News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Best new course for 2019
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »

I am starting the list of new courses, public or private that should open in 2019. Add to the list as you see fit.

1. Copper Rock, nine holes opened in 2018
http://crgolfcourse.com/copper-rock-golf-course-blog/2017/10/24/new-copper-rock-golf-course-in-hurricane-ut/

2. Nine Grand, Grand Oak Reserve, Mike Nuzzo
https://www.linksmagazine.com/mike-nuzzo-designing-neighborhood-golf-texas/

3. TPC Colorado, preview in 2018,
https://www.golfadvisor.com/photo-galleries/first-look-tpc-colorado-opens-north-of-denver

4. Houston Memorial Park, fall of 2019,

Here is another list of new courses for 2019: https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/new-2019-golf-course-openings

David_Tepper

Re: Best new course for 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
Indiana University redo by Steve Smyers, "opening Spring 2019".
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Greg Clark

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
Texas Rangers Golf Club is opening this year.  It is a new course and practice facility on the grounds of the old Chester W. Ditto municipal course in Arlington, TX.  The work was done by John Colligan and Trey Kemp.  There is some good buzz about this locally.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »
Here's a list by Tim Gavrich published in GolfAdvisor.com:

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/new-2019-golf-course-openings
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
Your list may be intended as US-only (the first post didn’t specify), but Tim’s attached list included overseas courses, and neither mentioned the new Gunnamatta Course at The National in Australia.  It’s a total renovation of the old Ocean course; other than the first and last holes it’s very different.

And of course it has an ocean view, so it should clearly sweep all the awards! 😉😀

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »
1. The Phoenician GC    Total redesign by Phil Smith of a 27 hole course to an 18 hole course.     https://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/in-house/country-clubs/the-new-phoenician-golf-club-now-open    http://azgolfernews.com/article.php?arid=2695
2. New 9 holes for Palm Valley GC.   Owned by Phil Mickelson Golf Properties. Designed by Mike Angus of Mickelson Design, the course was formerly       the Lakes Course at Palm Valley, an "executive par 64 course" that was bulldozed for the new 9 hole West Course     at Palm Valley and  residential development.   http://www.azgolfernews.com/article.php?arid=2678
3.Papago GC New Clubhouse   Finally, it replaces a mid-century modern clubhouse that was well liked but demolished in favor of a more  contemporary design. Home of the ASU golf teams. Very good restaurant for pre or post golf.   http://www.azgolfernews.com/article.php?arid=2679
4. New 9 holes for Copper Canyon GC   This Schmidt-Curley design in the far West Valley  managed by Troon Golf expands to 27 holes. http://news.schmidt-curley.com/Newsletter/Volume14/?page=16
5. New 9 holes for Pebble Creek GC   This residential golf community expands to 54 holes with a 9 hole addition- Eagles Nest, is the original 18 hole course, an Arthur Hills  early 1990s design with Keith Foster as the project architect, Tuscany Falls East is the new name for the former Falls/Palms nines designed by Dick Bailey and Tuscany Falls West is the new name for the former Lakes nine designed by Brad Bartell about 10 years ago and the new nine designed by Tom Schroeder. https://azbigmedia.com/pebblecreek-announces-golf-course-expansion/
6. Renegade @ Desert Mountain.   Renovation   The original Nicklaus course gets a Nicklaus renovation.   https://www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/in-house/country-clubs/jack-back-golden-bear-returns-desert-mountain   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:50:58 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 07:01:07 PM »
The Gunnamatta course at the National on the Mornington Peninsula should have been open for a couple of months. Any feedback?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »

Desert Mountain Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, will open its seventh course – an 18-hole par three layout called 'No. 7 at Desert Mountain' – in spring 2019. The layout has been designed Bill Brownlee and Wendell Pickett, who are both members of Desert Mountain and made their design debut at nearby Wickenburg Ranch

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/desert-mountain-prepares-to-open-seventh-course
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:06:14 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Ohoppee Match Club
Arcadia Bluffs South
Does Pinehurst 4 count?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
Ohoppee Match Club
Arcadia Bluffs South
Does Pinehurst 4 count?

I know all of those opened in 2018, and some of them won awards as such, but they might still qualify as "rookies" for one ranking system or another.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
The Gunnamatta course at the National on the Mornington Peninsula should have been open for a couple of months. Any feedback?

It opened at the end of April, but the club has more than 1000 members, who had to be part of a lottery to score the limited tee times to play it.  I don't think they've hosted a lot of outsiders or raters yet, and probably won't until October or November, since it's winter down there now.

The feedback I've had from the few members I know is very positive, but of course they would say that  ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 02:09:06 AM »
Ohoppee Match Club
Arcadia Bluffs South
Does Pinehurst 4 count?

I know all of those opened in 2018, and some of them won awards as such, but they might still qualify as "rookies" for one ranking system or another.

They are up for GD's best new.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
Given the nature of design now, do we care about these awards? Shouldn't these be listed with the same disdain as rating structures?

I dream of a day when golf people in the know (gpitk) simply comment "great track near the train station/coastline/federal penitentiary/marijuana dispensary...it's new/old/middle-aged." Or, "new course opened up down the road. People like it."

How do you compare a short course, with a redesign, with a restoration, with a new build? The luxury of 1990-2010 has gone away forever.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Given the nature of design now, do we care about these awards? Shouldn't these be listed with the same disdain as rating structures?

How do you compare a short course, with a redesign, with a restoration, with a new build? The luxury of 1990-2010 has gone away forever.

Actually they have like 4-5 categories of "Best New" now, so that every course can win an award.  With as few courses as are being built today, it's kind of silly, but nobody is turning down the free publicity.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

Actually they have like 4-5 categories of "Best New" now, so that every course can win an award.  With as few courses as are being built today, it's kind of silly, but nobody is turning down the free publicity.
This is so true, in that the categories really aren't relevant anymore for there is so few that it is like winning a golf medal for the fastest 100 meter dash for 80+ year olds.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »

It opened at the end of April, but the club has more than 1000 members, who had to be part of a lottery to score the limited tee times to play it.  I don't think they've hosted a lot of outsiders or raters yet, and probably won't until October or November, since it's winter down there now.

The feedback I've had from the few members I know is very positive, but of course they would say that  ;)

Looks like (per their website) the official opening is Nov 3rd, 2019.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 01:45:55 AM »

Looks like (per their website) the official opening is Nov 3rd, 2019.

Yes, that's correct - I know because I'm supposed to play in the opening match.

Memorial Park is slated to open the next day, November 4.  Technically, thanks to the international date line, I could play in both events, but we have other business in Australia & New Zealand so I will have to pass on Houston.  But maybe I will hit a few outts when I am there a week from today for the Houston Open.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »
McLemore - Grand Opening is this coming Monday.  I'll be there to check it out and they have designers, Rees Jones/Bill Bergin in for a discussion led by Charlie Rymer.  Should be a great day.
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:36 AM »
McLemore - Grand Opening is this coming Monday.  I'll be there to check it out and they have designers, Rees Jones/Bill Bergin in for a discussion led by Charlie Rymer.  Should be a great day.

Looks like a great piece of land. Do you know who the original designer was?

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 07:44:17 AM »

Original course called Canyon Ridge and designed by Rick Robbins.  I have played it and I though it was very good.

Chris

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 07:56:32 AM »

Original course called Canyon Ridge and designed by Rick Robbins.  I have played it and I though it was very good.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back