News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: Man does not live by golf alone.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 04:37:22 AM »
Grew up with and love skiing. Spent two winters living in the Alps as a ski instructor/guide and skied in excess of 130 days a year in my early 20's after Uni. I've traded it in for 100+ round of golf a year and even spending a lot of time in Munich now close to the Alps I'm not that tempted really, still love it but not enough to prioritize it above golf.

I guess I now live by golf alone but definitely remember the last weekend I was on skis not so many years back (maybe 5) in Argentiere after a huge storm had gone through and dropped about 3 feet of light stuff. Hadn't skied powder in like 8 years, was talked into renting set of K2 Hellbent's, first lift up in the morning, old habits die hard...first run was dropping into  waste deep fresh stuff. Those skis made skiing so ridiculously easy compared to my old 210 cm Kastle Super G's it felt like I was cheating, (maybe comparable to persimmons driver vs. Callaway Epic) That one sunny day with all that fresh stuff is worth a lifetime of chasing ski dreams. It doesn't get better and in the years of skiing 50-100+ days you just don't get more than a handful of those moments. While they may be the greatest experiences in sport, great golf days hugely out-number them and I don't have to worry about taming my crazy self that wants to jump off the next cliff or something like that. On top of that, I'll take links golf in the rain and wind any-day over spending a fortune to ski and have it rain on you.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
Grew up with and love skiing. Spent two winters living in the Alps as a ski instructor/guide and skied in excess of 130 days a year in my early 20's after Uni. I've traded it in for 100+ round of golf a year and even spending a lot of time in Munich now close to the Alps I'm not that tempted really, still love it but not enough to prioritize it above golf.

I guess I now live by golf alone but definitely remember the last weekend I was on skis not so many years back (maybe 5) in Argentiere after a huge storm had gone through and dropped about 3 feet of light stuff. Hadn't skied powder in like 8 years, was talked into renting set of K2 Hellbent's, first lift up in the morning, old habits die hard...first run was dropping into  waste deep fresh stuff. Those skis made skiing so ridiculously easy compared to my old 210 cm Kastle Super G's it felt like I was cheating, (maybe comparable to persimmons driver vs. Callaway Epic) That one sunny day with all that fresh stuff is worth a lifetime of chasing ski dreams. It doesn't get better and in the years of skiing 50-100+ days you just don't get more than a handful of those moments. While they may be the greatest experiences in sport, great golf days hugely out-number them and I don't have to worry about taming my crazy self that wants to jump off the next cliff or something like that. On top of that, I'll take links golf in the rain and wind any-day over spending a fortune to ski and have it rain on you.

Fascinating post. I never figured it is either golf or skiing. We just had 17 inches at Breck last night with 5-9 inches forecast for today. I70 is closed as is the Dam road from Dillon. I will endeavor to make my way to Keystone or ABasin. I wish I could ski powder like you, but growing up on the ice of the east coast I have difficulty, even though I ski some fifty days a year. If I could ski like you I'd walk to the lifts. We have had 65 inches in the last seven days. Tuesday I skied with my son, daughter, and two grandkids. One of my best days ever.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:29:46 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 06:03:39 AM »
Big fan of Alta and Snowbird.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »

Love your Leki poles. Got the same ones. No more straps for me.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
No strained thumbs with the Leki poles!
Incidentally, Wilderness Club may be starting to thrive with 15 homes being built this winter.  I drove right by it's couple years ago on the way to playing Rock Creek.  Wish I had budgeted an extra day, for it deserves a play from the recommendations of the Emperor!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »
No strained thumbs with the Leki poles!
Incidentally, Wilderness Club may be starting to thrive with 15 homes being built this winter.  I drove right by it's couple years ago on the way to playing Rock Creek.  Wish I had budgeted an extra day, for it deserves a play from the recommendations of the Emperor!

Four years ago I tore my ulnar collateral ligament on my right thumb. I was two weeks into five weeks. I landed on my pole. Gotta love the drs in Summit County though. The dr said, "Well you can't hurt it any worse." He fashioned a little brace and told me to ski. I had surgery when I returned in March. Could play golf until October! Went right out and bought the quick release Leki's.
I don't know to much about Wilderness. I do need to get to Montana again.
St. John of the Cross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
Big fan of Alta and Snowbird.

Northern Utah is hard to beat given everything is so close to each other and to Salt Lake International!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
Golf is a year round venture for me, but when I am not playing, I am shooting pool or playing darts. I only wish I was as good at pool as I am at golf. I am headed to a big tournament outside of Philly at the end of the month. Super Billiards Expo. Can't wait.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back