the only challenging/absorbing way it has left, ie 'battling' the yips. It's the final proof that the ego is a liar and the father of lies, and that absent outside demands/duties we most of us rush headlong and happily to embrace that lie -- not to expose it but instead to keep it vibrant and alive.

But to the Armenian filmmaker and grocer's son, I say: you're not the same man who drank his way through a 15 year litigation, and so can't be the same man who now battles alcohol-induced yips; that particular narrative arc is from another (older) screenplay that's been tucked away in the bottom drawer for a long time, and rightly so (as you know in your heart of hearts). So: if there is no static 'subject' to be acted upon by the yips, there are no yips at all save for the ones the subject himself conjures up. Yes, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophies -- but the yips ain't one of them.

In short, my thoughts: drink again, or don't -- but make that choice for other reasons/rationales, and in the sure knowledge that for Armenians with a beloved Redhead in their life, the twitch palsy yips have nothing at all to do with it, and are more the result of an active imagination searching for an outlet. How about imagining yourself breaking 70 next time out instead?     

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:52:44 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
Gib,

Interesting question.  I played with a guy on occasion who was a terrific golfer, (+1 if memory serves me right).  Only thing we figured keeping him off at least one of the lesser tours was the yips.  He was superb tee to green and even did OK with longer putts.  But get him inside 5 feet and he struck out more often than a Mormon kid asking a girl for a date.

He spent years trying to fix it with endless drills, tips, and even saw a shrink for it....but to my knowledge never figured it out as its been several years since I've played with him.

P.S.  Speaking of Mormonism and drinking, (as a former one myself who never got drunk till I was almost 30), it makes me think of Johnny Miller who has allegedly been faithful aka sober his whole life. I'm not aware of a more high profile player who ever got the Yips, and balky putting in general.  I met him once in his playing days at a Mormon function and seemed nice enough...

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:48:17 PM »
Gib
Maybe being an alcohol-free, amiable amigo is better than being a dyspeptic dipsomaniac ...... maybe!

Cheers (so to speak!),

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
Kalen,

Yes, I was there to watch Johnny shoot 81 at Olympic - in a match against "Mr. I've won 20 majors, so nobody gets to criticize my bloody shit course designs." It was like watching electro-shock therapy - inflicted by sharp lash - 18 times in a row. There are some things one cannot "unsee" and on that day he became Typhoid Johnny. I'm not sure anybody was ever the same again after watching that level of public waterboarding.

So you make a good point. Maybe the curative key is simply to change something. Believe me, by the time Miller twitched that 18 incher on #9, he would have quaffed a double vodka with a hemlock twist to get his nerves under control.

John Kirk

Re: Hobson's Choice: "Yip or sip?" New
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:14:11 PM »

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:27:45 AM by John Kirk »

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »

Gib:

Just saw this.  I entered the world of sobriety 19 months ago.  I was told the game would either become easier or much more difficult as a result. 

For the first couple of months, my putting stroke smoothed out and I thought the game was becoming easier.  It was a short lived mirage.

Since then, my chipping has turned into an uncontrolled spasm and my swing has a tendency to get even shorter and quicker than it normally is. My handicap has risen from 8 to a vanity 14 that probably should be higher except I am usually out of the hole by double bogey and pick up.

I would love to have a day like yours at some point. 

Regardless of what happens to the golf game, life has improved dramatically.  I will take the trade. 

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
Yes, I forgot to add what Jason just said.  I enjoy life way more without the drinking and smoking.  It works for some people, not me.

Terry Lavin

Re: Hobson's Choice: "Yip or sip?" New
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:54:12 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
 8) Gib,

Well, current status hasn't impacted your impressive expressive reporting and typing skills, I recommend a 10 finger grip and keep the glove on while playing, gloves off only as needed.

Cirrhosis of the liver or lung cancer, versus water with a twist, hmmm not much choice there, i'd take the nearest cup of water.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
Gib
First let me be the first two salute the end of your fiendish 16 year nightmare. I heard the anguish when we were together.
I have two anecdotes. My freind Tommy has suffered with tremors for an unspecified time and it is generally acknowledged that the metal water bottle he always totes along from inception is vodka infused and without which he would be at sea.
Todd White on the other hand a fine player from South Carolina whom I know filled out our Walker Cup roster at NGLA at age 41 and whipped up on Rhys Pugh an undefeated flatbelly Welshman at least partially on the strength of a two year complete temperance.

Just sayin. ps you should copyright that short biography
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 04:26:24 AM »
#3. If you had to pick - battling the twitch palsy forever . . . . . or wine, song and bong, which will it be?

I have never been a great putter, so twitch has not hit me - yet. With a son's pending graduation and golf trip with to Ireland with him, this is probably not the season where I will stop drinking after golf, and other. That said, I do monitor it by staying below a Body Mass Index of 25. I am currently 24.5 with a goal of 24.0, which is 208 pounds. When I hit 215, I shut alcohol off completely and 5 pounds seems to disappear in a week, and I prove to myself that sobriety is possible.

As Autism dads, we both know alcohol can be a crutch to get to other side, so I really do respect and support your decisions.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back