News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

How do you decide on scale?
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
Thinking about the untimely death of Forrest Fezler, got me thinking about Strantz's courses. I have played all of them except Bull Bay. I played Caledonia and Tru Blue on the same day. Caledonia is on a smaller site. It was tight and the scale small. True Blue is massive, kinda like Royal New Kent and the scale is large.

My question is, is the site size the the biggest determinant of scale?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

Re: How do you decide on scale?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »
Thinking about the untimely death of Forrest Fezler, got me thinking about Strantz's courses. I have played all of them except Bull Bay. I played Caledonia and Tru Blue on the same day. Caledonia is on a smaller site. It was tight and the scale small. True Blue is massive, kinda like Royal New Kent and the scale is large.

Vegetation is also a big determinant of scale.  If you're playing through narrow tree-lined corridors, it doesn't matter how many acres you're on. 

Caledonia saved a lot of trees.  Prestwick in Scotland is probably just as small a site, and it has much bigger scale because of its openness.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: How do you decide on scale?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »

Vegetation is also a big determinant of scale.  If you're playing through narrow tree-lined corridors, it doesn't matter how many acres you're on. 

Caledonia saved a lot of trees.  Prestwick in Scotland is probably just as small a site, and it has much bigger scale because of its openness.

I have played some tree lined courses that do feel hemmed in, sometimes because of trees and sometimes because the architect seemed to want to keep the courses bunkers, greens on the small size. Prestwick did have a bigger scale than the site seemed to provide.

By the same token RND is on a pretty big site, yet with few exceptions (ie.bunker on four) the  scale doesn't seem that big. Have we gone through cycles? It seems that some golden agers the scale was enormous, but after WW2 many courses lost some of that. I am not necessarily thinking of width only, but size of bunkers etc.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back