News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Clyde Johnson

Re: UK Knock Out 2019
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
A sunny, but windy afternoon on The Old for the northern section - second round match against Duncan Cheslett.

With the tough conditions, home advantage perhaps made the difference in a 6 & 4 win. Thanks to Duncan for making the effort to travel up and home in the same day.

Plenty of words have already been spent on The Old, but I'll leave a first timer for his thoughts...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
OK.

It's the Summer Solstice tomorrow and we have managed to play 3 games.  Can we please get our collective backsides in gear and play some golf?  I'm likely to start tossing a coin on matches prior to the quarter finals that haven't been played before the end of July.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2019, 03:35:15 AM »
OK.

It's the Summer Solstice tomorrow and we have managed to play 3 games.  Can we please get our collective backsides in gear and play some golf?  I'm likely to start tossing a coin on matches prior to the quarter finals that haven't been played before the end of July.

Spangles has just got a nasty injury so we have delayed our match at Flempton to 1 July - I guess i need to be aware of the injured golfer!  ;D

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2019, 05:47:36 AM »
I wrote a long and detailed report of my match with Clyde and my thoughts on TOC on the train journey home last night - before losing internet connection and then battery power before I could post it! :'(

I'll have another go over the weekend. It was a grand day out, though!

I learned that lugging a set of golf clubs around on public transport is a great conversation starter - almost as good as walking a dog! I had a very enjoyable chat over a couple of pints with a guy at the bar at Waverley Station about the merits of The Old Course. I had to resort to grabbing a Burger King for my tea to avoid missing my train!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:54:24 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

James Boon

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »
I can report that James Reader did a fine job of knocking me out around Sherwood Forest this morning, winning 2&1. Note to self, when someone says they are a country member of a course, find out what kind of country member before taking them on there (member for 35 years, low h'cap of 3 and former club champion, who grew up just down the road from the course!)  ;D

An enjoyable morning none the less despite the result. Biggest regret was that after an early tee time both of us needed to get away swiftly as work beckoned in various forms for both of us.

Sherwood Forest continues to grow in my estimation. Today the greens were nice and firm (despite being poa greens I believe) which suits the heathland character, and they were certainly slick! The main tree clearance was done some years ago, but I think they are still doing bits, and its opening things up nicely and settling in well. A new practice area to the right side of the 18th as you play it will add wonderfully to the facilities.

But the main thing I recall is that the back nine isnt quite the brute that everyone always makes it out to be. Not that much wind today, so the run of long par 4s from 11 to 14, with nice firm fairways, were generally 8 or 9 iron approachs, which shouldnt be too tricky (dont ask  ::)  ) James and I wondered if the back nines reputation started in the days of persimmon drivers etc and technology has taken the teeth out of it?

A very enjoyable day. Thanks James, and good luck in the next round!

[/size][size=78%]Cheers,[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]James[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 10:31:51 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »
Thanks, Jameses.

Ian and I are due to play in a couple of weeks.  How are we doing organising the other outstanding games?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2019, 03:45:52 AM »
Tony Muldoon (15) and I played at a rather charming and unique 9 hole Flempton GC (designed by JH Taylor the least well know of the great triumvirate). Our games were both rather rusty and used electric trolleys to offset our past injuries. We played the 1st nine off the yellows and then the second nine off the whites Tony won 6/4 in the end.

I hope to put a photo thread of Flempton soon in which Tony reckons its a Doak 5. It is unusual with 3 x 3 loops each coming back to the clubhouse, 75 bunkers on a rather tight site (40-45 acres) which felt like it was plenty of room between the holes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:50:28 AM by Ben Stephens »

James Reader

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »

But the main thing I recall is that the back nine isnt quite the brute that everyone always makes it out to be. Not that much wind today, so the run of long par 4s from 11 to 14, with nice firm fairways, were generally 8 or 9 iron approachs, which shouldnt be too tricky (dont ask  ::)  ) James and I wondered if the back nines reputation started in the days of persimmon drivers etc and technology has taken the teeth out of it?

A very enjoyable day. Thanks James, and good luck in the next round!

[size=78%]Cheers,[/size]

Thank you James. As you say, a really enjoyable day.

As I used to play Sherwood virtually every day for several years in the 80s (literally - the joy of the opening 4 hole loop was that i could at least squeeze that in after school on even the shortest winter’s day) but haven’t played it more than 2-3 times a year over the past twenty years, I feel like I’m in an unusual position to notice the changes that equipment has made in that time. 

