News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Prairie Club - Nebraska
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Was this a giant miss on architects selected?

Seems like it should be the top of everyone's list and yet it doesn't seem like anyone is hurrying out there to play.

If they had gone with Doak, Kidd, etc. would we all be out there every Summer..

Tim Gavrich

Re: Prairie Club - Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
FWIW, the courses are #41 and #89 on Golf Digest's Top 100 Public ranking. Sounds pretty strong; I'd love to go play out there, based on what I've seen and read.

What makes you say people aren't "hurrying out there to play"?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
"giant miss" is a very strong statement!  Have you played them?
Both courses have some sensational features and a couple holes that could be better.  However, the land is not in the same league with DR, SH, or B!  The par 3 course is exceptional
I think with a few tweaks, the Lehman course could be elevated a couple more notchs---the drivable par 4 presents a tougher approach than simply missing the green short left or anywhere within reason left.
The day I played two summers ago, there was a pretty good number of players on a Wednesday.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
If they were private, this crowd would be oohing and aahing over them and they would have easily made somebody's top ten experience of the year.  It's a pretty tony neighborhood. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JHoulihan

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Steve,

Are you wondering about clubs decision on architect(s) chosen or architect(s) first asked?

It is not exactly in a major metro which can be a blessing and a curse. I believe Doak said that he has yet to see the property and rate it, and it seems many others have taken the same stance. Why is this, I guess others will have to respond to see.

I personally went in 2017 and loved it.

Justin

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »

I played all three in a day a few years ago, and I thought they were all pretty darn good.  I disagree with a miss on the architects, as both are very worthy, if they aren't household names.  AND they were ahead of the curve with the short course available from the start, not after all the other resorts had them.

Perhaps not the top public courses in the US, but I think the national public rankings have them well-situated, if not a touch low.

It certainly suffers from where it is, and its high-quality neighbors.

It's well-documented how "accessible" Sand Valley and Streamsong are to major airports...Bandon's remoteness compares but it has five courses and the ocean, and it doesn't have the Sandhills privates nearby taking away buddy trips for those with connections.

From a public standpoint, I'd argue a Wild Horse/Bayside and the Prairie Club triple would make for an amazing 2-4 days of golf.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:18:07 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »

Played Dunes and Pines in 2014. Good design but poor conditioning for an enjoyable round. Many of the Dunes bunkers were bereft of sand. The Pines had lush 6" rough with no intermediate cut and we lost at least six balls. Winter kill on greens was much more severe than courses a little bit south, which is no fault of theirs. I would expect that those areas have been addresses since I visited.

Whether or not they rise to a "7" ranking is an individual choice. If you were at Dismal River or Sand Hills (100 miles away)
would you take the additional time to go up and play the Prairie Club?

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »
If you were at Dismal River or Sand Hills (100 miles away)

No

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
Ironically, I had a text exchange about this very subject today with a GCA guy.
I regret I haven't made it to Prairie Club or Wild Horse or Sutton Bay.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »

Played Dunes and Pines in 2014.

Whether or not they rise to a "7" ranking is an individual choice. If you were at Dismal River or Sand Hills (100 miles away)

That's a loaded question since you have to leave an 8 or 9 or 10 to drive the two hours, and that is The Prairie Club's main handicap: it really has to be a 9 to attract attention.

They should make it a sister club to Western Gailes, Dunbar, Prince's, The Berkshire, and a few other courses which have the same handicap.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »

I tried to unload it with "additional". The Pacific Gales course will face the same dilemma. Perhaps another way to ask the question.
You are invited to play Sand Hills or Dismal River as a guest.  Would you spend a couple of days ahead of time at a pretty good course in the area to get in some good practice?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:26:29 PM by Pete_Pittock »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »
The Dunes course is a real pleasure to play and behold. Very good rythm and some creative spots which I can't quite recall in the routing. reminds me a bit of Ols Macdonald the way it lays on the landscape
The Pines course is beautifully situated on the canyon top riverside and weaves in and out of a Savannah type flora. Enjoyable but to us the offputtting feature was the very fussy micro lobed bunker margins; they looked like those 500 piece jigsaw pieces sometimes. But they are just too far away and never recieved the hype to become globally recognized destination golf. I would love to go and stay a couple days
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
I played them a few years ago and they were both over watered and soft. I was really disappointed. I played Dismal, Sand Hills, Sutton Bay, Wildhorse, and Hawktree on same trip. The others were firm and fast. The accommodations were great. Food was fine, but I just couldn't get over the soft conditions.
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
I played them a few years ago and they were both over watered and soft. I was really disappointed. I played Dismal, Sand Hills, Sutton Bay, Wildhorse, and Hawktree on same trip. The others were firm and fast. The accommodations were great. Food was fine, but I just couldn't get over the soft conditions.

Does The Prairie Club allow golf carts on the fairways?  Because if you are going to use carts, you're going to have to water more.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »

Tom,
Yes, they allow carts on fairways.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
I enjoyed my two half days and a night there.  The Lehman course is large, muscular, and very much in keeping with the vast, windswept prairie landscape.  The other is more traditional which makes for a nice contrast.  Conditioning was so-so.  Housing is akin to many mid-level hotels, e.g. a Hampton Inn; the food was above average and service was good.  Pricing was very attractive in comparison to Sand Hills and Dismal River.  With the horse course and putting clock, it is probably a great venue for a 3-day buddies trip.

Lyndell Young

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
If your the kind of golfer to travel to Dismal / Sandhills you probably don't mind a couple more hrs. to play another good track!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
I kind of equate it to going to Monterey.  If you have the money and access to play the offerings near 17 mile drive...why would you wander over to Bayonet and Black Horse...even though its only 10-15 minutes away?

Brock Lynch

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
I agree with Kalen. When in Seattle, I have played nothing but Chambers Bay. Other courses have been suggested to me. Why would I play somewhere else when I play Chambers?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »
The OP made me think: an architect is not only offering a design, he is also promising an experience. And just as few can separate the architecture from the course (and its setting), I suppose only a few can separate the actual experience from the promise (and the expectations). A golf course is a field of play, yes, but it's also a canvas on which to paint our dreams. And few want to dream small anymore, or merely about a very good round of golf.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:00:53 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Slifkin would have a great choice...but, we never knew what became of him. And, if alive, he's likely very old by now.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

Does The Prairie Club allow golf carts on the fairways?  Because if you are going to use carts, you're going to have to water more.

I think every course we played allowed carts in the fairway. The others were still firm and fast. The rough right around the first couple of greens on the Dunes was so thick you couldn't find your ball if you hit it in there.
Mr Hurricane

Ken Moum

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
They should make it a sister club to Western Gailes, Dunbar, Prince's, The Berkshire, and a few other courses which have the same handicap.

Like Nairn Dunbar, Golspie and Fraserburgh.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back