News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

The Cavendish Mackenzie Trail Video
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
Five-minute video of 9 Mackenzie-designed courses within 60-mile radius of Buxton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY37Ez_rNzQ

Tommy Williamsen

Re: The Cavendish Mackenzie Trail Video
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
I have played Reddish Vale and Cavendish and fell in love with both of them. They seem to cherish the Dr. Mac legacy. Looking at some of the bunkering on the other seven courses, I wonder how much Dr. Mac is left in them.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:32:03 AM »
The MacKenzie Trail is the brainchild of the excellent and infectiously enthusiastic Mike Watson, recent Captain at Cavendish and keen MacKenzie Society stalwart. The aim is to raise the profile of Dr Mac in general, and of Cavendish in particular. Numerous golfers from the North West and beyond have completed the "trail" and received their certificate!

Cavendish, Reddish Vale, and Nelson are the stand-out courses from this selection, and also the clubs proudest of their MacKenzie heritage. Several of the others have little original work remaining.

The obvious omission from this collection is Bury GC, a lovely course which has not been tinkered with much, apart from the order in which holes are played. I would put it up there with Cavendish and RV, but of course, no-one has ever heard of it!

Nice video if you can stand 20 minutes of Peter Alliss!

https://www.burygolfclub.co.uk/course-flyover
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:46:06 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
I loved Cavendish and enjoyed Reddish Vale, but unlike the Leeds area where I’ve seen some of the lesser-known MacKenzie designs, I’m completely unfamiliar with the rest of these.  When were they built?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 03:11:44 PM »
I loved Cavendish and enjoyed Reddish Vale, but unlike the Leeds area where I’ve seen some of the lesser-known MacKenzie designs, I’m completely unfamiliar with the rest of these.  When were they built?

Tom,

They cover the whole period of Dr MacKenzie's work in England. 

Reddish Vale (1912) was his first full professional commission after completing Alwoodley and Moortown as a founder member.

Hazel Grove came the following year but unfortunately half the original course was lost to an aborted road development in the 1990s. In building nine new holes the club butchered much of the remaining course, adding mediocre USGA greens throughout and all but eliminating anything recognizably McKenzie.

Sitwell Park is famous for the dramatic wild greens MacKenzie provided. Within a couple of years they were flattened out by the club, who by all accounts were not entirely enamoured by MacKenzie's  work. It remains a perfectly acceptable but not particularly memorable hilly parkland course with too many trees.

Nelson is another of MacKenzie's pre WW1 courses and one well worth a visit. Originally nine holes MacKenzie returned after the war to add a second nine.

Bramall Park is a well to do club in the leafy suburbs of South Manchester. MacKenzie did some work there in the 20s but it can hardly be called a MacKenzie course. The centenary book published a few years ago makes no mention whatsoever of him. It would appear that Braid was brought in during the 30s to revamp the course.

Bolton Old Links is another that MacKenzie consulted on and made some changes to in the early 20s. Again the club do not make a big thing of any MacKenzie connection.

Which brings us to Cavendish.  I love this course more every time I play it. I know you were impressed on your visit - you really need to come back and play it again.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:39 AM »
It's really interesting to see how his UK courses varied in style from his US courses and how those varied from the work he did in Australia. Although he may not have designed as many courses as Donald Ross, the quality of his courses from top to bottom, I'd argue, are beyond reproach. Not many, if any stinkers in the 100 or so courses he designed. Can't say that about too many other golden age archies. Not to mention, he worked all over the globe, which was unheard of at the time. Thanks for sharing that video link.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back