As a much better golfer 30 years ago, i very rarely used to hit anything less than a 5 iron into any the stretch at Sherwood from 11 to 14 (and usually more - I remember one particularly windy day hitting wood into 7 greens on the back 9).  Now, as James says, they’re all short irons after a good drive.  Both our drives on 12 yesterday were in a place where only the very longest hitters would have reached in the days of persimmon and balata.

It’s still a great stretch of holes but doesn’t have the teeth it used to. I suspect the same can be said of many a “tough par 4” of 30+ years ago.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »
News on the Pearce/Galbraith Northern QF imminently.  Any news on Payne/Lawrence or McIntosh/Wiggett matches?

Given that for those players there are a possible 4 rounds left, I'm going to have to impose a cut off to play those matches if I don't hear from them soon.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »

Mark,

I refer you to the PM I sent you on the 9th of this month and your reply  ;)

Jon

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
News on the Pearce/Galbraith Northern QF imminently.  Any news on Payne/Lawrence or McIntosh/Wiggett matches?

Given that for those players there are a possible 4 rounds left, I'm going to have to impose a cut off to play those matches if I don't hear from them soon.

"Imminently" will be tomorrow as the wife had white wine open when I got home and I had to save her from the rest of it.  :)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Sorry Jon, senility setting in.

Mike, can you show Jon proceeding from that match,please?

Giles?  Adam?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
Mike, can you show Jon proceeding from that match,please?
Mark - where was their match played?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »

"Imminently" will be tomorrow as the wife had white wine open when I got home and I had to save her from the rest of it.  :)

...and they say chivalry is dead.

I hope she thanked you☺
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
Giles and I talked about arranging a time and place several months ago but it has gone the way of all flesh. I'm not going to be able to get it done in the near future so had better scratch and let Giles take on a more reliable opponent.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
After a lot of diary to-ing and fro-ing Mark and I convened at Elie yesterday to contest our match. I realise the intention was to sample some new courses but since I’ve only played Elie the once the temptation of playing there again was too strong to resist.

The preceeding days have been warm and calm so I though we were set fair for a fine evening on the links.  Once I had changed into my long pants, we were off and it was great to be reacquainted with the wonderfully natural green sites of Elie.

The match itself can be summarized as “Ian’s play was a bit ropey and Mark’s iron play and putting were 1stclass” – so the result was a pretty straightforward and well deserved win for the home side.

Sadly the rain started after a few holes and persisted all evening. It was warm and sticky so not sure if it was better to have waterproofs on or off – either way you were soaked through!

It was good to catch up with Mark again after the Brora/Golspie BUDA, and thanks for hosting. A revenge match at the West Links will hopefully be arranged at some point.

Good luck in the next round Mark.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2019, 12:09:12 PM »
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:12:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2019, 03:11:51 AM »
Thanks, Ian.  We were incredibly unlucky with the weather.  I was rather dreading the Summer Meeting the following morning with an apocalyptic forecast but, as it turned out the morning stayed dry.  I'll look forward to a return at NBWL!

Thanks Adam.  We now have our last 8.  Can we try o get these matches played by the end of August, please?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2019, 06:00:52 AM »
A fine afternoon at Lamberhurst GC with Mr Chaplin. 

A good example of a members parkland course where tree planting is 'restrained' and mostly well back from corridors of play. Great routing down to a  trout filled stream and up the other side, constantly changing direction.  We played at 6448 yards and Driver was not an option on every hole. Very interesting greens with some wicked pin positions. I would happily return.

Mark was never behind but I got back to level twice.  The deciding hole was no 16. I drove behind a tree in the right (well managed) rough and ptched out to the second part of the fairway - up on a ridge.  When I got to my ball I was very surprised to find it in a 15' deep 'gravel pit'.

One up to Mark (who had local knowledge as he grew up on the course!)  I missed a 4' putt on the 18th to take it to extra holes.
Neither of of us covered ourselves with glory, but as so often in Matchplay, the better putter won.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:26:56 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

James Reader

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
Giles and I are playing at Beau Desert next Friday.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2019, 03:24:09 AM »
Giles and I are playing at Beau Desert next Friday.
Excellent choice of venue!  Look forward to hearing the result.  Jon and I will be playing the last weekend of August, at a yet to be decided venue somewhere between Inverness and Newcastle!  Niall, Clyde, plans set to complete our semi-final line up?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back