News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Criss Titschinger

Re: Golfing highlight of 2018
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
Kiawah Ocean, with the first tee-time out, in perfect weather, will forever be hard to beat.

Only being 2 over through 5 holes, which included paring 2 and 4 (#3 and #1 handicap holes), was cool. Pulling off a courageous fade on 13 was fun. Stiffing it to 8 feet on 17 was pretty cool. Enjoying a post-round Ocean Course Ale by Low Tide Brewing at what has to be one of the best 19th holes in golf was the icing on the cake.

David Amarnek

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
Being a member at wonderful clubs where I live (St. Louis), where I used to live (Philly) and now at my favorite place to travel (London), just can’t be beat.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2018, 06:15:04 AM »
Not strictly a golfing highlight, but the picnic of Chateau Talbot and Co-Op Scotch Eggs that I shared with some good friends, both British and American,  besides the 7th tee at Askernish was unquestionably a moment to remember. The Picnic at the Edge of the World. The golf was pretty special too!

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
I didn’t get to play a lot of new courses this year but one highlight was seeing Erskine GC while going up and down the Clyde River on the way to Glasgow; sure looked like a fun place to golf your ball. Anyone have any experience there?

Mr Lavallee

I'm stunned, flabbergasted, amazed, totally perplexed and shocked even, that you came to Glasgow and didn't say hello ?!! Dear, dear, dear.

Re Erskine - originally a bit of Robert Maxwell, then totally redesigned by Willie Fernie before Dr MacKenzie and James Braid got their hands on it. Not a great course by any means (the first is a ninety degree dogleg played with a mid-iron off the tee) but very enjoyable and some really good holes.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 07:31:31 AM »
Apart from the GCA get togethers already mentioned which are always special, the two actual golfing highlights for me were firstly playing the last hole of the St Olafs course at Cruden Bay on my own. Not that I got a hole in one or anything like it but if there is a better short hole in the north of Scotland, I've yet to see it.

The second highlight was when we had the mini beast from the east here in the UK. We were due to have a clan gathering based on a game at Elie but that got cancelled by the weather. Sean Arble and myself met at Bamburgh the day before and played the historic nine holer at Alnmouth which was new for me, followed by a drive up to North Berwick to meet up with Ian Galbraith for a game on the West Links. There's always something special getting wrapped up in four layers of clothing to go out and play when every other sensible head is sitting indoors with their feet up.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
Other  playing with my dad and brother about 10 rounds this year, I would say:
Minor self brag, but after all the title is your golfing highlight.

1. Shooting my career best at Riviera CC, which I was playing for my first time at 70 with a birdie at 18.  Of note I played with our Vaughn Halyard, and unfortunately hole 7 wasn't open so probably more like a 74, as I only completed 17 holes.

2.  First time playing North Berwick, I pulled out my 4 wood at hole 18 and drove the green to about 15 feet.  The eagle putt....... well at least it wasn't short.  ;D ;D ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

jvisser

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
The big surprise of the year was being invited to officiate at The Open at Carnoustie; what a great week it was!Immediately followed by a cool week in Dornoch playing all the courses in the area.
Thanks to David Tepper for his house as an ideal base and John Wiggett for joining me for a round at Tain.

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
An October play at George Wright with my son Jack.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 06:32:46 PM »
🇦🇺
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »

1. Shooting my career best at Riviera CC, which I was playing for my first time at 70 with a birdie at 18.  Of note I played with our Vaughn Halyard, and unfortunately hole 7 wasn't open so probably more like a 74, as I only completed 17 holes.

2.  First time playing North Berwick, I pulled out my 4 wood at hole 18 and drove the green to about 15 feet.  The eagle putt....... well at least it wasn't short.  ;D ;D ;D

Nice day for a 12 handicap. MSB... Mega Sand Bagger.

Name: Jeff Schley[/size]Age: 44Marital Status: Never married, no kids (haven't been blessed)Live: Saudi ArabiaProfession: Run University Relations for Saudi AramcoHdcp: 12Home Courses: Rolling Hills GC, Dhahran - Saudi ArabiaFavourite courses: Chicago GC, Baltursol, Pacific Dunes, Winged Foot, Innwood in Joliet, Ill. only course I ever played growing up as my dad worked there part time..[/color]

Jeff Schley

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2018, 12:56:53 AM »

Nice day for a 12 handicap. MSB... Mega Sand Bagger.

Name: Jeff SchleyAge: 44Marital Status: Never married, no kids (haven't been blessed)Live: Saudi ArabiaProfession: Run University Relations for Saudi AramcoHdcp: 12Home Courses: Rolling Hills GC, Dhahran - Saudi ArabiaFavourite courses: Chicago GC, Baltursol, Pacific Dunes, Winged Foot, Innwood in Joliet, Ill. only course I ever played growing up as my dad worked there part time..
HAHA......If I could do it whenever I wanted it wouldn't be one of my 2 highlights for the entire year.
Or .... is this your own code for simply saying, "nice shot!"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:01:43 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Jeff,

I think what he's saying is since when do 12 cappers even sniff shooting a 70 on a easy course, much less at Riviera?  I was a 12 for about a year and a half and the best I could manage was two 79s in that period...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:44:42 PM by Kalen Braley »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2018, 05:52:36 PM »
I played 3 courses in one day for the first time ever (I felt like Cory Lewis) and played 99 holes in fours days which is alot for a guy that usually averages 12 rounds a year.  I played Shoal Creek for the first time with some great friends and had a great time.  Big disappointment was getting rained out of Sweetens Cove when I had arranged a group of 12 to go in November.  Looking forward to a great 2019.

Tim Martin

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
I played 3 courses in one day for the first time ever (I felt like Cory Lewis) and played 99 holes in fours days which is alot for a guy that usually averages 12 rounds a year.  I played Shoal Creek for the first time with some great friends and had a great time.  Big disappointment was getting rained out of Sweetens Cove when I had arranged a group of 12 to go in November.  Looking forward to a great 2019.
Brock-It wasn’t at The Tradition Golf Club on that 98 degree with 99 percent humidity September morning? I guess jilted about covers it. :'(

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
Being a member at wonderful clubs where I live (St. Louis), where I used to live (Philly) and now at my favorite place to travel (London), just can’t be beat.

David, where is this logo from?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:11:26 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JMEvensky

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »

David, where is this logo from?

Not David but Gulph Mills.

David Amarnek

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »
JMEvensky,
Thanks for answering Tommy's question.
A great logo representing the A. J. Drexel Paul Cup Trophy.
The gifts provided for participating in the AJDP Cup and AJDP Seniors Cup have the golf club removed and the trophy simply stands alone. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back