News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: UK Knock Out 2019
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
I will update the bracket with your handicaps as you make them known!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2019, 03:54:19 AM »

David,

we must do.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
Robin and I are playing our match at The Himalayas, 23/05/19

(I thought of adding this to the thread about great courses on a small acreage!)

I expect Robin to take pictures and post a full course review.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
Let's play some golf, chaps...
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »
Tim

We couldn’t possibly have the defending champion bowing out in such a fashion, besides a May date would mean I get to stay in the competition longer !

Michael/Clyde – maybe if you guys want to play your tie earlier you could crack on and do that rather than waiting for Tim and myself.

Niall

Tim

Now that May is nearly upon us, do you want to put something in the diary. I'm now off for the last two weeks of May so can play when suits.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2019, 06:05:02 PM »
In a truly Titanic (well, I went down like it!) match at Dr MacKenzie’s splendid Pitreavie Golf Club here in the Kingdom of Fife, Galbraith, I. thrashed Bonnar, M. by a dog licence (the good old 7 and 6!)
Refereed and witnessed by Carlton, N. and Cameron, M., the match remained fairly even for six holes before Ian decided that sympathetic cameraderie is no way to treat such an important golfing occasion and started cranking up the big dog and the putter and mercilessly crushed me like a beetle underfoot.
Well done, Mr G and good luck with future ties.
On a happier note, the Course was looking and playing extremely well, bringing great joy to the assembled congregation, who quite magnanimously sung its praises.
Luckily, tomorrow I’m fishing, not golfing. So I’ve got that going for me!
F.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »
Any news on the Graham/Johnson spat? I'm itching to get started!

FWIW I'm down to 12  (11.7 to be precise)  8)

Niall C

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Unfortunately Tim is unable to play me due to other commitments and I've reluctantly agreed he should give me a bye. Hopefully we'll get a game later in the year just to see what would have happened  :)

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
Unfortunately Tim is unable to play me due to other commitments and I've reluctantly agreed he should give me a bye. Hopefully we'll get a game later in the year just to see what would have happened  :)

Niall

Spawny Git...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 05:36:25 PM »

Niall

Spawny Git...
This is more than mildly unfortunate.  Does Tim not want to defend the crown?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Graham

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 06:11:02 PM »
Clyde and I played our tie on a wet, windy afternoon at Mortonhall today. Always interesting to get another golfer’s perspective on your home course, particularly from someone in the golf industry.

Despite having home course advantage I couldn’t keep up with Clyde’s stellar play. Clyde played well and more than deserved to go through to the next round. He at least won it rather than me losing.

Three years and three first round exits. It’s the hope that kills you.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2019, 11:59:51 PM »
Clyde and I played our tie on a wet, windy afternoon at Mortonhall today. Always interesting to get another golfer’s perspective on your home course, particularly from someone in the golf industry.

Despite having home course advantage I couldn’t keep up with Clyde’s stellar play. Clyde played well and more than deserved to go through to the next round. He at least won it rather than me losing.

Commiserations Michael and well done Clyde!

Very much looking forward to catching up with Clyde again - we played at Reddish Vale several years ago.

Are you still based in St Andrews, Clyde?  I've never played the Old Course!  ;)

Niall C

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »

Maybe time to instigate a plate tournament !

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
It's June, guys.  Great to see a couple of games played in the North.  Can the South please get going?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Clyde and I are playing on June 17th.

Venue TBC

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
A quick follow-up/report from Friday...

I'm not sure playing at Michael's home-course was strictly in the spirit of this KO, but Mortonhall was a course I'd wanted to see for a while, has not really been profiled here, and has this winter begun a Tom MacKenzie renovation.

Tucked on the southern fringes of Braid Hills, Mortonhall’s sense of adventure is more in keeping with the stereotypically polished inhabitants of Scotland’s capital city than its wild neighbour. A narrow tract takes the first somewhat blindly up-hill, and from there things begin to open-out. The short third hints at potential - namely in the form of green expansion - a shame as it has just been re-worked:

There is a burgeoning boldness to the terrain of the long fourth, which is driven across at the layback and pitch sixth; a sharply turning four, which should be approached from the outside, completes a triangle of sorts.

A brief upsurge of quality is unexpectedly found after an uphill drive at the ninth: turning almost ninety right from a shelf, the green sits semi-blindly on a precarious spine!

With distant views of North Berwick Law, the next drops to a deceptively slanted and skinny green on the edge of a sheer slope:

The golf is somewhat back and forth, up and down, but with that brings half-holes suited to this Golf Club Atlas match – the (reachable in two) twelfth is draped over opposing slopes, while the return is deceptively all carry. Three holes track around a rocky periphery buried in gorse: if only conditions were keener for the falling away sixteenth...! Seventeen cutely carries a pond, though the blindly sweeping finisher will live longest in the memory.

So...An enjoyable match with only 3 shots to give (5 versus 8 ) - Michael was just unlucky to catch me on a rare good day.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:46:43 AM by Clyde Johnson »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
Robin and I are playing our match at The Himalayas, 23/05/19

(I thought of adding this to the thread about great courses on a small acreage!)

I expect Robin to take pictures and post a full course review.

So...I was there...on the Himalayas...on the appointed day...having travelled all the way up from the south of England...and Tony never showed up...despite being on the New Course less than a hundred yards away! Outrageous!!

Whilst all this is completely true, I had in fact already conceded my match to Tony, due to my ongoing recovery from knee surgery preventing me from playing. He can have the pleasure of taking on bruiser Ben Stephens with my blessing. Good luck lads!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »

James Reader

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
James and I are playing on 5 July at Sherwood Forest.

Niall C

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
Clyde

Well done in your match and many thanks for posting those photos of Mortonhall. If they could just take a chainsaw to that pear shaped pine it would make those holes look that bit more appealing but as it is they look in your photos they certainly appeal to my eye. Nice use of natural landforms by the looks of things.

Niall

Ben Stephens

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2019, 02:39:11 PM »
I confirm that Tony and I are playing our match at Flempton GC on 24th June.

It looks a rather interesting JH Taylor designed nine hole course with plenty of bunkers to negotiate.

www.flemptongolfclub.co.uk

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2019, 12:43:40 AM »
In what may be seen as a suicidal piece of bravado, I am playing Clyde Johnson on June 20th at his home club.

I've never played there before and this is too good an opportunity to pass up.

The Old Course here we come!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back